WHERE TO BUY high end in-ears In PITTSBURGH??????WHERE!?
Jun 29, 2014 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

simonhou886

New Head-Fier
   Hi guys im an international student at Upitt. I love listening music. Also im new to the forums. im not sure if im posting the thread in the right place. but anyway.

DOES anyone know where in the store i can buy High end earphones??? instead of bestbuy. im tired of those monsters and blah blah. i need a real earphone. something like shure 846 or westone or UE. BTW i'd really to buy those in-store instead of on net. i know there was a store called listening post located on s aiken. but it seems closed right now. anyone know any other places?

THANKS FOR REPLYING!

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 19
I live in Columbus, Ohio but am from the pittsburgh area originally. I believe there is an InMotion store in the airport. I know some people have checked out shure 846s at those stores although I haven't been to one personally.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 19
Unfortunately that's the only one I know of in the area (with more high end offerings at least). There are the less exciting places like Guitar Center that carry some stuff but nothing too high end. I know that InMotion carries the Shure line of iems which many people would highly recommend (I have the 846 at the moment) and some other gear as well. It is inconvenient that it's at the airport but from what I read they have a respectable collection of headphones/iems.

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 19
To be honest I'm not sure about exactly where they are in the airport, I actually have not been to the airport in quite some time.  I just know about the store because I've read a few people on here and other sites say they have listened to/bought the se846 there.  Your best bet would probably be to call them before going, I'm sure they carry slightly different stuff at all of their locations and they could probably let you know before you drive there just what they have.  http://www.inmotionstores.com/locations.html

As far as impressions go, any audiologist can do them.  Your best bet is just to google ones close to you and call around for pricing since they vary slightly by location.  Also if you have a particular brand of custom iem in mind that company will be able to direct you to one in the area they recommend or have worked with in the past.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 19
If it's the store that I'm thinking of, it's unfortunately past security.  In fact, it's in the air side terminal, not the land-side terminal.  Right as you go up, it's on the right from the escalators towards the C gates, I believe (the wing that has Jet Blue down it).  But, it's in the middle shopping area.

Unfortunately, in Pittsburgh there's not really many places you could go.  If I were still in Pittsburgh (went to Carnegie Mellon), you could definitely try out some from my collection.  You're either going to have to buy something on faith, or buy and return if you don't like it.  Your other option might be to look for a Head-Fi meetup, although I don't know if there's one in Pittsburgh.  You could always try to find somebody else here that lives in the PIttsburgh area with the equipment you're looking for and then see if they'd let you try it out.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 19
  sry, but one more question. since you were from pitt. do you know where can i do my ear impressions if i want to get a pair of custom iem?

Actually, I know the answer to this one!  Go to the UPMC ear, nose, and throat department at the main UPMC campus.  You're at Pitt, so it should literally be a short walk for you.  I'd recommend calling ahead and making an appointment.  They can be pretty busy!  Tell them you're looking for JUST ear impressions for musicians monitors and that you don't need their services (unless you'd prefer to place your order through them; I actually believe they have a few demo units if you're looking to go that route).  Just ask them if they have demos when you book your appointment.

I got the best impressions I've ever had (and I've had several sets of impressions) taken there.  I think it was something like $60 for the pair, when I had them taken a few years ago.  They take their time and really know their stuff.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 19
Base on your opinion whats your fav IEM? Seems you got lots of collections:p can you recommand me something? it can be custom or normal ones around 1000usd. Sry since imma newbie in this area i need to ask alot lol

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 19
Actually, I know the answer to this one!  Go to the UPMC ear, nose, and throat department at the main UPMC campus.  You're at Pitt, so it should literally be a short walk for you.  I'd recommend calling ahead and making an appointment.  They can be pretty busy!  Tell them you're looking for JUST ear impressions for musicians monitors and that you don't need their services (unless you'd prefer to place your order through them; I actually believe they have a few demo units if you're looking to go that route).  Just ask them if they have demos when you book your appointment.

I got the best impressions I've ever had (and I've had several sets of impressions) taken there.  I think it was something like $60 for the pair, when I had them taken a few years ago.  They take their time and really know their stuff.
See above :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back