Where to buy ATH-W5000?
Jan 13, 2007 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

blumenco

100+ Head-Fier
howdy y'all.

so I recently heard a pair of them and was duely impressed. upon first impression they had a very nicely balanced, relaxing and musical tone overall. dead smooth upper highs (rare in a headphone...) and bouncy, dynamic bass (also rare, most manufacturers substitute quantity for quality...). lean but tuneful upper and mid with a solid foundation at 40-60hz. incredible midrange with a fairly subtle but important emphasis on the upper highs, around 4-7k. this happens to be a very similar (subtle) EQ to alot of the single driver horn speakers that I play around with, and similar to the emphasis ranges of a 2a3 tube, which is one of my favourite power triodes. I have been looking to step into the realm of greater-than-hd650s for some time now, looking for the more forward (and hence dynamic) presentation, but to still remain musical. hesitancy has followed this pursuit. the waters are perilous!!! lots of nice stuff out there. little makes me orgasm. the 701s are quite nice, are made of plastic, have perhaps some flatness issues with the VHF, (emphasis on 13k (mp3 zone!) to my ears...). I know that this tone quality settles down, but I am reserved that the EQ itself will not change. so I am looking even higher in lineups I suppose. I LOVED the R-10s, but am looking at less extreme color-wise and money wise I suppose even, but to keep the wood thing goin on. more towards the great orpheus presentation, which is coloured profoundly and very forward, and backward, and inside out...,but is so subtle and balanced all over as to make one scream at the artistic and spiritual experience.

so i see the ath-w5000 on audiocubes for 750 and eifl (for 250 dollars more), are these my only options for places to buy?

I would be using them with a fairly well modified SEX amp from bottlehead, my own cables, and an echo mona as a source playing cd files from my hard drive. vinyl will eventually be a garrard 301 based setup, with modded bottlehead phono pre, the seduction. I have found the SEX amp to be a highly capable and pleasing headphone amp. it is a nice balance of what is possible in this realm of headphone audio, and I think worthy of a better set of "cans" than the 650s even.

thanks a bunch,

Clark.

blumenstein-ultra-fi.com

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 12
bluetin.com & pricejapan.com

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 12
Haven't had the priviledge of hearing those gorgeous W5000s yet, sorry.
frown.gif

One of these days though!
biggrin.gif

Oh, right, I almost forgot. You should look into buying the W5000s amp the HA5000, they're said to have absolutely magical synergy.

Jan 13, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by blumenco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i see the ath-w5000 on audiocubes for 750 and eifl (for 250 dollars more), are these my only options for places to buy?

There is the pair up for sale on the FS forum here, though possibly someone snagged it already.

Jan 13, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by blumenco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you seem to be quite the AT fan. any opinions on the phones themselves?

thanks!

Clark

I've heard a few ATs myself (L3000, AD2000, W11JPN, W2002, W5000), and I like my W5000s well enough to have ended my headphone journey.

May 1, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 12
NEWEGG $669.00 + $4.99 shipping.....

May 1, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 12
amazon.com actually keeps a decent price level on headphones.

May 1, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphone Crazed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NEWEGG $669.00 + $4.99 shipping.....

Got mine from Newegg just this two days ago! Good price and fast 3-day shipping. Great phones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back