Where has my sibilance gone.
Jul 6, 2009 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ford2

Headphoneus Supremus
XP Pro, RME card, Asio drivers,into aria amp feeding SA5000's=sibilance on some recordings as to be expected.

Same system now with Vista ultimate drive in,still using same hardware and still with Asio driver= NO sibilance,and a loss of some detail and dynamics.
The loss is slight but is there,so much for vista not doing anything with the output.

With native Asio drivers loaded Why is there a difference.What is Vista doing.

Using Foo & Cplay identical results.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try waspi output in foobar, you need to get the plugin from foobar's site.

Can't use waspi with RME card,it only has Asio drivers.
Asio should be bypassing all,but Vista is doing something that is not good.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 15
Right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right hand of the screen, select Playback devices. Make sure all your settings are the same as they were before. Vista has better audio handling than XP did. Maybe on your old system your output was being resampled if you didn't have ASIO set up properly. In Foobar you have to make sure your ASIO output devices are properly mapped. In Vista this often crashed on me, but after about 4 or 5 times of re-opening Foobar it eventually works.

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 15
try KS? might need to set it to 24bit, but it'll only be padded...no conversion taking place.

anyway, some rare ppl have reported audio to sound better in XP than in Vista...strange, but true
confused.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 15
Try to play a bit with vista audio panel, try spidf out as default device instead of speakers, since you`re using asio it should work,
it doesnt have to do with wasapi or kernell since asio is enough to bypass drivers in vista

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 15
To All,the RME card ONLY has Asio drivers,with this driver it either works or it does not,there is no in-between.
There are no different settings to set,its simply foobar with RME digi asio as the output.
The absolute only difference in the whole system is the OS,they are in removable caddies,one out,one in.
Somehow vista is altering the signal, which should not happen with a native asio driver.
If it stays like this no problems I will build a dedicated audio PC running XP,this might be just the excuse I need.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 15
the RME cards definitely offer KS support(but only in 24bit IIRC)...many friends of mine use it in Reclock
wink.gif

and if you look hard enough, maybe they also offer WaveRT drivers for Vista...it would only make sense.

try ASIO4ALL too, you'll see that KS works.

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #12 of 15
so you tried? in 24bit? also through ASIO4ALL? I heard the Digi96 drivers were pretty basic indeed..

anyway, I plan on moving to W7 soon or later...this kind of testimonial kinda worries me
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #13 of 15
The only difference between vista and xp is the audio control pannel, regardless your soundcard, you should find it Control Panel-Sound-Playback, check RME Input-Output, try to change default devices: speakers; spidf etc.
If you check spidf as default, it should be no processing at all by the OS
beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 15
Either it wasn't set up properly before, or it isn't set up properly now. Don't say there aren't any other settings to set. Windows has a funny way of doing things it shouldn't. That is why I suggested in my last post that you go to your sound panel and check your playback device settings to make sure you are set on the proper bit rate and sample rate. If everything is the same, than there is some incompatibility with the drivers.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either it wasn't set up properly before, or it isn't set up properly now. Don't say there aren't any other settings to set. Windows has a funny way of doing things it shouldn't. That is why I suggested in my last post that you go to your sound panel and check your playback device settings to make sure you are set on the proper bit rate and sample rate. If everything is the same, than there is some incompatibility with the drivers.

Not trying to be abrupt,vista just being a pig,for those that do not know vista does not recognise a card if it has asio drivers only.I am not throwing my card away just for eye candy.
Will ghost an image back and install SP2 maybe its had a hiccup,along with the other100 or so.I use a 32" monitor and vista's graphics/aero etc look fantastic compared with XP,just a pity it does not perform as good.
Tempted to pick up a used mac and try it out,will load it all back new tomorrow and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back