Where do I go from the AKG K240 Studio?
Mar 6, 2012 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bactericidal

New Head-Fier

I'm new to this, as you can see. I adore my AKG K240 studio, which I use un-amped out of my iPhone 4, but there are things I hope could be improved. I want a bigger soundstage, and most importantly, more comfort - the AKG is a bit clamping. I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD598 (which I understand has less bass than the AKG, but maybe this would be fixed with a USB DAC/amp that I will definitely buy). The other consideration is BeyerDynamic DT990, but I don't know whether to get the 32 ohm, 250 ohm, or 600 ohm model, or the premium or pro model. I'm concerned that the heavy bass of the DT990 will cause fatigue; the AKG doesn't, which I love. As far as how I plan to use the headphones, they will go with my laptop which in turn will be equipped with a USB DAC/amp (which I have yet to buy).

I would love you hear your thoughts (and please tell me if you have other recommendations). 

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 13

Quote:

I'm new to this, as you can see. I adore my AKG K240 studio, which I use un-amped out of my iPhone 4, but there are things I hope could be improved. I want a bigger soundstage, and most importantly, more comfort - the AKG is a bit clamping. I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD598 (which I understand has less bass than the AKG, but maybe this would be fixed with a USB DAC/amp that I will definitely buy). The other consideration is BeyerDynamic DT990, but I don't know whether to get the 32 ohm, 250 ohm, or 600 ohm model, or the premium or pro model. I'm concerned that the heavy bass of the DT990 will cause fatigue; the AKG doesn't, which I love. As far as how I plan to use the headphones, they will go with my laptop which in turn will be equipped with a USB DAC/amp (which I have yet to buy).

I would love you hear your thoughts (and please tell me if you have other recommendations). 

Thanks!

Heya,

Maybe:

Q701
HD600
DT880
HE-400
AD900

Very best,

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 13
The other consideration is BeyerDynamic DT990, but I don't know whether to get the 32 ohm, 250 ohm, or 600 ohm model, or the premium or pro model.
g.gif

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 13
Another option is the k601....might be closer in sound signature to the 240 than some of the others mentioned, but more clear and detailed with better sound stage. Haven't heard them myself, but some ears I respect tell me they're probably a big upgrade. I can also recommend the hd600/580....big upgrade from the 240... but since you love the AKG sound, as I do myself, maybe you should stay with an AKG.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks... you guys are awesome. I was thinking really hard about the K701/702 but I read that the dimples on the headband can cause pain. Any thoughts on this? After I lived and suffered with Shure SRH440 for a month, I've learned to appreciate comfort above pretty much anything else. It doesn't matter how good they sound if they hurt.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 13
At my peak I used the K702s for maybe 2 hours at a time and have never experience pain or discomfort. Usually after a few minutes, you forget they're there. Make sure you get the K702, the detachable cable is a precious resource (not that you need to upgrade or the cable breaks easily, it's just always nice to be able to replace a broken cable).

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 13
If you like the K240 don't look into the K701.
While the K701 offers a great soundstage and speration, it lacks body and bass. (quantity, not quality).
Also... there are "issues" with the headband.

I recommend buying a DAC + AMP or even a DAP first and keep listening to your K240s, which are great headphones. To cure your comfort issues, just bend the metal parts of your K240s. This will lessen the pressure quite a bit. Don't hesitate, they are quite sturdy.
If you still feel like you are missing out, consider some HD580/600/650 which are great cans that compared to most modern headphones (DT880/K701 included) don't suffer from the trend of upper and lower treble spikes.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:
Another option is the k601....might be closer in sound signature to the 240 than some of the others mentioned, but more clear and detailed with better sound stage. Haven't heard them myself, but some ears I respect tell me they're probably a big upgrade. I can also recommend the hd600/580....big upgrade from the 240... but since you love the AKG sound, as I do myself, maybe you should stay with an AKG.

I have the 240S and recently got the K601's and can say they do have the magic AKG midrange like the 240's but are better in every way and are clearly on another level.  I only have a Fiio E9/7 to use with them and they power them well enough as in I only have to have the E9 no more than 12.30 on the volume knob.  I'm sure they would benefit from something better though. I don't really have a need for my 240's now though I still like them.  Maybe one of the vintage AKG models are worth looking into?  The original K141 are really nice.  Not in a hifi kind of way and not like the 240S but they just sound nice and just have something the modern version doesn't.  Nice enough to make me want to find a K240 Sextett anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back