Where to buy portable headphone amp in London?
Jul 7, 2008 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

peterskim

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm an American in London for a few months for work. I don't know the shops around here very well yet; could someone advise me on a good place to buy an entry-level portable headphone amp? I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!
Peter

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 23
Good question, Peter. There are a number of good hi-fi stores in & about London - Tottenham Court Road is the 'mecca' for audio/AV stuff, but it's not exactly the best in terms of having quality, small companies' work. Kind of Sony heaven....

Sadly the Cornflake Shop (just off TCR) looks to have closed it doors acording to something I read on another forum. But that tended to be high-end....

Google stores like Richer Sounds; Stone Audio; Graham's Hi-Fi (high-end again); and Vic somebody-or-other (Alzheimers! Can't think of the name!) maybe Vic O'Brian - or is that a cycle store? doh! Dunno....... I'll sell you a T&D Design Xtra Pro if you need a local fix....I live four or so miles from the centre of town.

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 23
Also, check out Billy Vee...tho I really don't know the headphonia status of these stores...may be that it's mostly speaker stuff.

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 23
I think you will be very hard pushed to find a brick and mortar store to buy a portable headphone amp from in London. FS forums here and the internet will be your best bet.

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you will be very hard pushed to find a brick and mortar store to buy a portable headphone amp from in London. FS forums here and the internet will be your best bet.

x2

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 23
Predator here too and delivered within a week!
I=Qube from Netherlands was delivered in about a week too
Both IMO are awesome amps although the qube just edges it for me!

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diode100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont belive there is anywhere in london selling Head-Fi gear, most UK based people buy over the net, from USA or Far East.

More or less.

It pretty obvious where my Amp/DAC came from. My Sennheisers from Amazon, I got my Juli@ from Germany. Both ATs got imported from Jap-land.

Its strange, it'd seem to make perfect sense to me, anywhere selling cans like the 650s should also sell quality head-amps.

I got my CMoy from a UK eBay-seller.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 23
For all in the UK who ordered from the US: What about the customs? I would try the Hornet from RSA, but I'm afraid of the VAT/customs.
I ordered some parts for my cmoy from the US and had to pay a lot afetrwards.
Is it the same with the amps?

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who ordered from the US to UK: What about the customs/VAT?
I ordered some parts for my Cmoy from the US and had to pay a lot afterwards.
Whats the experience with amps (especialy RSA amps)?

X2

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who ordered from the US to UK: What about the customs/VAT?
I ordered some parts for my Cmoy from the US and had to pay a lot afterwards.
Whats the experience with amps (especialy RSA amps)?

Its a gamble. I've had stuff sent through, like my Alien DAC that didn't get caught. Other stuff did. Don't ask companies to de-value the item on the postage receipt, they won't do it and it causes friction.

There is really no way of telling if it's going to get pulled over, but always expect it to, and the budget for it so it's not a nasty shock when the item turns up.

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a gamble. I've had stuff sent through, like my Alien DAC that didn't get caught. Other stuff did. Don't ask companies to de-value the item on the postage receipt, they won't do it and it causes friction.

There is really no way of telling if it's going to get pulled over, but always expect it to, and the budget for it so it's not a nasty shock when the item turns up.

I'm naieve with this, but do you have any idea of how they determine how much they will levy on an item, so I can work this out for myself and incoporate it into any budget in future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back