Where do I go from here?
Aug 8, 2009 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nigel79

100+ Head-Fier
Se530's where my first IEM and I am not very impressed for $270. My second purchase was my Audio-Technica ESW9's which ruined them even more. $219 shipped. A way better value IMO. (Apples and oranges I know) Im wondering which IEMs to try next? I really listen to House music the most and I like clear crisp highs and Low punchy accurate bass. ( Im kinda a bass head but I enjoy all kinds of music ) Im wondering where the heck I want to go next for over the ear headphones as well? I love the ESW9's and was impressed immediately. Maybe I should have started buying on the lower end of the spectrum first? Trial and error gets very expensive as im sure everybody here is aware. ( as well as my girlfriend LOL )
L3000.gif
She was pissed when i told her my se530's were $150 and I won my ESW9's on ebay for $51. What she doesnt know wont hurt her....Right?

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trial and error gets very expensive as im sure everybody here is aware. ( as well as my girlfriend LOL )
L3000.gif
She was pissed when i told her my se530's were $150 and I won my ESW9's on ebay for $51. What she doesnt know wont hurt her....Right?

there are women here on the forums . . . .

and this will get back to her, we have a network
tongue.gif

now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 8
if you listen to alot of trance and house stuff like me,the ie8 wont dissapoint you but for me the jvc fx500 are even better.

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 8
Funny, I have and love the SE530's, and I have and really love the ESW10's. From what I've read, the ESW9's and 10's have a similar sound, so it should be a close (ish) comparison? I don't listen to much trance though. I'm a rock/acoustic/classical guy.

If you are a bass-head, (even sort of) and like forward treble, I might recommend the Ultrasone HFI 780. There is a caveat here - they are a schizophrenic headphone. Stock and new, boomy bass and brittle highs. Stock and burned in for a ridiculously long time (the 400 hours batted around here is actually pretty accurate) they are much more even - BIG bass, forward but not brittle highs. There are mods out there (I've detailed a few, but I just copied work done by others) that keep the base, tame the highs (to a point - still quite forward) and really change the character of the headphone. They can be had used for a pretty reasonable price as well. Worth considering at least. Have fun!

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Se530's where my first IEM and I am not very impressed for $270. My second purchase was my Audio-Technica ESW9's which ruined them even more. $219 shipped. A way better value IMO. (Apples and oranges I know) Im wondering which IEMs to try next? I really listen to House music the most and I like clear crisp highs and Low punchy accurate bass. ( Im kinda a bass head but I enjoy all kinds of music ) Im wondering where the heck I want to go next for over the ear headphones as well? I love the ESW9's and was impressed immediately. Maybe I should have started buying on the lower end of the spectrum first? Trial and error gets very expensive as im sure everybody here is aware. ( as well as my girlfriend LOL )
L3000.gif

Lol yes trial and error does get pretty expensive I must say, and with a girlfriend, sheeesh... Look at my sig, I haven't held onto any of my previous headphones, i went through a lot of trial and am now getting the JH5 Pro's (custom 2 driver), so hopefully those will work out for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 8
The great thing about this hobby is that there isn't much depreciation - considering you take good care of your toys.

This makes trial and error easy. The way I see it, I'm not spending $200 for earphones... I'm paying $200 to borrow them, it's more like a refundable deposit because if I'm not satisfied and wanted to sell them, I'd get close to my $200 back, sans shipping of course.

Anyway, try the W3's, you'll be much happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back