where to buy cable parts?
Mar 3, 2007 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TempleOfEar

Banned
hey guys im trying to weld a new stereo cable to my turntable. specifically, im looking for the canare RCAPs they use at bluejeanscable or something equal in quality. i emailed them and they havent replied in 2 days. can you guys help me out? thx.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 14
Take a look at The DIY Big List & Rules Section sticky at the top of this forum for lists of suppliers of various DIY stuff.

The Canare RCAPs do need to be crimped (you can solder the center pin IIRC), and I did mine for some component video cables without the Canare crimping tool ($$) and they worked out fine.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 14
hmm i dont even know what crimping means. no experience in DIY whatsoever, except building an am radio when i was a kid- i was hoping all i would need to do is soldering. how much money would i be saving by buying my own instead of from bluejeans and just cutting off the pair of RCAs and selling that to you guys? if the ladder is a smarter choice, any takers on a pair of canare connectors?

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 14
If you don't know what crimping means and have no DIY experience, then you might want to stay away from making your own, especially for a turntable where the signal level is so low that any mistake can be a problem (unless your turntable has a built-in phono pre-amp).

Bluejeans uses coax cable for their cables, so it's not going to be the easiest for you to solder to your turntable (a simple twisted-pair cable would be easier).

It's doubtful that anyone would buy the ends you cut off - you can't really re-use crimp connectors very easily.

Perhaps you should try something like this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=263-352 to chop.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TempleOfEar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow they look nice. i'm really leaning toward those right now. when I chop off the ends, would i solder both wires into one place?

You could solder them both to one place, but then you would have a short
evil_smiley.gif
(as in short circuit)

Perhaps you shoud take a look at the "How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics" sticky towards the top of this forum...

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 14
i havent taken a closer look at it since it looks like i have to take apart a lot of screws to get to it but basically it looks like a metal block with 2 thin wires soldering out of it. the block is directly connected to the turnarm.

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 14
Unless it's an old mono 78rpm player, there should be 3 or 4 wires coming from the tonearm (typically four). Is it possible that each of these two wires actually has two conductors?

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 14
i took the whole player apart today and yes, i found 4 soldering points. however everything else in the player looks as antique as the RCAs so im now wondering how much of a difference it would make wather i get canare RCAs or just something nice under $20. whats my best choice under $20 department? this one looks good. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=181-844

twisted balanced pair means when i open the connector im gonna see 2 wires, right?

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Canare RCAP's can be bought from markertek.com. Keep in mind that they are designed for crimp use, not solder use.

Canare crimping tools are expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back