Where to buy "PCB Holders"?
Sep 10, 2010 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Seamless Sounds

Previously known as HeadFi Fanatic
Is that the right word? Since I'll be building an amp soon, I need some "helping hands" with magnifying glass that I can use when I solder components onto the pcb. I'm ordering stuff from Mouser and Digikey, so if you know of any, please give me the part # or link.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 10
You might want to look into a PanaVise. I find mine immensely helpful.

I don't know about the magnifying glass, though, since the parts aren't that small. If you're doing fine surface mount stuff, then maybe. Though you might want to look into a pair of goggles that has magnifying lenses in the bottom or a swing-away magnifier. If you don't have safety goggles, you absolutely need them.

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Rookie question perhaps but I wear glasses - would that suffice for basic eye protection when soldering?

You're probably fine,  but think about the expense of replacing the lenses if you damage them with splattered solder (plastic lenses especially) and you might want to think about using safety goggles..  (I'm guilty of the above also, never thought about it before..)

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Rookie question perhaps but I wear glasses - would that suffice for basic eye protection when soldering?

Yes, most are good for power tools and guns, too.

Quote:
You're probably fine,  but think about the expense of replacing the lenses if you damage them with splattered solder (plastic lenses especially) and you might want to think about using safety goggles..  (I'm guilty of the above also, never thought about it before..)

Excellent point.  So far, I've been able to keep solder off the lenses.  However, rosin splatters are something else.  It sprays all over and while you can get it off your glasses, it's a pain.  I only wear old pairs when I solder, but I've been thinking about ordering a pair of prescription safety goggles because I'll be spending a lot more time in the shop pretty soon.  I'd rather have goggles that cover more of my face than the glasses do, as well.  For $50, I think they're worth it.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 10
I have the radio shack helping hands I bought many years ago as well as the harbor freight version. They seem to suffice.

http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-319.html

As for glasses, I usually wear a pair of safety goggles that goes right over the top. They are also available at harbor freight as well as the usual home depot, etc. I can't see risking damaging my glasses, so, I think the safety goggles are a bargain.

I have tried a number of over-glasses magnifying aids and they all are a pain unless you really are focused properly. In other words, don't move out of the focus area too often. YMMV. Various versions of those are available at, you guessed it, harbor freight. I think the helping hands magnifiers and the loupe set from HF is all one really needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back