Where is a good place for buying cds online?
Mar 18, 2002 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
I am little tired of getting cds from local stores. They are usually pretty slow when it comes to having my cds specially order from their depots out of town. I order 15 cds from before christmas and I still waiting on some of them to come (one more just arrived yesterday lol
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I don't mind the wait but I hate having to got pick up my cds one by one week after week. Are there any places online where I can order a bunch of cds and have them ship all of it at the same time instead of having all them coming in 20 million different boxes.
wink.gif

Where would be a cheap place to buy cds online? Is cdnow any good? They seem to have a very large collection of cds.

Mar 18, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 37
The only thing I really like cdnow for is the free samples of music. Their prices aren't the best, however... sometimes several dollars above the store with the lowest price, and their shipping costs seem a bit high too.

I'd say just look everywhere if you know what CDs you want to buy. Try cdnow, amazon.com, shopping.yahoo.com, and your local stores -- sometimes they are cheaper! Consider that at least here in Massachusetts, $.50 tax on a $10 CD ends up being less than a $2.50 shipping charge on a $9 CD.

Mar 18, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 37
I have had good luck with Amazon. But they do come in a million different boxes. I will try JandR next time though... they have a good selection and cheap.

Mar 19, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 37
I wouldn't buy from CDNow.com -- they rip you off. I used to buy from them all the time. Would constantly put things in my wish list, and then wait for my wish list to go on sale, or everything to go on sale, and then buy it all. They would send everything they had, but inevitably, some would not be in stock (I have very esoteric tastes). That's alright, at least I got them on sale...or so I thought. It seems that when they calculate what to charge you, they do so at the time, which means, no coupons, no sale. Grrr...took me a long time to figure that out, too. Still pisses me off thinking about it.

Mar 19, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 37
Dusty: Man, that really bites......what a rip........I like cheap-cds.com - fast shipping, cheap prices considering it's new stuff......

Mar 19, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 37
I just went to JandR today and they had a $9.99 sale on a pile of recent release cd's and lots of cheaper cds on sale too, i also saw a platinum album sale for $10 (like Metallica's black album). This is a good place to shop for dvd's as well, picked up mad max dvd for $14 and a slew of cds (some remasters) for $10 on average.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 37
There's this one called www.fye.com. It's probably not as good as the ones that have been previously described, but it's just something to add to your repertoire of online CD stores.

Mar 23, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 37
Here's my program:
(1) use Amazon to shop and identify the CDs (and books and DVDs) for your "get list" and put these in your Amazon shopping cart (which they will maintain for you for 90 days) without buying them. Amazon lists a HUGE stock of product and will give you correct titles and artist (and spellings and ISBNs) which makes step 2 much easier

(2) Buy these items from someplace cheaper as opportunity arises. I like AllDirect.com because they have good stock, good prices, and also carry books and DVDs, but I am sure there are comparable competitors. E-tailer pricing changes, and mySimon, PriceGrabber, DealTime can help to sort out who has the best prices and shipping now.

(3) Once or twice a year, for the stuff you can't find or can't find at a better price and still have to own, actually order your shopping cart residue from Amazon. They will ship everything as it becomes available for the same shipping price and seem to have the best system for getting the difficult items.

BTW, if you are given to critical reviews as a basis for your purchases, AllMusic.com seems more objective to me than Amazon's user reviews, but both help.

Works for me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 37
I started to love this thread. Cool sites I have never know start to pop up. However, there still one question I have in my mind. How about Classical CD? I have trouble finding discount site for classical CD. Say.. Half.com, cheapCds.com, Alldirect.com... can't search them...

anyone has some sites to recommend?

Mar 24, 2002 at 9:56 AM Post #13 of 37
Yea, I think Amazon is a great place to get music. They have a system for recommending new CDs to you based on other buyers' related purchases to your purchases, which makes it easier for you to know which CDs to buy and such.

Mar 24, 2002 at 10:50 AM Post #14 of 37
I'm a big fan of alldirect.com. You can get back catalog items for much lower than anyone else can sell, though they are often out of stock of items you're looking for, and their prices for new items is usually no better than any other e-tailer.

Mar 24, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 37
For classical CDs, check out the Berkshire Record Outlet (www.broinc.com). They carry a lot of cutouts and overrun CDs for ridiculous prices. Just yesterday I drove out there (I live near the Berkshires) and picked up 70 CDs for $140. All of the CDs I bought were under the Brilliant Classics label, and while they might not all be 'definitive performances' of the music, I've found them so far to be of very listenable quality - a wonderful bargain. While I can't speak for their mail-order service, I know that most of their business is mail order, so you shouldn't have any trouble there. Anyway, check out their website and do a search by label for Brilliant Classics if you want to see the lowest priced CDs, then search for some reviews to decide whether or not they're worth buying. Or better yet, ask me about specific sets; I bought a big chunk of that label's catalog.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back