where is the optimal price range for cost / value for IEM type headphones?
Aug 6, 2015 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

portaear

New Head-Fier
As I dig into the world of IEMs more and more, I'm wondering what is the sweet spot in terms of price for IEM headphones.

I've stayed mostly on the low end ($10 - $20), have strayed into the $50 (Sony MDR-EX70, and now MacaW GT100) IEMs.  I see reviews for higher end (and to me super expensive) IEMs from $300+.

I'm wondering for the average consumer, what is the sweet spot for really great IEMs for the relative cost?

I believe my budget for IEMs is as follows:  
-$10 - $20 for daily grinders, throwaway types of earphones for the gym and travel where I might damage the earphones or lose them

-$50 - $70 for higher end, more serious headphones for serious listening

-$100+ super high end for me, I have no experience with this range.

I'm wondering what the sweet spot is, and if I should shift my budget a little.  

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 6
The optimal point shifts for everyone, and really it depends on what your disposable income is. Some people would consider $100 as "budget". But set yourself a budget and do push higher, regardless of all the tasty options above, because there will *always* be something shinier and more expensive.

Right now there are some nice VE options that come in under $20. There's the RockMaster IE indiegogo for $30 which is really nice. The Shure SE215 is typically around $100 and what I could consider a good bar for that price.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 6
I say around 50-$100 is good budget you can get something like the M6 pro vsd3s for the $50 range and the $100 range like the gr07 bass edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back