Where to buy Apogee Mini DAC?
Sep 17, 2007 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Quake1028

Previously known as Gloomfire.
So far the cheapest price I have found is through Sweetwater Audio. However, it's confusing as to whether or not that is the USB version that they have for sale. Any help is appreciated.

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweetwater is definitely the cheapest reliable vendor. You can call them up and ask...

Agreed. Their customer service, in my experience, is about as good as it gets.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 18
That's NOT the USB version. The site lists only the standard studio version with S/PDIF and the optical connections, plus the unavailable FW version.

There is a LOT of confusion over what is now available, and what will be in the future in the entire Mini-DAC line. The last thing I was told by someone at Apogee in late July was that there would be no more USB versions produced.

Big, big problems otherwise, too.....Apogee ran out of a chip required to make Mini-DACs for a while and found that to have more fabbed would take at least 6 months. The claim was that they were scouring the world for what might remain in other stocks, and promised to have then in the hands of vendors by mid-July.......then by the end of August......and now it seems no vendors have them at all.

I have not received consistent info on this one, from either Apogee directly or from vendors--at first, it was supposed to affect only the FW versions, then all Mini-DAC's, and finally someone told me that it affected all Mini series components. Two of the vendors told me that, based on what their Apogee rep had told them, they wouldn't be surprised if they never, ever got another Mini series unit of any sort from Apogee. Seriously, that is what I was told, but it might have been a sales pitch to get me to buy something on hand.

It is probably worth a call into Apogee to get the real story at this point--personally, I didn't want to buy a piece that couldn't be repaired due to lack of a critical part. Seems to me if they can't make any new ones, that scenario might be possible--or a repair might take eons to complete.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 18
My understanding is there will be no more minidacs produced, but of the ones that are out there, they have plenty of available parts for repairs.

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

My understanding is there will be no more minidacs produced, but of the ones that are out there, they have plenty of available parts for repairs.

And yet, someone at Apogee told me in late July that they had found 500 of the chips and would make enough units to hold them over until the chip fab could resupply in early '08.......and then have not supplied Sweetwater with any units in months. Sweetwater's site encouraged buyers to place orders in June for delivery in July, and that kept on changing......as of this moment, the Sweetwater page for the Mini-DAC FW states:

"It's Arriving Soon!
We've confirmed this item has shipped from Apogee and should arrive in our warehouse within a day or two. Go ahead, place your order now. We will ship it immediately, the very same day we receive it from Apogee. Call now. We promise you'll have it soon."

Same thing that it has shown for the past month, as far as I have seen.

Confirmed that it shipped, eh? When Apogee is telling potential buyers that no more have been or will be made??????

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out B&H photo. It is $715 shipped.

The usb version is $895 and is backordered.

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 18
Here's one on a well known auction site currently at $560 with 1 day, 4 hours remaining as of the timestamp on this post.

Described as ...

Quote:

Like new, one year old with USB connection. Just a fantastic peice of gear. Will come with manual and box. I will package well for shipping. Works perfect, locks on every time and just sounds great.

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 18
I'm gonna give the apogee duet a try. If I like it, my usb minidac (hi agile_one
smily_headphones1.gif
) maybe for sale.

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's one on a well known auction site currently at $560 with 1 day, 4 hours remaining as of the timestamp on this post.

Described as ...

the price is now $760.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

I'm gonna give the apogee duet a try. If I like it, my usb minidac (hi agile_one
smily_headphones1.gif
) maybe for sale.

That Duet is awesome, and an incredible deal if it lives up to the hype.

Think about it........39% of the cost of a DAC1, smaller, has a recording interface..........but NO support for PC's. Waaaahhhhhhh.........

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Duet is awesome, and an incredible deal if it lives up to the hype.

Think about it........39% of the cost of a DAC1, smaller, has a recording interface..........but NO support for PC's. Waaaahhhhhhh.........

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

perfect

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 18
I am very tempted. Does the Duet have balanced out? It just says, "2 1/4 Monitor outputs for powered speakers". Does that mean it's balanced output?

Quote:

perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back