Where to buy Grados?
Nov 23, 2011 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

grad

New Head-Fier
What's the best price I am going to find on Grado 325s or 225s?  Is there anywhere, internet or local that sells them cheaper? Especially around Black Friday?

Thanks

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
What's the best price I am going to find on Grado 325s or 225s?  Is there anywhere, internet or local that sells them cheaper? Especially around Black Friday?

Thanks

Pretty hard to find deals on new Grados, easier for used.  Are you somewhere that has no dealers?  Better to audition before purchase.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
Better to audition before purchase.

I actually just came from a dealer. Tried on an assortment of headphones including some Senns, a bunch of Grados (80, 225, 325), and a few others.  Before I went in, I was leaning towards the HD-280s (Senn) due to their closed ear.  After trying on the Grados (even the 80), the Senn sounded muddy and loose.  The 80s were nice, but the flat pads hurt my ears even after just 10 minutes.  I'm leaning towards the 225 or the 325, but I'm not sure which one yet.  If I could find the 325s for a bit cheaper, I'd probably just snag 'em otherwise I'll most likely end up with the 225s.

I was hoping I could find some deals on them online, but I don't appear to be coming across any.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:

I was hoping I could find some deals on them online, but I don't appear to be coming across any.

Not likely.  

There are a variety of pads available for Grados.  I use the G-Cushions.

Audiogon for used:  http://cgis.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?searchstring=Grado&B1=go

Martin Custom Audio has a pair of 325 goldies which seem to be highly desirable:
http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/p/for-sale.html

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 16
Just about impossible to find a "deal" on new Grado's., because it's a relatively small,
family owned operation that keeps tight tabs on distribution.

Also, they don't make tons and tons of product; so there's no excess that ends up at "liquidators" 
They work with a limited number of high quality dealers, none of whom has any incentive to discount the headphones -
because they sell every pair they can get at the asking price. 

Another thought - to get the Grado warranty, you've got to buy from a Grado dealer.

Looking for a deal on them is just a waste of your time and effort..

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:

Looking for a deal on them is just a waste of your time and effort..

True. 
I've been looking for a deal and all the retailers/dealers have the same price. 

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 16
Grado enforces prices regionally and sets minimum prices.

Consider buying from one of Head-Fi's sponsors, like HeadRoom and TTVJ. They have been very generous with the site and sponsor meets. Since the price is the same, please buy from someone who supports Head-Fi.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Consider buying from one of Head-Fi's sponsors, like HeadRoom and TTVJ. They have been very generous with the site and sponsor meets. Since the price is the same, please buy from someone who supports Head-Fi.

Could not agree more ~ it's all about community not about shady discounts 
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:

Supporting Head-Fi is good.  Going to a store an auditioning the headphone and then going home and buying the unit on-line, not so good.
frown.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Supporting Head-Fi is good.  Going to a store an auditioning the headphone and then going home and buying the unit on-line, not so good.
frown.gif

Yep that sort of shifty behavior really hurts retailers, time is money and the most flagrant thing of all ~ is that sometimes when they get hit
with warranty issues or 'dead on arrival' issues - they will seek out help anyway from that retailer who missed out on the sale ..Hmmm..not a good look

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 16
Yeah I'm going to head in tomorrow and pick myself up a pair of 225s from an Authorized Grado retailer.  I was going to buy an amp, but after reading on here, I'm heavily leaning towards building my own.  I was checking out a few threads, but anyone have some suggestions as to which amp will be paired best? I was looking at the CMOY.

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #14 of 16
http://www.earphonesolutions.com is having a 25% off all headphones (they have the 225s and the 325s) for Black Friday (I think you have to enter the code BLACK7).  I would hop on that if I were you.  Free shipping on any order over $99 too.  So you could pick up the 225s for an even $150 total.  Or the 325s for a bit more.  Good deal, probably the best you'll find for Grados.  

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
http://www.earphonesolutions.com is having a 25% off all headphones (they have the 225s and the 325s) for Black Friday (I think you have to enter the code BLACK7).  I would hop on that if I were you.  Free shipping on any order over $99 too.  So you could pick up the 225s for an even $150 total.  Or the 325s for a bit more.  Good deal, probably the best you'll find for Grados.  

Thanks, but I'm getting this: "Coupon code black7 only applies to certain store items. Please note that some or all of the items in your shopping basket do not qualify for this coupon offer."

Yeah, says it excludes Grado. Dang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back