Where to find premade circuits for mounting in custom cabinet?
Dec 28, 2007 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mahkook

100+ Head-Fier
It has been years (20 to be exact) since I took an electronics class. I want to build a small custom amp for $$$ reasons, but don't feel my skills are up to snuff to solder together a circuit. What I am good at though is wood work as I am a woodshop teacher and I want to build a custom cabinet to house a beautiful tube amp. Where can I find a good premade tube amp all ready to go minus case (and say jacks, tubes, etc... simple to add items)? I saw one on ebay from China, but I have my reservations about ordering one from there.

Any pointers anyone? It would be greatly appreciated! (I would even consider doing a collaboration with a builder... say they do 2 amp circuits and I build 2 custom exotic wood cabinets then we each have one complete amp!)

Thanks much!
Ryan

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 3
I would strongly recommend option 2 , choose an amp that you like the idea of, even better if you can get to hear one. I suspect we will try and get a Portland session lined up in the spring again, but if you have a narrower time line just do a ton of reading and ask as many questions as necessary. I think that getting one built will better serve your cost/ build quality for the expense..dB

ps ygpm

Dec 29, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 3
An option would be to go over to diytube.com :: Index and look into the ST35. Shannon has done a suberb job of re-implimenting the Dynaco ST-35 and the process is as simple as it gets. I am a big fan of wood chassis DIY classics, it eats up a great deal of my time. The forum there can help you.

You can probably do a bit more E work than you give yourself credit for,
$10 garage sale recievers are great solder practice.
But I would bet you would have no problem trading raw boards, parts or transformers for pre-build work to put into your own chassis. If you want to go a bit deeper, the ST-70 is also a fully available build that lends itself to a wood chassis, and again Shannons board designs are first rate.

Properly implimented, both amps will directly compete sound wise with amps costing in the 4 figure range, not Asian low $ knock-offs either .

There are also very nice steel chassis available from Soundtastic that can easily be encased in woodwork greatly simplifying your task. Check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back