Where do you get your music?
Mar 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #17 of 147
Occasionally from week to week.. Amazon will have tremendous deals for classical lovers. Talking 100-400 song albums for $0.99 USD.

Last week was a bookful of Bach I think? .. And often give out free trance/electronic albums as well (Steve Aoki most recently)

Granted, not all the music is of the best taste/quality.. but.. free is free.

I use to rip CD's and convert them into compressed 192s (I figure, hey, let's save some space).. thanks to this forum, I want to kick myself in the teeth cause nearly half my 10,000 song collection on my computer are lossy files =(

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #19 of 147
I use to rip CD's and convert them into compressed 192s (I figure, hey, let's save some space).. thanks to this forum, I want to kick myself in the teeth cause nearly half my 10,000 song collection on my computer are lossy files =(

Do what I did and start over. Granted, my collection wasn't as large, about 7, 000 or so songs, but it was WELL worth the time and effort. I pressed DELETE on the entire thing (all 256 to 320 Kbps) and rebuilt a new library in Apple Lossless. Very glad I did, although now 90% of my listening is with vinyl... lol. But I still appreciate the lossless quality for my portable listening.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #21 of 147
1,000 CDs finally converted to ALAC. Ripped them all a couple of years ago @ 192K (ignorance is bliss). Spent a couple of weeks in January reripping them. 200 LPs converted with Audacity. All new CDs are ripped immediately and then put away. CDs are pretty cheap, especially used. I've been picking up quite a few for $4 or less recently.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #22 of 147
Quote:

I always buy recordings, I never use illegal file sharing or any other such means to obtain music.

I do sometime listen to things on YouTube, but I guess that is all legal, I don't really know.

Nearly everything I buy is a CD, in fact I buy from an excellent shop about 10 mins walk from my house.

I sometimes buy second-hand but mostly new.

Nearly everything I buy is classical music. Classical music performers work immensely hard to create the recordings and I believe they should be paid for their work.

I used to play my CDs mostly on my rather excellent CD player, but I'm now transitioning to using my computer more and more. All new CDs go onto my computer immediately and I am slowly putting my old ones onto it.

CDs seem to cost about the same as the downloadable versions of the recordings, so I think, why not have the CD and a nice paper booklet with a lot of info about the composer and the musicians.

The CD has its limitations in fidelity. However it has more permanence than a file store. Unless you burn the files. Then again, I now have 20yr old burned discs that have failed on me. Wow. 20 years... where did the time go?

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #23 of 147
Quote:
Do what I did and start over. Granted, my collection wasn't as large, about 7, 000 or so songs, but it was WELL worth the time and effort. I pressed DELETE on the entire thing (all 256 to 320 Kbps) and rebuilt a new library in Apple Lossless. Very glad I did, although now 90% of my listening is with vinyl... lol. But I still appreciate the lossless quality for my portable listening.

guh. Mines still sitting there. Unused.. same thing. About 100gb sitting on a share. *sigh*. Might as well hit delete. On the brighter side I've been collecting FLAC and a 2TB 2.5" WD external drive was a mere $138 CAN at Costco.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #24 of 147
Quote:
The CD has its limitations in fidelity.

What limitations in fedelity are you talking about? CD audio is at the equivalent of 1411Kbps and is totally uncompressed and lossless. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #25 of 147
Quote:
What limitations in fedelity are you talking about? CD audio is at the equivalent of 1411Kbps and is totally uncompressed and lossless. 

I'd put the "limitations" down to the way that most CD's are mastered these days.

Technically, a CD can sound as good as any analog medium to the human ear, but poor mastering prevents CD's from performing anywhere near their full potential.

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #27 of 147
Quote:

Ah man.. most of my cd's are either scrapped, gifted/given away, or scratched beyond repair now.

Ignorance truly is bliss. I think I'm just going to stay ignorant. And maybe buy one more headphone.. then move on to a diff format (speakers) O_O Wifey doesn't support the headphone hobby but I can manipulate my speaker purchases in the future saying it's for her to enjoy Karaoke-ing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back