Where have all the ear buds gone? (non-isolating)
Nov 8, 2014 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lamski

New Head-Fier
It seems that ever since the IEM came out the non-isolating ear buds of the 90's have just about gone extinct. While the sound isolating IEMs are superior in most cases, there are some situations when I need an ear bud style set up such as during casual late night computer use for watching videos and non-critical music listening when I also need to hear my phone and other sounds in the house. As well as the convenience of being able to put on and take off the ear buds quickly and easily multiple times. The original apple ear buds are ok but are any other companies making non-isolating ear buds that are decent?

I already have multiple pairs of isolating IEMs as well as a nice set of Senheiser hd-580s for critial listening.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 10
a pair of open cans isn't a bad buy. For home use only though, I don't bring mine out due to the lack of isolation.

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 10
It seems that ever since the IEM came out the non-isolating ear buds of the 90's have just about gone extinct. While the sound isolating IEMs are superior in most cases, there are some situations when I need an ear bud style set up such as during casual late night computer use for watching videos and non-critical music listening when I also need to hear my phone and other sounds in the house. As well as the convenience of being able to put on and take off the ear buds quickly and easily multiple times. The original apple ear buds are ok but are any other companies making non-isolating ear buds that are decent?

I already have multiple pairs of isolating IEMs as well as a nice set of Senheiser hd-580s for critial listening.

A case of bad research here, lol. Head-fi has all the info. Lots of buds still around and talked about here. New Senns(MX475/575), multiple BLOX models now(BE3/5/7), Dunu hybrid with an armature in them(Alpha 1), New AKG Y10/Y15, Sidy KT, Ostry's upcoming KC08, Hifiman ES100, Sony STH30, and quite a few others. Then you have the Chinese DIY earbud market if you think you know your stuff  well enough to pick out a winner
cool.gif
!

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 10
If you can find them, the discontinued Bose IE2 is a good choice. They don't isolate, are supremely comfortable and offer pretty decent sound - especially imaging. I found a pair at Target for $30. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 10
Where have all the ear buds gone?

The earbuds are still available in markets other than the US. Companies like AKG and Sennheiser still make them, but don't sell them here in the States for whatever reason. I realize that they're probably low margin products, but the companies could at least sell the buds directly.

Anyway, jant71's got a good list of the newer models that you could check out.

If you can find them, the discontinued Bose IE2 is a good choice. They don't isolate, are supremely comfortable and offer pretty decent sound - especially imaging. I found a pair at Target for $30. 

How long ago was this? I might consider a pair if I could get them that cheaply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back