Where is Ken Law?
Sep 27, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 217
I sent a couple emails, one about three weeks ago and one about five weeks ago, neither of which were answered (one with a read receipt was never read). The last time I heard from Ken was when he was sending out the CAD pictures of the new design. He made it seem like I could expect this thing 2-3 weeks ago. I can't say I'm comfortable with the situation.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #18 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
I sent a couple emails, one about three weeks ago and one about five weeks ago, neither of which were answered (one with a read receipt was never read). The last time I heard from Ken was when he was sending out the CAD pictures of the new design. He made it seem like I could expect this thing 2-3 weeks ago. I can't say I'm comfortable with the situation.

Theres ways to get around read receipts. Next time imbed a transparent png image hosted on your hosting. Don't send the image to anyone else. Then check your hosting to see if it has been viewed by a Hong Kong IP.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #19 of 217
I was about to start this thread earlier in the day but didn't have time. I also ordered, and spoke with Ken three weeks ago. At that point, the estimated shipping date was 9/20 and he was about to send me actual pictures of it.

I've already contacted Paypal (and I have paypal credit). There is nothing to be done past 45 days, or at least that is what was explained to me. If we are being taken, and I believe we are, then that will be a bill that shall not be paid. I don't agree with that policy. We're talking about actual credit here, paypal. Not ebay auctions.

But, at this point Head-fi seems to be the best bet on getting in touch with him. I think what happened is that he kept upgrading it, got a bill, realized it was a mistake, and just moved on. Personally, this leaves a bitter taste and I believe I've found the end to my audiophile journey should this continue on to it's obvious, if not cynical, conclusion.

Daryn

edit: Also, forgot to mention to people to not bother contacting Alvin Fok, the person you sent your payment to. He doesn't answer his email either, it seems.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #20 of 217
I just disputed the charge through American Express. I was told they would conduct an investigation and have the results of that investigation within 6-8 weeks. I've never had to dispute a charge before so I don't know what to expect. Probably would be a good idea for anyone else who ordered a dac to do the same.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehungryeye
I just disputed the charge through American Express. I was told they would conduct an investigation and have the results of that investigation within 6-8 weeks. I've never had to dispute a charge before so I don't know what to expect. Probably would be a good idea for anyone else who ordered a dac to do the same.

Be careful. Last time I read the PayPal TOS issuing a chargeback was a violation of it. I think there was some dispute over that and they now allow some short window like 45 or 90 days, but you may want to check over that.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #22 of 217
Is it possible that other thread about ken that kind of gave him a bad name pissed him off and now he's deciding to just keep our money? I really hope nothing like that is going on, all my previous contact with ken was positive.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #23 of 217
Maybe Eddie over at DIYKITS could go over and kick the $hit out of Ken?

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #24 of 217
While I agree that Ken is a much better engineer than he is a business person, it seems unusual that he would just run away with the money. We have to acknowledge the fact that he does (did) legitimately produce exceptional DACs, and he has delivered them to the satisfaction of a number of people. Why just stop all of a sudden, or rather, gradually fade from existence? It doesn't make sense.

I find it hard to believe that at their current asking price, these DACs are economical for Ken to produce.

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #25 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck
While I agree that Ken is a much better engineer than he is a business person, it seems unusual that he would just run away with the money. We have to acknowledge the fact that he does (did) legitimately produce exceptional DACs, and he has delivered them to the satisfaction of a number of people. Why just stop all of a sudden, or rather, gradually fade from existence? It doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I am thinking the same thing. But look at my previous post, thats what worries me.

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #26 of 217
Just found and read this thread. I've also put in an order for a D02A back in late July. I haven't tried contacting Ken recently but did hear from him on Aug 25th. Nothing new, just that he was working on the chassis and that the PCB will be out in 8-10 days in which he'll send out pics in that time. I haven't received any pics since and assume no one else has either. He did mention to me in that same email that he was having problems with his web server.

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #27 of 217
Hey wait a minute!

The thing isn’t even really late and you should have expected it to be late. So what’s the big uproar over when he’s known to be “not responsive”, late with delivery and withdraws when behind schedule.

The end of September- what’s that Friday at midnight?

With his known history and background I think you’re all over reacting. Yeah he could respond to your emails and say “no I’m not working I’m responding to you email”.

Making inflammatory statements here when you don’t know anything is foolish.

I for one am all for holding a manufacturers feet to the fire but you have to have reasonable expectations and this item is not really late and it would be reasonable to believe it will be late so chill out.

Mitch

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #30 of 217
The last I heard from Ken was on the 1st of September. He said that everything was going smoothly and that he was looking at an estimated ship date of the 20th of September. I emailed him on the 20th asking him what the status was but have not heard anything back from him. I originally placed my order on the 2nd of August...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back