where does one find a fashion designer?
Oct 1, 2009 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fatman711

Member of the Trade: JMoney Audio
A friend of mine is planning to start a small leather goods company like wallets, small bags, etc, etc. and is trying to look for a fashion designer.

Where does one find some of these people?

thanks

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 13
Oct 1, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 13
etsy is also a good place to sniff around. it is a community based on selling amateur arts and crafts, however youd be very surprised how terrific some of these artists are!

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What specifically are you looking for a designer to do?

design new products like a new design of wallet for example. Something that isn't just a regular wallet with pictures on it but a modern more practical wallet.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 13
etsy is also a good place to sniff around. it is a community based on selling amateur arts and crafts, however youd be very surprised how terrific some of these artists are!

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of mine is planning to start a small leather goods company like wallets, small bags, etc, etc. and is trying to look for a fashion designer.

Where does one find some of these people?

50% of being a 'fashion designer' is knowing how to *craft* garments and accessories. It sounds to me like your pal doesn't need a fashion designer; rather, he needs a brood of fashionistas. And he might need a marketer. He seems to want to know *what* sorts of things he ought to make rather than how to fashion them.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 13
sorry to say this but i wouldnt go with the students if you are serious.

it depends how you want to operate. if you want local, hire someone local. if not, you can pretty much request what you want from the stores listed on the site. they will do it for you. but there is minimum order quantity for custom made/special order goods. for examples, T shirts with simple prints, your spec and your design, minimum order is about 400 pcs. i dont know about the terms for accessories.

now that market is pretty much jacked up, you can get things at a killer price.
and yeah, if you order enough, they will do free design/samples for you, too. which means, you dont need to hire anyone.

you might want to take a visit.

edit: if you only need a few samples/items, hmmm... it wont be so easy..

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #13 of 13
thanks for all the replies. There definitely has to be samples made to test quality and to know what we are getting. So maybe what we need to find is a small time person/company that is starting up that needs an opportunity to expand and to showcase their skills, adding to their portfolio.

If anyone is a designer or knows of anyone, let me know

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back