Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?
Jun 12, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #16 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4N6 - While I am sure the 307A is good, you don't know what this amp I am waiting for is all about. It is an electrostatic based tube-amp which I feel, and in my experience, is peerless. There might be a few out there that are close, but the HE90 headphone paired with this monster and my NWO source is to me, the best that it gets.

Neil

Understand completely. It is difficult and frustrating to wait for what seems to be a long and undefined time for the receipt of anything that a person is looking forward to receiving, especially if those items are expensive. It is too bad that the two best electrostatic amps (ES-2 and BHSE) take so darned long to be made.

Good luck!

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #17 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ops - you have my permission to destroy this thread. It does not promote anything good.

Neil

it promoted you speaking with Mikhail, though, it still is an unfortunate predicament.

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it promoted you speaking with Mikhail, though, it still is an unfortunate predicament.

Sadly, thats likely true, and part of my original impetus for creating it. However, I hate bad-mouthing anyone. And for anyone who has never spoken to Mikhail, he is a very nice guy, just.. without a clue as to how to run his business efficiently. But he makes up for that in spades with ingenuity.

Neil

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #19 of 1,964
Here are some old pics before the NWO (with EMM) when Mikhail and Gallina flew over to my place to setup the ES-2: ENJOY!
PS - I have been promised reception of this amp by this Friday/Saturday, or else Mikhail pays me a visit part 2! We'll see.
I made the pics small to fit in all of them.
===

ES2%20Labs%20Stack.jpg

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

ES2%20Closeup.jpg

ES2%20Overhead.jpg

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

===

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #22 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guy cant even publish models or prices or upgrade costs and you want him to answer the phone?

there is more to life than that. you make it sound like its easier for a 1-man show to update his web-page than to pick up the phone. perhaps its easier for you, you should build amps too!

To mikhails credit: He is one of the VERY few people who can and will build an amp to your tastes or do whatever mods you like to an existing product. If you have unusual preferences or desires, and he thinks it has a good purpose, and a solid chance of sounding good you can probably get him to build you something totally custom. He has recommended that I DONT try things in my SP amps because he has and it did not go well. This is in the face of me sending him money for adapters to try stuff.

He does have his "characteristics" and way of doing things, but sometimes you just take the good with the bad.

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #23 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn't that one of the iphone photos you took back in the day?

Yup, they sure are. It's funny too, because in that last shot, I'm leaning back on the bed using my iphone to capture Mikhail taking a shot with the far better camera. But alas... those other photos are somewhere in the ether.

Neil

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #24 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is more to life than that. you make it sound like its easier for a 1-man show to update his web-page than to pick up the phone. perhaps its easier for you, you should build amps too!

To mikhails credit: He is one of the VERY few people who can and will build an amp to your tastes or do whatever mods you like to an existing product. If you have unusual preferences or desires, and he thinks it has a good purpose, and a solid chance of sounding good you can probably get him to build you something totally custom. He has recommended that I DONT try things in my SP amps because he has and it did not go well. This is in the face of me sending him money for adapters to try stuff.

He does have his "characteristics" and way of doing things, but sometimes you just take the good with the bad.

Justins website is and has been reasonably functional. Truth is I just bought a Raptor even though I wanted a Single power unit. I E-mailed him and gave him a price range and he e-mailed me back and he basically said "Buy This One". Now maybe if I could have read up on "This One" that may have been a sale, but I have to tell you There is no info available to make an educated descion and that is his responsibility if selling is one of his goals. I will not buy a 1500 dollar or 2500 dollar amp without having been able to read up on it. No way. I know he makes good stuff and that isnt the intention of my post. Walk into a car dealer and say I have 28 thousand dollars and "What Should I Buy"? Know what I mean?

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #25 of 1,964

Seems to me that answering the phone is something you do after presenting your products to the public. Is that not the model for most of the vendors associated with Head-Fi? I'm not the one who started a thread because someone has had my money or product for an unreasonable amount of time. Maybe some effort into the website would eliminate A LARGE portion of e-mails and phone calls and more time could be spent building amps and spending time on necessary communications with the customers. You going to tell me that with all the Die Hard SP fans out here, that no one could help him with his website? If he is disorganized that just call it that, don't sugar coat it with all that he works hard stuff. Working hard and being organized are two completely different things. Your a big SP fan, why don't you help him instead of telling me what I should think about Mikhail.

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #26 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J...I wanted a Single power unit. I E-mailed him and gave him a price range and he e-mailed me back and he basically said "Buy This One". Now maybe if I could have read up on "This One" that may have been a sale, but I have to tell you There is no info available to make an educated descion ...

Um, what? Yes, his website is lame, but there is more than enough info here at Head-Fi.

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #29 of 1,964
I've said this before; I think Mikhail should consider splitting the business into 2 divisions: (1) Stock division with 3-4 offerings and minimal tweaks for people who want SP, but don't need the nth degree of customization and (2) the Custom division, which is devoted to the customized solutions Mikhail is so good at providing (though not quickly). The Stock division should have quality amps across a price range and should maybe help with some economies of scale and labor issues, which would enable Mikhail to turnaround other projects more quickly. Now, I readily admit that I am talking mostly out of my ass, having not run a business myself, but this solution seems to make sense to me at least.

I hope he gets the business challenges ironed out, it must be stressful for him (and his customers of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back