Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?
Aug 14, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #466 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which headphones were being used, HE90s, OIIs? Any preference between them?

I heard it through the o2's, the HE90's, and a pair of Lambda Signatures.

I really enjoyed the soundstage of the Lambdas, even over the O2s, but the HE90s were the most refined and realistic by far. I purchased a pair of Lambdas as a result of that listening session, in fact., since I am in no position to afford HE90s ATM.

I regret not hearing, nor even seeing, the Supra at the meet. As much as I appreciate Mikhail, and as much as I enjoy his tremendous amplifiers, he has consistently and grievously dropped the ball on your gear, Elephas. Hopefully the good reports are at least some comfort.

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #469 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard it through the o2's, the HE90's, and a pair of Lambda Nova Signatures (I believe).

I really enjoyed the soundstage of the Lambdas, even over the O2s, but the HE90s were the most refined and realistic by far. I purchased a pair of Lambdas as a result of that listening session, in fact., since I am in no position to afford HE90s ATM.

I regret not hearing, nor even seeing, the Supra at the meet. As much as I appreciate Mikhail, and as much as I enjoy his tremendous amplifiers, he has consistently and grievously dropped the ball on your gear, Elephas. Hopefully the good reports are at least some comfort.

Wow, I didn't see your post before I replied with the same rank HE90 > SR-Lambda Signature > O2 (they weren't Novas)

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #470 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the HE90 sounded best on the ES-1, and then I actually liked the vintage Lambda Signature better than the O2.

I have the Lambda Pros from the mid-80s and the OIIs. I almost gave the Lambdas away when Mikhail suggested that I use them with the ES1.
bigsmile_face.gif
Wow! Their different sounds fit different recordings. I still haven't heard the HE90s yet
frown.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #471 of 1,964
Quote:

Wow, I didn't see your post before I replied with the same rank HE90 > SR-Lambda Signature > O2 (they weren't Novas)

Well, that's because we both have refined (unrefined?) taste. Thanks for turning me on to Lambdas, by the way. I just bought a pair of normals, bringing the Colorado Springs total to at least 3. My wife does not thank you.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #472 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that's because we both have refined (unrefined?) taste. Thanks for turning me on to Lambdas, by the way. I just bought a pair of normals, bringing the Colorado Springs total to at least 3. My wife does not thank you.

Is that counting the two pair of normal bias SR-Lambda that I and my son own?
biggrin.gif

So, Elephas. Did you try your Headphile Lambda Pro on the ES-1 before you sent it to Mikhail for work, or did you buy the ES-1 new and haven't seen it yet?

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #473 of 1,964
Behind the HE90 and HEAudio 1.2B, the Lambda Sigs are right up there for me. The sound of the three headphones are reminiscent of each other, each with their own strengths.

Neil

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #474 of 1,964
After 11-plus months of waiting, my new ES-1 arrived this morning.

The biasing may not working correctly as the numbers jump constantly.

Update: Mikhail just called. The biasing appears to be fine, after switching tubes. Also, the amp has the correct attenuator, just smaller knobs due to the additional bias display. After the tube rolling, the sound is fantastic.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #475 of 1,964
As far as the biasing goes, new tubes will drift for a while. With large power tubes (such as KT88's,6550's) it's best to bias them the best you can and give the a week of heavy use and rebias them every now and then. Eventually, they'll stablize and hold a bias. When they start to die, they'll get hard to bias again.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #476 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3) I'm not certain if the upgraded attenuator (4 Channel Gold) was included. Compared to another ES1 with that attenuator, the knobs are about half the size.

the knob has nothing to do with the attenuator, its IN the amp.

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #477 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was disappointed the Supra-XLR was not present at the Colorado Meet. Mikhail gave me some reasons why. However, I consider it a broken promise because he said it would be there and it wasn't.

The Supra-XLR still has an unresolved issue with the front faceplate.

how many times have you changed what you want from this amp?

on the 27th of last month you posted a photo of a completed amp, with the comment that you asked Mikhail to totally change it, or replace the front pannel.

I dont think it is mikhails fault of you are asking him to change what is for all intents a nearly complete amp.

This is no different from having a hot-rod shop build you a custom model-T rat rod, and asking them to make it look like a lead sled a week before it goes to paint.

Aug 18, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #478 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how many times have you changed what you want from this amp?

on the 27th of last month you posted a photo of a completed amp, with the comment that you asked Mikhail to totally change it, or replace the front pannel.

That is not how I read it at all.

Elephas asked for a new volume pot to be added. Mikhail did that but did a poor job of the panel, and Elephas understandably wanted it fixed. Cue several months of delay.......... and here we are now.

Aug 18, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #479 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is not how I read it at all.

Elephas asked for a new volume pot to be added. Mikhail did that but did a poor job of the panel, and Elephas understandably wanted it fixed. Cue several months of delay.......... and here we are now.

I thought he had a volume pot and SE jack added, then didn't like the cosmetics of the second knob (no tick marks for the second volume knob) or the new jack and wanted a new face plate, and then someone was talking about a new case, and nobody wanted to pay for either of those, etc...

Aug 18, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #480 of 1,964
Quote:

I thought he had a volume pot and SE jack added, then didn't like the cosmetics of the second knob (no tick marks for the second volume knob) or the new jack and wanted a new face plate, and then someone was talking about a new case, and nobody wanted to pay for either of those, etc...

And the minutiae excuse a year long wait how, exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back