Where is a good place to start with hard liquor?
Oct 16, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have a good grasp on beers, wines, and a little cognac.

Now I am wanting to learn about bourbon, scotch, and or whiskey.

Where is a good place to start and to build from? I have a very tolerant palette and can handle anything. (I'm not referring to amount, just strength in taste.)

I want to develop a taste for spirits. I would like to get a few bottles (cheap and midrange priced) with around $100. My question is probably unclear, so I'll rephrase it again. I want to learn about one type of alcohol, I don't plan on buying a bottle of scotch, whiskey, and bourbon.

Thanks,

Wyatt

PS. Please no hard to find boutique brands. And sorry for my young ignorance.
redface.gif

You don't look old enough to drink. May I see your driver's license please?

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't look old enough to drink. May I see your driver's license please?

There you go sir.

oldirtybastard%20returntothe%2036%20chambers%20front%20cover.jpg

Of course all of this discussion is assuming I will drink at home, outside of the states, where the legal age is quite different.

I have no intent to break the law.

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There you go sir.

oldirtybastard%20returntothe%2036%20chambers%20front%20cover.jpg

Of course all of this discussion is assuming I will drink at home, outside of the states, where the legal age is quite different.

I have no intent to break the law.

Who cares anyways. Let the kid do what he does, lets be honest most of you started drinkin when you were 16.

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if you're aware of this (and no one has mentioned it yet), but scotch and bourbon are whiskey. Scotch is whiskey from Scotland. For the specific regulations on what makes a whiskey bourbon, rye, or corn whiskey, do a google or wikipedia search. There are actually very strict rules classifying various whiskies.

Personally, I enjoy single malt scotches the most.

Scotch is most certainly NOT whiskey. Not by any stretch of the imagination. It is whisky (no 'e').

I would say that scotch is definitely the way to go. Get yourself a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood. This is a very nice whisky, and as well as being quite complex and interesting to drink, it's quite sweet (comparatively) and therefore very good to get you started.

I would also echo what others have said about it being a good idea to go somewhere where you can try it a measure at a time, a bar with a good selection, for instance, and find out what sort of flavours you enjoy. Do you like peaty flavours, for example?

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #27 of 31
As a bartender I have some experience with this, and I agree that you should take the opportunity to just try different things at a bar. I realize you are under the legal drinking age in the United States, and I would suggest that you hold off on your desire to become a connoisseur of sorts until it is easier for you to buy things other than bottles of liquor.

But here's three recommendations that should be easy to find and appreciate, and are cost effective:
Blanton's Handmade Bourbon
-or-
Wild Turkey Rare Breed - I realize this may be frowned upon by some true bourbon lovers, but I think it has fantastic taste and texture for the price, and is easily accessible.

Macallan 12 - An excellent young single malt which is smooth and consistent and easy to enjoy. Not the most complex scotch, and not the best, but good for the price, and a very respectable whiskey nonetheless.

Johnnie Walker Gold - An excellent scotch blend which can be had for around ~$90.

But as I said, this is all easier when you can just go into a bar (maybe even mine), and just ask your bartender what's good.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long Island Ice Tea!

1 part vodka
1 part tequila
1 part rum
1 part gin
1 part triple sec
1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix
1 splash Coca-Cola®

Now you can get to know 4 spirits in a yummy drink! :wink: