Where is the best place to actually TRYOUT headphones?
Feb 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Niteflyte

New Head-Fier
BestBuy has a limited selection of headphones you can listen to.  I don't think Fry's has anything setup to test them at all.

Is there any place to tryout headphones without buying them?

I'd like to try some of these "surround" headphones, but have never listened to one before, and don't know how much I will like.

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 9
Yea, you can do that if you have the budget to afford your top 3.  The only problem is that a lot of times places with good return policies also charge slightly more.
My first pair of good headphones I just bought because they were highly recommended.  There are a couple of headphones that people generally recommend and you really can't go wrong with.  It also helps knowing what kind of music you like to listen too, if you want a lot of bass, or if you care more about vocals and stuff like that.  
If you're talking about surround headphones, you really can't go wrong with the HD555, m50s, Shure srh840's, and maybe a few others.   Once you've had decent headphones for a while you can figure out what kind of sound signature you like, whether you want open or closed headphones, etc. and get a better/ more expensive pair that suits your tastes.

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 9
As you're in LA and there are a lot of head-fi meets in LA, you should check into one of them.  It'll give you a chance to check out headphones in proper rigs.  What you get to try out at the store tends to be cast in not the best light.  

I lament that headphones stations aren't set up as nicely as they are in Japan.  Audio Dynamic and Yodobashi listening stations are great!

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 9
Find a meet.  You'll be able to try out dozens of different headphones.  Here's the meet we're having in Northern Virginia in a week.  The first post lists the equipment that will be there.  It will be one of the smallest meets I've been to, but there will still be plenty to listen to.  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/538117/northern-virginia-dc-meet-february-20th

Looking though the meet forum, it looks like one is in the initial planning phase for Venice Beach.

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Yea, you can do that if you have the budget to afford your top 3.  The only problem is that a lot of times places with good return policies also charge slightly more.

This is because people buy 2 or 3 and return the ones they don't like.  The store can't sell the returned ones as new so they take a hit to their bottom line.  It's either charge more up front or charge a restocking fee that covers the loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back