Where do you get your music?
Mar 21, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #47 of 147
Quote:

Because it's a huge pain in the butt to convert something to lossy, much less a lot of things to lossy.

With my iTunes on my Mac I keep all the files (burned from CDs) as Apple Lossless, but the synced versions on my iPod touch are all converted down to 256 kbps. This works seamlessly. If the conversion takes longer than simply copying the original file, it does not matter much to me because usually when I sync my iPod Touch there is probably one new CD and it all happens fast enough for me.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #49 of 147
Quote:
Like I said, thats fair enough.
wink.gif

I wasn't having a go at you and I suppose it does serve that purpose well.

But for a lot of people, they're just wasting space by thinking they're getting better out of their Ipods, when they're not.

its alright i wasnt having a go at you its just the norm for internet speak not to convey emotions!

I do agree though i don't find my self putting lossless onto a player for the a expected quality boost.
The downloaded music was usually the format it is when purchased, if storage isnt a problem i wont bother trying to change formats.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #50 of 147
Quote:

Because it's a huge pain in the butt to convert something to lossy, much less a lot of things to lossy.

That's just nonsense....lol.
Quote:
Simple: it sounds way better, even on an iPod, and yes, with good headphones. The difference is well worth it.

And so is that.....
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #51 of 147
Quote:

How large is your music collection?

Well the size of the music collection is not relevant, I don't think.

When I sync iTunes with my iPod Touch then only the newly added material gets sync'd.

Usually that is 1 CD if anything and it does not take very long.

So, I don't think there is any time related problem with having the material on the iPod Touch compressed.

Anyone using iTunes should realise that it can be set such that it has lossless files on the main computer but sync compressed files on an iPod or iPhone.

There is no significant disadvantage for time taken for syncing.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #52 of 147
Quote:
Do what I did and start over. Granted, my collection wasn't as large, about 7, 000 or so songs, but it was WELL worth the time and effort. I pressed DELETE on the entire thing (all 256 to 320 Kbps) and rebuilt a new library in Apple Lossless. Very glad I did, although now 90% of my listening is with vinyl... lol. But I still appreciate the lossless quality for my portable listening.

Im slowly doing that but when you have close to 200gb, it takes a lot of time.

and i tend to download all my music.  starting to use google music a lot more but i do have to sue "other sources" for flac

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #54 of 147
I use iTunes to download some music that I don't have on Cd, otherwise I convert my Cd's to ALAC.
I see what you are saying about people who use iTunes from your photo above, but can you tell me where else I can find the selection of music that iTunes has (or even close) to download from? Thanks.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #56 of 147
I have no problem with Itunes

I've downloaded a few songs from there when I felt like buying an album. 

But I just wanted to use a metaphor for the majority of internet users when disscussing Piracy vs Buying

Edit: Youtube downloads, YOURE ON HEAD-FI, do I need to use another metaphor?

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #57 of 147
Mar 21, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #58 of 147
Quote:
My face when this whole thread uses itunes

Well if you use an iPod or iPhone it's simpler to stick with iTunes. Foobar 2000 is great but if I want to download some music and sync it to my phone in five minutes before I go to work then I have to use iTunes. The result is that iTunes has my full music collection while Foobar is sometimes a bit behind. 

On topic: I use Spotify premium or download (legally) my music. I also work at a library with a massive cd collection so I often borrow cds for a day and burn them to my computer.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #60 of 147
Pretty much like my headphones, I nowadays tend to buy my music only after listening to it first. Spotify Premium has been a real savior with this. Because of it I've ended up buying a lot more stuff compared to earlier. If I do like the stuff, it's usually CD ordering time. If I can't find it on a CD for a reasonable price, iTunes is usually the second choice.

P.S. Isn't there a music subforum? :)

This what I do too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back