Where is a good place to start?
Nov 6, 2003 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bill

New Head-Fier
I've been reading these forums and looking at some Headwize stuff for a while now; most of he DIY guides and instructions are way beyond my level of comprehension and assume an understand of things that I don't have.

Where is a good place to start? I understand that this place is for audiophiles and the stuff I'm probably looking for is waaay below the standards of anyone else here, but I do not know of another place to ask.

Does anyone know of any "absolute newbie" articles or guides that discuss the basics of modifying sound/amplification/etc.? What would be a good way just to get my feet wet in this stuff? I think I would be blown away by just about anything that would make my 'phones sound any different than they usually do. Sad but true.

Nov 6, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 7
Well, it really depends on how newbie you are. If you found that the tutorials on Tangent's site are well above your level then you probably need to look as some basic general electronic stuff before getting in the more specific audio stuff. What I means is that you will probably understand nothing at even basic audio article if you don't know what a volatge, resistor or capacitor are...

Here's a link I found useful for people how wants to learn some basic stuff in electronic: Exploring Electrical Eng.. At least give a look the "Basic Concepts" and "Elements" sections, which have the basics things you need to know as a new DIYourselfer. You probably already know some of the things presented there, but it's always good to remember.

The other sections are more or less specialized EE concepts. All are interesting, but for someone wanting to build audio amp, the section on "Frequency" is probably the most interesting.

Hope this helps!

Nov 6, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 7
Wow, I just read the tangentsoft cmoy guide from start to finish. I think I can handle that
biggrin.gif

Thank you for the links and resources, I'm going to check the others out now. (And I've got an amazon GC+a borders gift card so I'll probably pick up the book sometime soon.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back