Where do you get to really know an album?
Jun 16, 2007 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NightWoundsTime

A nice hunk of young man
As the title says, I'm wondering where others around here come to intimately know an album. You know, that point where you anticipate every note and know every word, that point of pure comfort with the music.

I know I find it hard with the wealth of music I have available to make myself really get to that point with a piece of music. So, personally I end up really soaking in an album when it goes into my car, because it's likely to stay there for a while. I don't even put that many miles on the car but because it's always there it absorbs. Then, when I bring it back to the headphones I'm much more involved than I would otherwise be. The sense of euphoria is usually my goal when I'm at the main rig, and nothing brings that better than finding new details and being completely surrounded by familiar music. Kind of like looking at a picture of a painting for a while and then getting to see the real thing.

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 16
There's an equal amount of 'aha!' moments from me (when the music clicks and catches something catches me at the right moment in time) both in my car on the stereo system and my headphone setup. However, I opted for at home on headphones as my driving time is much much less these days.

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 16
Defiantly on the go with my portable rig. I find that I can usually link the album with a moment or a place and that's when it clicks for me. An album isn't complete for me unless it has a place connected to it. A scene in my mind, so that when I close my eyes that image and the music fills my head. The last thing I'd ever want is to associate an album with my home. IMO music is meant to a soundtrack to your life and not prisoner behind walls. Music and motion.

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 16
The third time you buy it.
eek.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Defiantly on the go with my portable rig. I find that I can usually link the album with a moment or a place and that's when it clicks for me. An album isn't complete for me unless it has a place connected to it. A scene in my mind, so that when I close my eyes that image and the music fills my head. The last thing I'd ever want is to associate an album with my home. IMO music is meant to a soundtrack to your life and not prisoner behind walls. Music and motion.

I'd agree with that, despite never feeling like a prisoner in my home. There are so many albums though that are connected to places like driving down a highway, or walking through a busy downtown district with the portable rig, that I know exactly what you're saying. The home headphone rig is winning it but I find I get really ADD sitting at home just looking for that moment to hit, and it usually hits with something very familiar.

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 16
The home headphone rig. There are moments when I'm just walking around, or working, when tunes can go right through my head... I blame it on the years of headphone listening. I think you can become much closer to the music through careful listening on a headphone system, since you're not doing the laundry or making food, etc. while music plays in the background... not counting actual musicians, of course.

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 16
I get to know the album in the car. Honestly something about the road just clears the mind and soul for music.

then I take it home and just fall in love with it.

(car rides the date, the speakers at home are the sex)

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #15 of 16
On long drives. For whatever reason, music sinks in during a trip. Then I'll peel back the layers of sonic nuance with a good pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back