Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?
Jun 12, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #31 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why cant we all agree that he makes great amps and doesn't run an organized business. Everyone seems to want to equate good amps with running a good business.

I don't think anyone is particularly saying that. Rather, the question with SP and others like this is, how bad do you want a particular toy? Part of the 'fun' is the pain sometimes. Hahaha... yes it's masochistic, but that's how it goes. Personally, I like listening to music. I'm not even much of a typer - I use two maximum 3 fingers to do it. I still type 75+ words a min ... what does this have to do with anything? I have no idea.

Carrying on... oh yes... but I still post on this board and spend time looking stuff up. Yeah SP is a niche product, and that is part of the fun. He could have a better site, he could have more info and more updated stuff on this forum even. He has like 50 products, many of which are variations and extensions of one another... But in the end, it is the amps. I don't know if you've gone to a meet and heard an SP amp. It's all about the sound at the end -- and SP wouldn't be around if it was otherwise.

Now knowing this, waiting is the sad part of it. We SP amp owners have grown accustomed to it... but even we (or I here) as evidenced by this thread, reach our limits sometimes.

I've known Mikhail a long time, and I'd even go so far as to say he's a friend. This thread was created in part to get in contact with him, and in part to genuinely find out if he was alright---since he has been especially hermit-like as of late.

Neil

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #32 of 1,964
I agree with the 2 dept stradigy but then your probably talkiing about another person, that would be nice. If it happens I will be the first to DROOL on my screen looking at the site.

Why do you describe him as Hermit like?

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #33 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I've said this before; I think Mikhail should consider splitting the business into 2 divisions: (1) Stock division with 3-4 offerings and minimal tweaks for people who want SP, but don't need the nth degree of customization and (2) the Custom division, which is devoted to the customized solutions Mikhail is so good at providing (though not quickly). The Stock division should have quality amps across a price range and should maybe help with some economies of scale and labor issues, which would enable Mikhail to turnaround other projects more quickly. Now, I readily admit that I am talking mostly out of my ass, having not run a business myself, but this solution seems to make sense to me at least.

I hope he gets the business challenges ironed out, it must be stressful for him (and his customers of course).

This is EXACTLY the conversation I had with him today, and the SAME suggestion. It is a good business idea -- your not talking out of your arse.

===

His words not mine regarding hermit-like. But this makes sense - he's an 'artist' not an accountant or webmaster. Knowing this, he should have the necessary reinforcements so to speak - but anyway, Mikhail tinkers about and works on amps all day. When he stops answering phone calls, etc... he becomes hermit-like, working away in his lab. He just moved to a new place, outside the city in what seems to be a much more rural area. Thus, Hermit seems apt.

Neil

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #34 of 1,964
Hey Neil,

I hope you get your head back soon.

I almost posted a thread here when he had my SDS-XLR head captive a month ago. The threat was enough to get movement.
biggrin.gif

Let me know how you like the amp when you get it. He updated the circuit, no?

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #35 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by blubliss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Neil,

I hope you get your head back soon.

I almost posted a thread here when he had my SDS-XLR head captive a month ago. The threat was enough to get movement.
biggrin.gif

Let me know how you like the amp when you get it. He updated the circuit, no?

Hey Andy,

Is that your dog man?!

Yeah you know as much as I do! hahaha.. Yeah he has the head, and he updated the circuit -- same as yours correct? What's the story now, how is the HE90? Was it 'broken' like we thought, or was it more the amp? Was it something else? Let's hear it.

Neil

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #36 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Andy,

Is that your dog man?!

Yeah you know as much as I do! hahaha.. Yeah he has the head, and he updated the circuit -- same as yours correct? What's the story now, how is the HE90? Was it 'broken' like we thought, or was it more the amp? Was it something else? Let's hear it.

Neil

That is the ashram dog i take care of, when she was younger.

Still not 100% where the small amount of harshness is from. It may be that the amp circuit was tuned a bit aggressive-per Mikhail? Or the HE90s? Could also be the ECC99s of the NWO? I'm trying to get permission from Alex to try some E180CCs in there.

You gotta come down with your HE90s to see if you can hear where the problem is.
tongue.gif
How about CanJam '09? We can put our rigs together.

Or let me know if you are here any other time. We could have a mini-meet.

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #37 of 1,964
Sounds like Mikhail may be reaching critical mass in regards to the amount of business he can handle. I hope he doesn't get burned out behind all of this, the man makes a great amp...however, customer service is also a part of the experience of a great product. If it starts to slip, so does the shine on the product.

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #38 of 1,964
Yep, I understand full well what you guys are talking about and I agree that Mikhail is a great person, and he needs to run his business more efficienty. He should also have a stock amp and maxed out amp and nothing in between. It take too long for him to customize every amp. I'm waiting for Mikhail to return my headphones, and tubes myself. Hope he can keep his promise about shipping it out early in the morning.

Purk

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #40 of 1,964
Hope your ES-2 surfaces soon Neil. What a great sounding amp!
I think that anyone that's spent more than a few minutes talking to Mikhail will realize what a passionate designer/builder he is. When he's working on a new project, he's a man possessed. He has such a fertile imagination, that that means all the time.
I've met a lot of the silicon valley inventors and that's what they're like. The big difference is that when you're talking about future Fortune 500 start ups, people fall all over themselves to help protect these guys from the day to day needs of themselves and the investors. If they want to come out into the light and deal with the PG&E guy or cut a check for the website designer,.. that's cool. But if they want to hold up for months, you'll have to step over the defensive line that lives to stop you.
SinglePower and Mikhail could probably lease a space, hire some good people and get product out the door a lot more efficiently, but would it be the same SinglePower? Or would Mikhail waste his energy and imagination managing a company.

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #41 of 1,964
I hope my all tube amp (no solid state at all) with gas/mercury rectifiers isn't too much longer,it's been a long time coming

Jun 12, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #42 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope my all tube amp (no solid state at all) with gas/mercury rectifiers isn't too much longer,it's been a long time coming

Oh so your that guy!

Neil

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #44 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Yes I have called him
2) He's avoiding my calls
3) His mailbox is full
4) I've been trying to reach him for 2 weeks calling him every day
5) He promised delivery of my amp (in for repair) over a month ago.

Irresponsibility.

Neil

I feel with you!
frown.gif

Singlepower (Michail) have some scratches in his reputation from earlier, and this story don't exactly strengthen it...

Until he clearly prove that he can build quality products and deliver on time he will never get my money.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #45 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine is supposed to be going out this week. He says it will be at our agreed shipping address when I get back in town. The power supply is less involved than yours. It uses two of the WE323A mercury rectifiers and four A03 tubes in front of them. It will be used mainly for preamp duty in my speaker rig but will also have balanced outputs for headphones. The preamp section is a Supra/Maestro hybred. Lots of tube options but think 2c51s in front of 6bl7gtas will be what I start with. All remote controled and I cant wait.
This is my third long wait for amps and this one has been the hardest to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back