Where is a good place to start with hard liquor?
Oct 15, 2007 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
I already have a good grasp on beers, wines, and a little cognac.

Now I am wanting to learn about bourbon, scotch, and or whiskey.

Where is a good place to start and to build from? I have a very tolerant palette and can handle anything. (I'm not referring to amount, just strength in taste.)

I want to develop a taste for spirits. I would like to get a few bottles (cheap and midrange priced) with around $100. My question is probably unclear, so I'll rephrase it again. I want to learn about one type of alcohol, I don't plan on buying a bottle of scotch, whiskey, and bourbon.

Thanks,

Wyatt

PS. Please no hard to find boutique brands. And sorry for my young ignorance.
redface.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 31
Long Island Ice Tea!

1 part vodka
1 part tequila
1 part rum
1 part gin
1 part triple sec
1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix
1 splash Coca-Cola®

Now you can get to know 4 spirits in a yummy drink! :wink:

See you on skid row.......burp.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 31
Oct 16, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's more threads, I'm just too lazy to link them. I personally just go buy mini-bottles from the liquor store. Too bad that the selection is usually limited...

That's a great idea, it reminds me of a place near here which has a huge selection of all kinds of spirits, up to the $1200 bottle of cognac. But they also have a whole cabinet full of those "airline" bottles of this & that. You are over 21, right?

OK, I checked your profile. Location Boston/Kansas City. Age 19. PM me when you turn legal drinking age, and I'll tell you where the place is.
Cheers!
Laz

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 31
There are a lot better drinks than Long Island Ice Teas, unless you want to be sick.

Take a look at the links that Kirosia linked.

IMO Gin is an acquired taste more so than any other hard liquor. Give it a try and chances are you will not like it
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 31
Single malts are trendy, but there's a lot there to explore with a rich history and exquisite variety. Moreover, it's relatively affordable as there are great options at all economic levels.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 31
I enjoy gin, but I have only had Bombay and Tanqueray (probably considered crap by enthusiasts).

My friend has some very nice single malts that he has let me try, and I really enjoyed them. However, I thought I should start with something cheaper before I started buying $50+ bottles.

I want to drink enough of the cheaper (but quality) stuff to understand the difference between a 15 dollar bottle and a 150 dollar bottle.

I don't have the time or money for mixed drinks.
smily_headphones1.gif

And I don't plan on "not liking" anything. I hated tomatoes for my whole life, but after 2 years of forcing myself to eat them, I find them delicious. The same goes for cigars, blackest of black coffee, cucumbers, raw onions, celery, and very strong teas. I'm not picky. Leave me at a beach and I'll learn to eat solid diet of sand and saltwater.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 31
I love single malts, but if you want to get started on something more cost effective,

bourbon has great flavors and you can get really high end stuff for low cost. Single barrel bourbons can be had for $40 which are top notch.

Also check out tequila. Good tequila is exquisite. For a good tequila that is low cost, look for Sauza Hornitos. It should be about $25 and it is great for the price. From then you can move up to repasados and anejos.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 31
Since you have gotten little taste of Gin and some Single Malts you don't have to buy the expensive stuff to enjoy it. As far as Single Malts go, a bottle Macallans 12 yr old or Oban 14 yr old would be a good starting point. Both bottles can be had for under $50 and both are very. Check the above links posted by Kirosia as there's a wealth of info in them.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 31
Thanks for the advice. I've learned a lot so far.

As of now I plan on purchasing the following to get my feet wet:

Virgina Gentlemen 90
George Dickel 12
Old Forester
Elijah 12

After a few paychecks I can hopefully afford a bottle of Maccallans or Bookers. (Headphones, concerts, liquor, and college make for a tight budget.)

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I am wanting to learn about bourbon, scotch, and or whiskey.

I don't know if you're aware of this (and no one has mentioned it yet), but scotch and bourbon are whiskey. Scotch is whiskey from Scotland. For the specific regulations on what makes a whiskey bourbon, rye, or corn whiskey, do a google or wikipedia search. There are actually very strict rules classifying various whiskies.

Personally, I enjoy single malt scotches the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back