Where to from here?
Feb 7, 2007 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

porschemad911

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, upgraditis has struck again.

I love my current system is listed in my signature, but I can't help but feel that I'm missing out on something. Not bass so much, as I'm not a real basshead, and am satisfied with the bass output of my K501 (although I wouldn't knock back a *little* more), but on occasion detail and clarity.

What I mean is, some tracks sound sensational, the clarity and purity of the sound is superb, but others sound a little vague. I think it has something to do with the complexity of the particular track in question. When it's good it almost moves me to tears, I just sit on the floor in front of my rig transfixed. But when it's bad it's like I'm straining to hear what the track *really* sounds like.

So what should I upgrade? Or is my current equipment well balanced, and a significant improvement would involve upgrading source, amp and 'phones all in one? For me a beautiful midrange is where it's at. I know the K-501 can deliver, but are my amp and source holding it back a little?

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 9
I'll add my equipment history and musical tastes so you all have a little more information.

History:
Chaintech AV-710 --> CMOY --> Sennheiser HD497
Denon DCD-615 CDP --> Harman Kardon HK3480 stereo receiver --> Sennheiser HD595
Rig in sig

Music:
Quite diverse, instrumental, blues, classical, hymns, jazz, rock, pop, folk, but my favourite music of all is Sons of Korah (http://sonsofkorah.com/).

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Oh well, I didn't think I'd get any responses, is a bit of a tricky question.

I've decided I won't change a thing. Last night I listened to Missy Higgins 'The Sound of White', and I got the same feeling that I was missing something. So what did I do? Turned the volume up to 10:00, and voila, plenty of bass impact and beautiful clarity!

I'm off to buy a classical guitar instead! Who knows, maybe one day I'll listen to my own recordings on my K501 lol.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Did you get the guitar yet?

If not, I'd recommend taking a look at the Beyerdynamic DT880 and the Sony MDR-SA5000. They have great mids, a touch more bass, and are more forward in the upper registers. The DT880 is especially revealing.

The other part of your system that might be making things a little vague is your amp. I love tubes, but solid state really sharpens things up. You should look into getting one.

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 9
Yes, yes I got my guitar. A cheapie (but a goodie my teacher tells me) Yamaha C-40, and have been learning for a few months now.

It's wonderful! I love music, and creating it is very special. Even better than listening to it.

Uncle Erik I sent you a PM re SS amp for my K-501. My LDII+ has started arcing again.
frown.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 9
I think switching to solid state may remove some of the vagueness. Tubes tend to make things darker than than they are.

edit: my b, just read what uncle eric said. Indee, tubes add bass to the music which can be overpowering.

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 9
if they sound a "little vague", i agree it's time to grab the DT880... they are great HP!

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 9
... btw... you should also try to hear the K701... such an improvement over K501!... ... ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back