Where to buy AV123 ELT 525Ms?
Dec 3, 2010 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MARSHH

Head-Fier
I seriously regret not purchasing the AV123 ELT 525Ms while they were on sale just months ago on AV123 before they closed their site. Even with the shady actions Mark Schifter, the owner of AV123 have done I am still eager to purchase these speakers. After all my money no longer goes to him am I correct?

So, I was wondering if there was a legitimate website or seller at this moment that has them for sale.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 6
They pop up on audiogon now and then. The towers are on there right now.

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 6
my friend has the ELT525M's (I got them for him when they were on sale) and they are very nice speakers... but there are plenty of other speakers that are as nice or better in that price range.  I wouldn't sweat it!  I think my Energy RC-10's are much better and they are a good price ($299 shipped) at Vann's although only Black Ash finish is left.

If you were looking specifically for a real wood veneer, I notice you are in SoCal... there is a pair of Cherry RC-10's in Oceanside: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/2097355496.html

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 6
Yeah, I've been researching the RC-10s as well and came across that listing. I would give him a call and possibly negotiate an offer with him but the thing is you receive no form of warranty or security after your purchase on Craiglist. If my speakers suddenly go bad the day after my purchase I am stuck with them. I thought about purchasing them from Vanns but $300 is bit above my budget as I plan to purchase a decent subwoofer and a dac on top of that.

Regarding the ELT525, during the past week I've been able to find a few listings that had them for less than $180 but they sell fast. I guess I'll play the waiting game. It's a bummer how no audio retailer carries them.

Are the RC-10s a good level above the ELT525s? I might be able to stretch my budget if possible.

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 6
here's a great thread from a guy who A/B/C compared the RC-10's, ELT525M's, and WAF-1's: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1191742

the RC-10's and ELT525's are very similar in terms of overall size and look and feel, but the RC-10's have better build quality (nicer drivers and binding posts, brushed metal baskets, the best quality real wood veneer, etc) and clearly better bass.  They are also a bit more refined overall, better detail while still staying smooth.  The ELT's can sound a wee bit recessed in the treble, they err on the side of "smoothness".  The RC has a better tweeter so is able to maintain smoothness while still bringing out excellent detail.  These differences are subtle though so a "good level above" is going to be subjective of course. 

I have the RC-10's (rosenut) and my friend has the ELT's (cherry) and both are excellent, but the RC-10's are a bit better.  As the poster in that thread summarized: "I felt the ELT525M fell short of the RC-10 in essentially the same areas I criticized during the comparison with the WAF-1. The RC-10 has better mid and high end detail, and has a cleaner, more articulate low end. I don't think the RC-10 blew it out of the water, but I thought it was the better speaker."  So again... not a HUGE difference, but it's there if you are a critical listener.

One downside of the ELT's is that they have very low sensitivity.  Not a big deal in a small room or a nearfield application, but they do require some juice to get really loud (e.g. for a home theater application).

By no means am I criticizing the ELT's btw... they sound great at my buddy's place.  If you could find a pair for under $200 it's worth it... but I would rather pay a bit more for those cherry RC-10's :wink:  They just do everything (build quality, looks, bass, detail, etc) a wee bit better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back