Where do you get your music?
Mar 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #31 of 147
Quote:

Thats fair enough. But I know plenty of people who sacrifice space for lossless storage, when its really unnecessary for the likes of Ipod soundcards.

Not to mention that it runs the battery down quicker as well.

well i dont have space issues and with lossless i can take it with me and grab it off the player to use on another machine if i wanted to.
so it serves plenty of purposes for me.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #32 of 147
Quote:

well i dont have space issues and with lossless i can take it with me and grab it off the player to use on another machine if i wanted to.
so it serves plenty of purposes for me.

Like I said, thats fair enough.
wink.gif

I wasn't having a go at you and I suppose it does serve that purpose well.

But for a lot of people, they're just wasting space by thinking they're getting better out of their Ipods, when they're not.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #33 of 147
Quote:
Do what I did and start over. Granted, my collection wasn't as large, about 7, 000 or so songs, but it was WELL worth the time and effort. I pressed DELETE on the entire thing (all 256 to 320 Kbps) and rebuilt a new library in Apple Lossless. Very glad I did, although now 90% of my listening is with vinyl... lol. But I still appreciate the lossless quality for my portable listening.

Hi, I don't understand what you did here, you deleted all of your 256/320kbps, how did you rebuild in ALAC?
Did you rip from Cd's, or did you download in FLAC and then convert to ALAC?
Thank you.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #34 of 147
Pretty much like my headphones, I nowadays tend to buy my music only after listening to it first. Spotify Premium has been a real savior with this. Because of it I've ended up buying a lot more stuff compared to earlier. If I do like the stuff, it's usually CD ordering time. If I can't find it on a CD for a reasonable price, iTunes is usually the second choice.

P.S. Isn't there a music subforum? :)

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #37 of 147
I personally buy CDs that I import to iTunes in ALAC.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #38 of 147
Quote:

Don't see how it's a pain personally.

Lossy encoding is nowhere near as slow as it used to be.

I'd say it probably takes longer to convert to level 8 FLAC than it does to V0 MP3.

It's certainly not easier than dragging and dropping my FLAC onto my media device.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #39 of 147
Quote:

I'd put the "limitations" down to the way that most CD's are mastered these days.

Technically, a CD can sound as good as any analog medium to the human ear, but poor mastering prevents CD's from performing anywhere near their full potential.

I understand and agree with your point as I've heard way too many poorly mastered CDs, but it's unrelated to what NightFlight said about CD's having a fidelity limitation - suggesting the medium itself is flawed.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #40 of 147
Quote:
Why do people use lossless for portible use?

Unless of course they're using $1000 portible DAC's and extremely high-end headphones on the go.

The only real drawback is storage size and file up/down-load (transfer) times.  If you can afford the time and space, theres no reason to compress.

I prefer to buy and rip CDs.

Sometimes I use audacity and record lossy-audio mp3 off youtube.  I demo a lot of tunes / albums this way.  Its basically todays version of recording to tape off a radio broadcast.  

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #41 of 147
I'm surprised only one other person uses band camp. It's a great way to support your fave artists and you can download flac, alac even mp3. And the prices are fair and the money does not go to the RAIA and DRM lawsuits.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #42 of 147
Why do people use lossless for portible use?

Unless of course they're using $1000 portible DAC's and extremely high-end headphones on the go.

Simple: it sounds way better, even on an iPod, and yes, with good headphones. The difference is well worth it.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #43 of 147
i mainly download it in FLAC and then convert it to ALAC :wink:

PS: is really no difference between ALAC and 256 MP3 on an iphone 4s with for example a pair of sennheiser momentum? no DAC/AMP.

thanks !

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #45 of 147

Users who are viewing this thread

Back