Where is a newbie to start?
Aug 1, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #16 of 53
OK, I bought the KSC-35's.
Now, if I am willing to spend another $100 or so now, would I be better off buying a portable amp for the Koss cans and using those for home and portable, or spending that $100 on a pair of Grado or Senns for home use, but with no amp?

Is $100 even enough to get a basic META42 amp built for me?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #18 of 53
I'm almost positive $100 is enough to build a BASIC version of the meta42. It would be worth it though, to save up a bit more and get a better version, with 8610 opamps, etc.

Heck, first wait, and listen to the ksc-35s. If you're ready to move up from them(and you will be
smily_headphones1.gif
), then decide what you want.

Personally, I haven't tried the ksc35s with an amp. I have read here, though, that they become even more amazing. But it won't be as large of an improvement as with other cans.

Aug 1, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 53
If you are absolutely itching to spend another c-note or so, get a nice DIY amp. The Koss' will scale nicely with an amp and will sound better. The lower-end Grado's (60 & 80's) are not that much better than the much cheaper Koss', and the Grado's are alot less comfortable during long listening sessions. The amp can always be used with any headphone you get now or in the future.

MHO, anyway.

-j

Aug 2, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #20 of 53
You're getting the ksc-35s. Good. Even if you buy nicer headphones down the road, these are great to keep around as portables.

Now get at least a basic amp. If you're feeling adventurous, you can build a basic cmoy amp for under $30. If you want to step up from there, the META42 is a good way to go, and I'm building some for others. PM me if you're interested.
wink.gif

However, the META42 will cost a good bit more than a cmoy. The 35s are certainly good, I'm not sure they're good enough for you to appreciate the difference between a cmoy and a #42. Consider the 42 if you think you're going to get some nicer cans down the road.

Aug 3, 2002 at 8:28 AM Post #21 of 53
I would probably suggest that you hold off with an amp/headphone purchase all together. Break in your Koss phones, enjoy them, see what you like and what you don't like about them. After you've gotten a firm handle on your likes/dislikes, get a budget of about $300-$500 and then start doing serious headphone/amp shopping for home use. That amount of money will open up a whole new set of possibilities and put you in a totally different level of hi-fi headphones.

Aug 4, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 53
Duffrey
HI: If I was just starting out I would get the koss-35 and if possible a portable amp. Now I have been here for a while and have had lots of cans and amps but still use the koss-35 when I need extream portabilty or just a pair of very contible and great sounding cans that are very cheep. I have much more exspensive cans but the good old 35s will always be one of my cans of choice.

Aug 4, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #24 of 53
gswpete
HI: The 35s dont leak a lot of sound due to thier small size. If you want to hear sound leakage listen to the philips 890s that are huge boy you can hear them across the room but I really like both of these cans.

Aug 4, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #26 of 53
gswpete
HI: You may find that the 35s are more than just one of your portable cans. When you get them be sure to post on them.

Aug 4, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Nice recommendation regarding the Grado SR-60 and CHA47 amp! I've been listening a lot lately to the SR-60s with this combo (and the META42 as well) and I've gained a real appreciation for what these Grados can do for $69 retail. To my ears, they are warmer than I remember the SR-80s to be (comfy pads at play here?), with excellent bass and a very smooth high end. For me, they do not exhibit any harshness at all, as some have complained. I know the Koss KSC-35s are an amazing bargain at around $25, but I feel the SR-60s, being full-sized headphones, are much easier for me to put on, and deliver sound that, for $69 is almost as good a bargain. Highly recommended.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you're right about the comfy pads playing a role in the SR60 sounding 'nicer' for many people - the bowl pads make the SR60 sound a bit like an HD280. It's not as precise but the sound becomes a bit sharper.

(Side note: HD280 owners seem typically say their phones have great bass, and SR60 owners seem typically say their phones have not much bass. In fact with the bowl pads, both have very similar bass.)

But the SR-series are generally the least intrusive in terms of comfort because they're so light, and the headband is so basic but totally does its job.

Grado still has a lot of homework to do on earpad materials though. You may not like strapping on the SR60 for extended periods on this premise. Typically if the Sony Streetstyle-type phones irritate your ears due to the pad material, then the Grados will too...

Aug 4, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #29 of 53
What exactly do you mean by "bowl" pads? Headroom has two versions of pads for the Grados. One is called "Large" (http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0060090005) and the other called "soft" (http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0060090000).

I have the Grado 60 and 225. The 60 is an "earmuff" type, the 225 has holes cut out of the center. Of the two, I find the 60's to be a little more comfortable, but they seem to muffle and darken the sound a bit. The 225's are much brighter in sound, but my ears get uncomfortable by being in contact with the headphone speaker.

Aug 4, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #30 of 53
dandrewk
HI: See those earmuff pads that hide some of the sound. Try this. Thake of the pads and cut a quarter or a little smaller round hole in them. This will release the mids and the highs. No more muff sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back