Where does high end start in the SP lineup?
Sep 6, 2008 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
As stated, I would think starting at the Supra but a lot of Extreme and MPX owners would argue with that. Veteran owners, what say you?

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 14
I have a Platinum Extreme with stepped attenuator and Black Gate output upgrade. I consider it in the same league as the Zana Deux and jp#'s H2 (he wouldn't
regular_smile .gif
). This is either just below high end or "low-end" high end. I prefer to think of them as the latter.
redface.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 14
I'd say the MPX3 SLAM SE qualifies as high end.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 14
What's high end? A lot of people have really liked my stock PPX-3, especially me. Does the lower price tag disqualify it as high-end? Lack of higher-priced options? It is what it is, and it sounds high-end to me. You get more detail going up the line, but lose some of the kick-ass PRAT. The PPX-3 gets your feet moving. I like an amp that's just plain fun sometimes. The SDS works a bit differently, as it can very subtly make you forget everything but the music. Also high-end, but in a different way.

It's important to realize that "high-end" is defined by the listener and the sound, not the price tag.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 14
That is why i am passing on an Extreme and looking for a good PPX3 SLAM.It was my first high end amp and regret selling it even today.That's it in my avatar *cries*.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's high end? A lot of people have really liked my stock PPX-3, especially me. Does the lower price tag disqualify it as high-end? Lack of higher-priced options? It is what it is, and it sounds high-end to me. You get more detail going up the line, but lose some of the kick-ass PRAT. The PPX-3 gets your feet moving. I like an amp that's just plain fun sometimes. The SDS works a bit differently, as it can very subtly make you forget everything but the music. Also high-end, but in a different way.

It's important to realize that "high-end" is defined by the listener and the sound, not the price tag.

Well in regards to it's sound, imo it is not high end. I had the ppx3 slam and really enjoyed it, but in comparison to some other amps(which happen to be more expensive) it is a bit closed in and lacking detail. However it is probably the best amp for the money, especially used.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well in regards to it's sound, imo it is not high end. I had the ppx3 slam and really enjoyed it, but in comparison to some other amps(which happen to be more expensive) it is a bit closed in and lacking detail. However it is probably the best amp for the money, especially used.

Did you ever try the Sylvania or Raytheon 6GU7 tube for gain in the PPX3? That makes a world of difference. The 6GU7 definitely addresses the closed in character you mention .... and the 6GU7 also has better current output used as an output tube with low impedance headphones in the standard PPX3. The 5687 output tubes with a 6GU7 for gain in the PPX3 SLAM is an amazing combo with my woodied Alessandro MS1s. The SP amps are so musically satisfying I could live with any of them long term; including the PPX3.

Personanally, I have yet to hear a SP amp I would not characterize as high end, once I dialed the amp in. The SPs do get even better as you move up the line and I especially like the high voltage 6BL7GTA output tube in any of the standard amps .... PPX3/MPX3 or Supra. The Supra with 6AS7G output tubes and the Extreme throw an absolutely huge soundstage.

Interestingly, I recently procured one of the few Mini-Tube prototypes that uses all subminature tubes. I had read reports that seemed only to focus on how hot the amp ran,which is true. But a bigger case would fix that.

Given that and the fact the amp had a 1/8" input which forced me to use a cheap RS rca> mini jack .... I didnt expect as much. I have to tell you the little amp absolutely rocks. The bass punch of this little marvel rivals the high voltage 6B7GTA Supra. Once I obtained a good rca> mini jack cable from Enigma Audio this amp stands toe to toe with with any of my SP amps short of the Supras.

Amp + power supply

IMG_0215.jpg

Mini-Tube sitting on an Eastsound E5 to give you an idea of the amps actual size.

IMG_0216.jpg

A couple closeups of the Mini-Tube ....

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you ever try the Sylvania or Raytheon 6GU7 tube for gain in the PPX3? That makes a world of difference. The 6GU7 definitely addresses the closed in character you mention .... and the 6GU7 also has better current output used as an output tube with low impedance headphones in the standard PPX3. The 5687 output tubes with a 6GU7 for gain in the PPX3 SLAM is an amazing combo with my woodied Alessandro MS1s. The SP amps are so musically satisfying I could live with any of them long term; including the PPX3.

Yea, I bought all the tubes you originally recommended me and I found the amperex(can't remember the number) driver to address the problem most. It did indeed help, but I just don't think I'd classify the ppx3 as high end because it just isn't refined enough. It is very, very fun in terms of liveliness and bass response though.

From what I've read, I think that the extreme and the mpx3 adds that refinement.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I bought all the tubes you originally recommended me and I found the amperex(can't remember the number) driver to address the problem most. It did indeed help, but I just don't think I'd classify the ppx3 as high end because it just isn't refined enough. It is very, very fun in terms of liveliness and bass response though.

From what I've read, I think that the extreme and the mpx3 adds that refinement.

What were you using for your source and headphone with the PPX3?

You tend to change your equipment frequently and I have lost track.
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Every SP amp I have heard above the stock PPX3 would IMO be considered High-End headphone amplification.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every SP amp I have heard above the stock PPX3 would IMO be considered High-End headphone amplification.

I definetly agree with this but I will say that if I saw a PPX3 for sale for say less than $425 I would most likely pick it up. It is a very nice sounding unit.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What were you using for your source and headphone with the PPX3?

You tend to change your equipment frequently and I have lost track.
biggrin.gif

Yea, I have a very bad habit of changing things too soon. lol I was using the Beresford and Grado 325i, SA5000, K701, W5000, RS-1, and HD650's. It worked great out of every one of them, which is what I like best about them. Considering I only paid $600 for it, including the tubes I bought, it was a great value.

I would still love to try an extreme or mpx3, but I think I want to try electrostats now.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 14
Sixerfan,

I hope we could do a S. OH meet soon and have these amps to review. Now that you have your NM24, we would have a nice source to try them with. Haven't you stepped up the equipment lately? To see all those hps gone through without listening to them with your current gear seems a bit sad. Oh well, such is life with the quest.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sixerfan,

I hope we could do a S. OH meet soon and have these amps to review. Now that you have your NM24, we would have a nice source to try them with. Haven't you stepped up the equipment lately? To see all those hps gone through without listening to them with your current gear seems a bit sad. Oh well, such is life with the quest.

Yea, I was just thinking the same. I am also in the works of purchasing a nice electrostat rig. Keeping my fingers crossed there. lol

I have just been spending so much money, I need to get off of this site. haha

I'd definitely be up to a meet. I really didn't want to meet before without having enough gear to be able to contribute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back