Where to demo headphones in Dallas?
Apr 5, 2008 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

BHTX

Head-Fier
..As the title says. Dallas, Texas area. Interested in circumaural cans. Had HD497's for years, which I couldn't stand. Just got Beyer DT770/80's a week or so ago and I hate them..

I keep seeing people posting things about trying out headphones in Guitar Center stores, yet every Guitar Center I've been to doesn't do this. Matter of fact, I went to the nearest one just before buying these DT770's on eBay without hearing them first.

On another note.. seems to me as though all headphones are far from 'flat', which I have yet to really know what that is as far as headphones go. There's no standard for what is flat. It's dumb and makes things difficult. Seems to me like all headphones' responses are just really screwed up in different areas, some not quite so bad as others.. and some in just the right areas that it makes them enjoyable to some people on certain music, etc.. and people perceive it as being detailed and whatnot, so they charge $500 for them or whatever. It's kinda hopeless I guess. Accuracy doesn't seem to exist with headphones.

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BHTX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..As the title says. Dallas, Texas area. Interested in circumaural cans. Had HD497's for years, which I couldn't stand. Just got Beyer DT770/80's a week or so ago and I hate them..

I keep seeing people posting things about trying out headphones in Guitar Center stores, yet every Guitar Center I've been to doesn't do this. Matter of fact, I went to the nearest one just before buying these DT770's on eBay without hearing them first.

On another note.. seems to me as though all headphones are far from 'flat', which I have yet to really know what that is as far as headphones go. There's no standard for what is flat. It's dumb and makes things difficult. Seems to me like all headphones' responses are just really screwed up in different areas, some not quite so bad as others.. and some in just the right areas that it makes them enjoyable to some people on certain music, etc.. and people perceive it as being detailed and whatnot, so they charge $500 for them or whatever. It's kinda hopeless I guess. Accuracy doesn't seem to exist with headphones.

You might try Audio Concepts, or Hillcrest HiFi...

AudioConcepts Products- Cables, Furniture and Accessories

Contacting Hillcrest High Fidelity

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 23
Hillcrest was absorbed by Tweeter right before they all went under, unless that was miraculously resurrected somehow.

AudioConcepts is about it - other than a head-fi meet - most likely mid summer.

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 23
Yeah.. I have yet to ever go to Tweeter. They don't show much of anything online. Intstead they tell you to go to their store if u want to see more, lol. They probably won't even demo them. As for AudioConcepts, I used to go there alot with my dad when I was a kid before he passed away. I still have 2 pairs of my dad's speakers and a couple Arcam Alpha 9 amps in storage... along with tens of thousands of dollars worth of other stuff I need to sell. It's insane, seems endless.
frown.gif

I figured a meet would probably be the only place. Pretty sad. No wonder all these people around here have tried so many cans and sold them. I've already been through that with stereo equipment and DIY over the last several years, along with other stuff. The thought of doing it again with anything else nauseates me. Bummer...

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 23
Wooo I know reviving this old thread haha. If anyone cares I'm going to check out audioconcepts tomorrow it's still shows up on google maps (crossing my fingers). I have been looking for a place to demo cans forever and guess what there's one not 5 miles from my house haha.

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 23
Just to let everyone know audio concepts is still up. You can demo Sennheisers and Grado headphones along with some killer speakers. Everyone who works there is awesome and knows what they're talking about. If you are looking for some Sennheisers or Grado and in Dallas id stop by there. They have nice prices and if you need upgraded wires they can order them for you.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 23
A bit of a thread resurrection, but I am in Dallas visiting relatives, and after much searching, discovered and visited Audio Concepts today. This was the first time I have had the chance to listen to headphones better than my M50s. The listening area included a variety of Grado (SR125, RS2i) and Sennheiser (HD595, HD600, HD650, HD800 and a couple others) models, and 1 headphone amp (I don't remember the model, I hadn't heard of it before, but he said it cost $1150, so it can't be too bad). The chap that assisted me was quite friendly and helpful; I do believe I will buy something there next time I am in the area.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
A major thread resurrection here, but visiting the Audioconcepts site now http://www.audioconceptsonline.com/productsaccessories.htm

I can only seem to find Grado and PSB headphones? What happened to others, like Sennheisers, as menitoned by Electrogeek? 

Audio Concepts at Prestonwood Shopping Center have Grados, as well as Senns... and some others - I demoed the PS500's and the HD800's there last spring... and... decided against the HD800's in favor of the PS500's, which were much better.

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Audio Concepts at Prestonwood Shopping Center have Grados, as well as Senns... and some others - I demoed the PS500's and the HD800's there last spring... and... decided against the HD800's in favor of the PS500's, which were much better.

Oh man, Senns are pretty expensive.
A shame they don't have other options like Shure, Beyerdynamic, etc. I can't seem to find any other headphone shops in Dallas :frowning2: 

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 23
looks like this thread has been dead for a while, but I was at Audio Concepts last week and the selection of headphones to try were a little thin. They have PSBs, a few Beyer Dynamics, and several Grados.  They do have an excellent set up to test out their headphones with a nice adapter for ipods. I want to go back and try the PSBs because I was their listening to some of their speakers, and now I have to save up for some Imagine t2s

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 23
Yeah I'm surprised there aren't more places to choose from in Dallas. I've been searching for a while and haven't really found anything other than what's been mentioned. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 23
Went back to Audio Concepts again today. They have added the Sennheiser 600, 650, and 700.  Also picked up the Rega EAR while I was there.  Trying to remember everything that they currently carry, what I remember is; Grado 60i, 80i, 325, RS2. For Beyer Dynamics they carry the Custom Ones, 1350, dt990, and the T1. For PSB, they have the M4U 1 and 2.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #15 of 23
Last time I talked to them on the phone, they said they were getting out of sennheiser as they couldn't compete w online sales.  Glad to hear they still have them (even if without the HD800). I'm looking forward to heading back out there to listen to the T1 sometime soon.

to the OP- the GuitarCenter in N. Arlington (360 & Collins) will allow auditions.  I spend 1/2 a day in their recording studio not long ago listening to everything in the store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back