Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?
Jan 27, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #1,126 of 1,964
Here's a conundrum for you: It seems that the fancy power supplies in Mikhail's amps always had those wall warts in them, as folks have pointed out there were pics from 2003 that were simply dismissed as fakes. If that is the case, and if folks' outrage at the internal parts is justified, then why hasn't the sound of his high-end amps been criticized all these years? If I can put together a fancy looking box with shoddy components in it that a community of audiophiles swears is terrific sounding and worth thousands of dollars, don't I deserve my profit regardless of what's inside? Of course, if it breaks easily that's an important consideration. But if it looks like a high priced amp and sounds like a high priced amp...

By the way, I bought a PPX3 SLAM from Mikhail years ago. There were delays and he did tend to overpromise and underdeliver, but mine was customized and the delays weren't too bad. Seems things have gotten worse for some people since then, which sucks.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #1,127 of 1,964
Those pictures leave me speechless. Why would anyone send something out looking like a blind man did the work using crappy parts and charging a fortune! I will NEVER buy anything from that (very bad word)

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #1,128 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a conundrum for you: It seems that the fancy power supplies in Mikhail's amps always had those wall warts in them, as folks have pointed out there were pics from 2003 that were simply dismissed as fakes. If that is the case, and if folks' outrage at the internal parts is justified, then why hasn't the sound of his high-end amps been criticized all these years? If I can put together a fancy looking box with shoddy components in it that a community of audiophiles swears is terrific sounding and worth thousands of dollars, don't I deserve my profit regardless of what's inside? Of course, if it breaks easily that's an important consideration. But if it looks like a high priced amp and sounds like a high priced amp...

By the way, I bought a PPX3 SLAM from Mikhail years ago. There were delays and he did tend to overpromise and underdeliver, but mine was customized and the delays weren't too bad. Seems things have gotten worse for some people since then, which sucks.

To be fair. Mine essentially was the first big solid state amp that Mikhail had made. I think the Squarewave and Transparency which came later were born from the SS-1 project. Not surprising given the similarity between the boards that people are noticing now.

Mikhail is not known for solid state amps in general but his big tube amps. There isn't a lot of press in general regarding the sound of my amp, but not all of it has been universal in praise... plus you factor in things like expectation bias due to price/appearance... how people already believe in diminishing returns that its all the last 1 percent anyways... shrug.

It's not all that surprising. Plus it is tough to be truthful and vocal about the sound signature while balancing resale value (Yes I know this sounds shady, but shrug anyone with a piece of equipment that they expect they may sell some day is guilty of it. In the end though this is not something I could resell with any sort of conscious intact and that's why I made the pictures public).

Edit: Whoops added a "first" so that it makes sense.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #1,129 of 1,964
Quote:

Here's a conundrum for you: It seems that the fancy power supplies in Mikhail's amps always had those wall warts in them, as folks have pointed out there were pics from 2003 that were simply dismissed as fakes.

I don't recall that, but I could be mistaken. I thought there were pics of the internals, and I recall people criticizing the wiring, but I don't recall seeing pictures of the wall warts in the pictures of the SP amps from long ago. Does anybody have any of those pictures anymore?

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #1,130 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't recall that, but I could be mistaken. I thought there were pics of the internals, and I recall people criticizing the wiring, but I don't recall seeing pictures of the wall warts in the pictures of the SP amps from long ago. Does anybody have any of those pictures anymore?

There are no wallwarts in any of the tube amps period. I have an original Supra/ MPX3 and had the very first PPX3 SLAM which was still P2P wired; no wallwarts. The later ones built on boards would have all had to have the wallwarts if wallwarts were in the power supply and none do. There are pics of the Extreme out there and again .... no wallwart.

The wallwart with the two Square Wave prototypes I had look like the same wallwart in the SS1 .... and were as is .... = without a case case. That was the first time I ever saw him use a wallwart.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #1,131 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no wallwarts in any of the tube amps period. I have an original Supra/ MPX3 and had the very first PPX3 SLAM which was still P2P wired; no wallwarts. The later ones built on boards would have all had to have the wallwarts if wallwarts were in the power supply and none do. There are pics of the Extreme out there and again .... no wallwart.

The wallwart with the two Square Wave prototypes I had look like the same wallwart in the SS1 .... and were as is .... = without a case case. That was the first time I ever saw him use a wallwart.

Thanks for that clarification. That was more or less my understanding as well. Misimpressions and misinformation in threads like these can spread pretty quickly.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #1,132 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Misimpressions and misinformation in threads like these can spread pretty quickly.

I think this thread is extreme about it. I guess self elected justice department tends to be that way.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #1,134 of 1,964
Quote:

Here's a conundrum for you: It seems that the fancy power supplies in Mikhail's amps always had those wall warts in them, as folks have pointed out there were pics from 2003 that were simply dismissed as fakes. If that is the case, and if folks' outrage at the internal parts is justified, then why hasn't the sound of his high-end amps been criticized all these years?

I'm going to go with the power of suggestion, groupthink, cognitive dissonance and shame.

The power of suggestion in that people have heard over and over on this (and other) forums that "SinglePower is the best available, nothing in the world sounds as good," etc..

Groupthink in that people don't want to "rock the boat." Coming out and saying "I think SinglePower sounds like garbage" would have probably resulted in paraih status on this site.

Cognitive dissonance in that a person who has spent thousands of dollars on the promise of the best amp on earth (and exclusivity, of course), then waited for two years to get said amp, just can't emotionally come to grips with getting crap. So they subconsciously "convince" themself that it is, in fact, the best sounding amp they've ever heard.

Shame in that, if the person doesn't fall prey to cognitive dissonance, they are just too embarrassed to tell everyone that they got suckered. They still have an almost unreachable status symbol, so they play up the positives and hide the negatives.

Hope that helps
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #1,137 of 1,964
Quote:

Just like the Ponzi schemes you are reading about in the news. Some people in those scams made millions. Here some very good sounding amps were delivered along the way. When people complained about the sound or the internal construction they were descended upon both in the forum and privately by members that seemed to have closer ties than usual to Mikhail. Negative threads would be quickly moved back in the pages from inactivity while positive ones were constantly bumped to the front by the same group. When a negative thread gained momentum the poster would be deluged with all sorts of corrective measures the favorite being a couple hundred hours of burn in. The amp was rarely questioned. The signs have been out there for many years, however, people were more willing to accept conspiracy theories and the word of a few well placed supporters rather than to take an objective look at what was really going on.

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #1,138 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to go with the power of suggestion, groupthink, cognitive dissonance and shame.

Or some of his amps sound really, really good. There's really no basis to say everything he has made sounds like krap, and everybody has just been deluded since SP first appeared on the scene into thinking otherwise. I'm not saying you're making that precise contention, but some comments in this thread would seem to suggest something close to that proposition.

Again, there's serious reason to be concerned about what's been happening with Mikhail and SP, but let's not overstate things or engage in revisionist history. Just like it may make some feel better to believe an amp on which they spent a lot of money sounds good, so too some who have had recent problems with SP or who have seen what is happening also have the very human tendency to say that everything that Mikhail has done since he was born has been evil.

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #1,139 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like the Ponzi schemes you are reading about in the news. Some people in those scams made millions. Here some very good sounding amps were delivered along the way. When people complained about the sound or the internal construction they were descended upon both in the forum and privately by members that seemed to have closer ties than usual to Mikhail. Negative threads would be quickly moved back in the pages from inactivity while positive ones were constantly bumped to the front by the same group. When a negative thread gained momentum the poster would be deluged with all sorts of corrective measures the favorite being a couple hundred hours of burn in. The amp was rarely questioned. The signs have been out there for many years, however, people were more willing to accept conspiracy theories and the word of a few well placed supporters rather than to take an objective look at what was really going on.

Are you saying that you suspect there are Head-Fi'ers, in collusion with Mikhail, making money off of this debacle? God, I hope this isn't happening, but with this kind of money involved, you never know.

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #1,140 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying that you suspect there are Head-Fi'ers, in collusion with Mikhail, making money off of this debacle? God, I hope this isn't happening, but with this kind of money involved, you never know.

Some guy named Bush and some guy who helped OJ murder his wife are two of the people involved I think. I think Mikhail also is involved with Madoff in some way. Geez, get a grip people.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back