Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?
Oct 1, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #616 of 1,964
^Oh crap. Thanks guys. I'll look more into this one after I get back from campus.

I completely forgot to mention that I 'did' check the gain tube before I removed the Sylvania outputs. I took out the 12sx7gt I was using with a Sylvania 12sn7gt, but I didn't hear any improvement so I automatically blamed the output tubes. Obviously it's a lot faster to remove and replace one tube instead of the two output tubes.

However, I haven't checked it back again AFTER I put in the working output tubes (when I actually have a much lower hum)... I'll cross my fingers for the next few hours.

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #617 of 1,964
Alrighty... I've done some gain tube swaps since the post above ^

The low pitch hum in the right channel is still there and progressively gets louder as I turn the volume up just like before. There's also crackling noise 'as I turn' the knob past 9 o'clock... up-till 11:30.

I may have to get her on surgery after all. <_<"

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #618 of 1,964
I think sending the amp back to Single Power for repair is the best option, but there's the risk of a long, frustrating wait.

Another option is finding someone local to take a look at the amp. If Mikhail agrees and helps the person with the diagnosis and repair, you might be able to avoid shipping the amp to SP.

--

I received my ES-1 today. It has been one year since it was sent to SP for upgrades, and eight months since I was told it was ready to ship and I made payment. Dealing with Mikhail has been very frustrating and I believe he was less than honest to me several times regarding the status of my amps and when they were ready to ship.

However, recent communications within the past two months has been good and he has been very responsive. I don't know if SP's business practices have been improved permanently, but I am more optimistic and positive about dealing with SP. I do believe that Mikhail is committed to delivering the best amps he can and making his customers satisfied with the product (if not with the speed of delivery).

I have another amp at SP, a Supra-XLR, that has also been undergoing upgrades. So my wait isn't over yet.

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #619 of 1,964
Akabeth,
I agree with sending the amp back to Mikhail. Now seems like a good time to deal with him since his back orders are pretty much caught up and he doesnt need any more delivery time troubles.
Didnt you buy the amp used? Did it die, or was it damaged in shipping? Not sure if the warranty would apply or not.

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #620 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my ES-1 today. I

A million congrats
smily_headphones1.gif

And I agree that Mikhail is making effort to improve communication etc. It is still scary and I am sure 'missed shipping' dates will still be part of it, but could be worth a try, if you are prepared.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #621 of 1,964
Quote:

I received my ES-1 today. ...........
However, recent communications within the past two months has been good and he has been very responsive. I don't know if SP's business practices have been improved permanently, but I am more optimistic and positive about dealing with SP. I do believe that Mikhail is committed to delivering the best amps he can and making his customers satisfied with the product (if not with the speed of delivery).

I have another amp at SP, a Supra-XLR, that has also been undergoing upgrades. So my wait isn't over yet.

Congrats! You've been waiting for your ES-1 for a while.

Quote:

I think sending the amp back to Single Power for repair is the best option, but there's the risk of a long, frustrating wait.

Another option is finding someone local to take a look at the amp. If Mikhail agrees and helps the person with the diagnosis and repair, you might be able to avoid shipping the amp to SP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Akabeth,
I agree with sending the amp back to Mikhail. Now seems like a good time to deal with him since his back orders are pretty much caught up and he doesnt need any more delivery time troubles.
Didnt you buy the amp used? Did it die, or was it damaged in shipping? Not sure if the warranty would apply or not.

Thanks guys. I'll keep that in mind and think over it this weekend. Waiting won't be a problem since I got the Predator and I have no problems listening with iPod > earbuds anyway.

Also, when I bought the amp from PFK it arrived in good working order so it was neither damaged in shipping or has turned into a worthless dud. It's just hum in right channel plus cracking noise on pot afa I can hear. It's just too bad that the most influential part of my rig has been crippled...

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #622 of 1,964
Hi All,

I have an ES-1 with noise issues - a "crackling" noise on the right channel which is independent of volume level. I have replaced all tubes, interconnects and even swapped headphones, without improvement. The only thing that affects the sound is when I connect a voltage meter probe to the right channel banana jack connector; just touching the probe to the metal portion of the connector causes a similar noise.

I talked to Mikhail a few weeks ago. He suggested that the tube sockets might need cleaning, which I have attempted to do. No improvement. I have been trying to contact Mikhail recently, but without success (he also owes me for a small item that I paid for early in 2008...).

My question: has anyone been given permission by Mikhail to have someone external to Singlepower repair equipment? Needless to say I am reluctant to send the amp into the black hole that is Singlepower. A local repair person might provide a solution less stressful for all concerned (mainly me).

lambdaman

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #624 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by lambdaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All,

I have an ES-1 with noise issues - a "crackling" noise on the right channel which is independent of volume level. I have replaced all tubes, interconnects and even swapped headphones, without improvement. The only thing that affects the sound is when I connect a voltage meter probe to the right channel banana jack connector; just touching the probe to the metal portion of the connector causes a similar noise.

I talked to Mikhail a few weeks ago. He suggested that the tube sockets might need cleaning, which I have attempted to do. No improvement. I have been trying to contact Mikhail recently, but without success (he also owes me for a small item that I paid for early in 2008...).

My question: has anyone been given permission by Mikhail to have someone external to Singlepower repair equipment? Needless to say I am reluctant to send the amp into the black hole that is Singlepower. A local repair person might provide a solution less stressful for all concerned (mainly me).

lambdaman

Where are you located? I have found two techs in the ATL. area that are very good by going through the local high end shops. that is where i would start looking if I was you.

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #625 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagosaku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tracking still shows no pick up but the MPX arrived a bit ago.

Frick! You beat me!

smily_headphones1.gif
Congrats. Mine is still missing in action.

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #626 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frick! You beat me!

smily_headphones1.gif
Congrats. Mine is still missing in action.

Thanks and hope yours will come back soon.

Mikhail said it is first in first out, but considering the work/time he put in mine, I am sure that becomes flexible depending on what is required and what he decides that 'should' be done.

Oct 5, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #627 of 1,964
People experiencing problems with their SP amps have legitimate concerns about how long SP might take to return their amps. As a recent SP amp owner, and having waited for my amp since Sept. 2007, I would be very concerned about sending it back to SP.

I think the best option is to talk to Mikhail and send the amp back for repairs. My communications with SP has been good the past two months. But it was not always so, and I went through frustrating periods of time when SP was less responsive. Until SP is responsive to all of its customers, we have legitimate concerns regarding the truthfulness of delivery promises (I'm not talking about estimates, I'm talking about promises that were repeatedly broken) and the timeliness of repairs or other work done on the amps.

A couple of months ago, another ES-1 owner apparently took it upon himself to make repairs instead of sending it back to SP. He didn't want to take the risk of waiting for months. I'm glad it turned out OK for him, but I wouldn't be able to undertake such repairs myself.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/m...arning-260752/

I think that sending an amp back to the manufacturer is usually the best option, but until SP proves itself to be more responsive to its customers, everyone should be aware that there is the risk of a long and frustrating wait.

As of now, I still don't have much faith in SP making a speedy repair or making good on their delivery promises. If I had problems with my SP amp now, I would be looking for someone local to repair it. I wish this wasn't the case, but none of us have the ability to make SP improve its business practices, only SP can.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #628 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagosaku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks and hope yours will come back soon.

Mikhail said it is first in first out, but considering the work/time he put in mine, I am sure that becomes flexible depending on what is required and what he decides that 'should' be done.

Right on. I'm at 6 months now. I know I'm not Elephas status with my wait just yet.

And wouldn't you know it... my backup amp (old school Sansui AU20000) took a crap on me so the MPX3 went from nice to have to critical to my system.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #629 of 1,964
Quote:

Right on. I'm at 6 months now. I know I'm not Elephas status with my wait just yet.

And wouldn't you know it... my backup amp (old school Sansui AU20000) took a crap on me so the MPX3 went from nice to have to critical to my system.

Mine came back improved - 6 month is a promising length of time for such work :p

By the way, if RSA HR2 can be a sub while you wait, give me a PM, we can meet somewhere in between, or I can ship it to you.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #630 of 1,964
Quote:

Like most people, Mikhail responds to the squeaky wheel. I suggest that you start "squeaking". Keep doing it until you get a tracking number that shows the amp on its way to you. I see that you live in the San Diego area. Mikhail will be at the SoCal meet in two weeks. Why don't you attend it? You'll be able to "squeak" in person, plus you'll get to hear a lot of neat stuff and meet interesting people. Maybe Mikhail will respond better if he sees you enjoying some other vendor's products.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back