Where do I go from here? I already have a huge collection. Feeling lost.
May 12, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #16 of 32
To be honest, at one point I did consider buying one of the Denon or Emu Teak headphones. After searching some more I just decided on buying the Fostex TH900 MK2.
Personal preference, of course. After I bought the D7200, I sold the TH900. The highs were too much and I found them sibilant, though 610 pads made them better for me.

May 12, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #18 of 32
Personal preference, of course. After I bought the D7200, I sold the TH900. The highs were too much and I found them sibilant, though 610 pads made them better for me.
Oh the highs on the TH900 are absolutely killing my ears, but I decided to change to the ZMF Ori pads which thank god actually tamed the highs and brought the mids forward a bit. So now I'm all good with it.

May 12, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #19 of 32
I agree with a few of the posters here that a new amp should be your priority. You have a fairly diverse collection of HPs already and a new amp will improve all of them. I can't speak for some of your headphones, but for the Aeolus, the THX is doing that headphone no justice.

One tube amp that I keep hearing other ZMF owners rave about and has a relatively small footprint is the Icon Audio HP8. For solid state I'd recommend something from Violectric, whose amps tend to the warmer side of things depending upon which one you choose. I have the v550 pro, which is the most neutral sounding within the Violectric brand and even that has a warm-ish tilt and has enough juice to drive two ZMF headphones at the same time without breaking a sweat.

May 12, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #21 of 32
I agree with a few of the posters here that a new amp should be your priority. You have a fairly diverse collection of HPs already and a new amp will improve all of them. I can't speak for some of your headphones, but for the Aeolus, the THX is doing that headphone no justice.

One tube amp that I keep hearing other ZMF owners rave about and has a relatively small footprint is the Icon Audio HP8. For solid state I'd recommend something from Violectric, whose amps tend to the warmer side of things depending upon which one you choose. I have the v550 pro, which is the most neutral sounding within the Violectric brand and even that has a warm-ish tilt and has enough juice to drive two ZMF headphones at the same time without breaking a sweat.
@Monsterzero you were actually the person who inspired me to get the VCs... And I love them. Thank you for that. Are you now inspiring me to get an Icon Audio HP8?

:beerchug:

May 12, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 32
@Monsterzero you were actually the person who inspired me to get the VCs... And I love them. Thank you for that. Are you now inspiring me to get an Icon Audio HP8?

:beerchug:
Truth be told I've not heard the HP8 myself, however @Pharmaboy has one and loves it and I respect his opinion.

May 13, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #23 of 32

Thank you for the recommendations. @Shane D in this thread had also recommended the Violectric and some other tube amp recommendations which are more economical like the Schiit Valhalla 2 or Little Dot MK9.

Do you have any other recommendations for something slightly cheaper than what you mentioned and still has a good small form factor? For both tube and solid state amp. Just for an in-case scenario. Also, do I need to change my DAC or is should I just focus on changing my AMPs now.

My main concern with the size is just because I am always travelling between Singapore and UK since I am studying at University right now here in the UK. So I gotta make sure it can fit on my study table.

I will still consider the Icon Audio HP8, it is a ridiculously good size for a tube amp in comparison to what I've seen in the audiophile stores. I just need to see how much money I got after selling some of my headphones.

May 13, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #25 of 32
I'm just sort of lost in where to direct this hobby of mine. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE listening to music, I still love using these headphones whenever I have the chance. but, I kinda want to try something new that would 'WOW' me.

AKG K1000.

Or just try something entirely new: speakers.

May 13, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #26 of 32
Also, do I need to change my DAC or is should I just focus on changing my AMPs now.
Personally I'd change only one component at a time, see where you stand and then adjust accordingly. I'm not sure what DAC you have but if it's more warmth you seek then a R2R DAC might be in order.
Do you have any other recommendations for something slightly cheaper than what you mentioned and still has a good small form factor?
You can look into something from Lake People, which is the same company as Violectric, just their more economically friendly offerings. I've not heard any Lake People amps, but from what I have read they share the same house sound as Violectric.

Also since you're in SE Asia you might consider Audio GD gear, but again some of their stuff is not exactly small.

As far as tube amps, I guess there is always Schiit gear, though I'm not much of a fan of their stuff.

I used to own the La Figaro 339, but that might be too large of an amp and would not have the versatility that the HP8 offers and would pretty much only sound good with high impedance headphones. Same can be said for the Bottlehead Crack.

May 13, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #27 of 32
Everyone is different, but for me it was starting off in entry level and it took me years to find the sound/sounds that I like. I got into this hobby seriously near the end of 2014. Since then I have sold 32 or 33 headphones and currently sit at around 8 or 9.

I loved the thrill of buying and trying a new headphone. But then in the weeks and months to follow I realized that I didn't like that headphone or the next. It was endless!

Then in 2018 I bought the most expensive headphone ever, up to that time, the Grado GH2's. Still love them. And then I bought the Focal Elex's. Top two for years. Elex's only left to make room for Clear's.

Still buying and selling like crazy, but then I found the HiFiman HE6se V2's. With the right amp, Amazing!
Then it was the iBasso SR2's and the CFA Cascades.

It took years and thousands of dollars to find out what I like. Now the secret, for me, is keep a sizeable collection and rotate.
I just spent two weeks with the Clear's and one week with my new HD660S2's. I have enjoyed myself immensely but I am dying to use my SR2's and HE6se V2's. By the time I get around to them it is like getting a new headphone every time. :smile:

But it took me years to find out what I loved, sound wise.

May 13, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #29 of 32
Personally I'd change only one component at a time, see where you stand and then adjust accordingly. I'm not sure what DAC you have but if it's more warmth you seek then a R2R DAC might be in order.

You can look into something from Lake People, which is the same company as Violectric, just their more economically friendly offerings. I've not heard any Lake People amps, but from what I have read they share the same house sound as Violectric.

Also since you're in SE Asia you might consider Audio GD gear, but again some of their stuff is not exactly small.

As far as tube amps, I guess there is always Schiit gear, though I'm not much of a fan of their stuff.

I used to own the La Figaro 339, but that might be too large of an amp and would not have the versatility that the HP8 offers and would pretty much only sound good with high impedance headphones. Same can be said for the Bottlehead Crack.

I have an SMSL SU-8.

Not surprised the majority of tube amps are hella huge. Sounds like my best bet is the HP8, I am definitely intrigued by it.

May 13, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #30 of 32
Everyone is different, but for me it was starting off in entry level and it took me years to find the sound/sounds that I like. I got into this hobby seriously near the end of 2014. Since then I have sold 32 or 33 headphones and currently sit at around 8 or 9.

I loved the thrill of buying and trying a new headphone. But then in the weeks and months to follow I realized that I didn't like that headphone or the next. It was endless!

Then in 2018 I bought the most expensive headphone ever, up to that time, the Grado GH2's. Still love them. And then I bought the Focal Elex's. Top two for years. Elex's only left to make room for Clear's.

Still buying and selling like crazy, but then I found the HiFiman HE6se V2's. With the right amp, Amazing!
Then it was the iBasso SR2's and the CFA Cascades.

It took years and thousands of dollars to find out what I like. Now the secret, for me, is keep a sizeable collection and rotate.
I just spent two weeks with the Clear's and one week with my new HD660S2's. I have enjoyed myself immensely but I am dying to use my SR2's and HE6se V2's. By the time I get around to them it is like getting a new headphone every time. :smile:

But it took me years to find out what I loved, sound wise.
I think I have an idea of what my preferred sound is, but I just gotta try out some other headphones that I've been recommended in this thread.

The main important thing that has been brought to my attention is that I need to upgrade my tube and solid state amps, this will definitely make a difference in my current and future headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back