where do my headphones plug in to my A2 ZS soundcard?
Dec 26, 2005 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

j0j081

Head-Fier
I know this is kinda idiotic but there doesn't seem to be any indication of which line out is used for headphones. Right now my Audigy 2 ZS is connected to my 5.1 Logitechs but I'm trying to figure out which lineout to remove to plug in my new hd555s.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by j0j081
I know this is kinda idiotic but there doesn't seem to be any indication of which line out is used for headphones. Right now my Audigy 2 ZS is connected to my 5.1 Logitechs but I'm trying to figure out which lineout to remove to plug in my new hd555s.

If memory serves (it's been a while since I had a 2Zs) the green plug connects to the front left and right channel. The Audigy has no formal "line out" and I think that's as close as it gets. Whatever you do, don't use "headphone mode" on that soundcard though. It really messes up the sound. Use a "2.1" or "2.0" configuration for the best sound. That way, the soundcard will send just basic stereo to the headphones.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
If memory serves (it's been a while since I had a 2Zs) the green plug connects to the front left and right channel. The Audigy has no formal "line out" and I think that's as close as it gets. Whatever you do, don't use "headphone mode" on that soundcard though. It really messes up the sound. Use a "2.1" or "2.0" configuration for the best sound. That way, the soundcard will send just basic stereo to the headphones.

headphone mode on the Audigy 2 ZS messes up the sound
confused.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 19
Yes, it does something funky with the sound to try and make it seem like you're sitting near speakers, without headphones on. I can't precisely explain it, but it sounds terrible. It distorts the sound horribly.

EDIT: Actually, in general, the Audigy is a pretty poor source. Somene told me this when I first came here, and I didn't believe them until I heard the difference for myself. I use an EMU 0404 card now, and it sounds really nice.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 19
Well, I've been using a cheap pair of headphones with it for quite some time now and I've found that if I leave the Windows sound control on 5.1, but set the ZS to headphones it sounds pretty good. Usually the ZS automatically changes the Windows mode to match it but I disabled that option. So would it be better to hook my hd555s through the speakers then as I have my old ones?

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 19
I have been plugging my headphones into my Logitech Z-680's headphones jack but lately it has been distorting, so now I am thinking of splitting the audio on the back and running a plug up to my desktop so I can plug and unplug my headphones without reaching behind my comp and unplugging my speakers.

Dec 26, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 19
i used to plug my headphone into the jack on the logitec but i find plugging it directly to the front LR plug on the audigy 2 zs a LOT better.

Dec 26, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 19
Yes, plug into the green............Audigy or Soundblaster and not good for music. Think of them as gamecards only. I positively hate getting music out of those cards.

Dec 26, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #10 of 19
To this day, and since I had my first PC in 2001, I will never listen to my headphones, out of an Audigy sound card. Eventually, I will get a higher end sound card, that is bit perfect, and running into a good DAC/Amp combo.

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Yes, it does something funky with the sound to try and make it seem like you're sitting near speakers, without headphones on. I can't precisely explain it, but it sounds terrible. It distorts the sound horribly.

It's not the headphone mode, the problem is cmss-mode.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons
i used to plug my headphone into the jack on the logitec but i find plugging it directly to the front LR plug on the audigy 2 zs a LOT better.

hmm, my experience, with klipsch promedias, is a bit different. the klipsch has built in amp for the headphone out, so i get decent sound out of that compared to straight from my card. i guess logitechs are different?

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 19
When using a pair of quality headphones, is it best to tell a sound card that you are using a standard stereo loudspeaker (2.0) system?

I'm suspicious of headphone modes messing with the sound to try and combat the inadequacies of common crappy headphones. After all, why should a stereo signal need to differ between loudspeakers and headphones just because a computer is the source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back