Where Did Your Economic Stimulus Get Spent?
May 20, 2008 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

mstorie

100+ Head-Fier
Surely some folks around here were able to spend some of that $$$ on some headfi gear!!! I ended up paying some unexpected bills my insurance didn't cover... Maybe I can live vicariously through some others around here.

May 20, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 61
I bought my wife a treadmill so she can continue her rehab at home. Mine will most likely be spent on a mini laptop.

May 20, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 61
Not everyone got a stimulus check. Not terribly fair, considering how much they take. If I got one, though, I would have dropped it on the car note.

May 20, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 61
Economic Stimulus?
No idea what we talk about here...

May 20, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 61
I did not get one either. I guess I must be rich. They must be kidding, right????

May 20, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Economic Stimulus?
No idea what we talk about here...

Stateside (U.S.)... the Federal Government is sending checks to most taxpayers in hopes that the money would stimulate spending within the US for goods and services... i.e. to stimulate domestic spending.

May 20, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 61
Well the goal of the stimulus was that Americans would buy hopefully American made products, and stimulate the economy as a domino effect. So buy American made Headphones?

But it can also be argued that saving, and stabilizing the loan/credit world. Since banks would be able to make money back by investing your money. Then being able to recuperate their losses when the sub-prime market crashed. I'm not taking econ or anything, it's just what I thought the Stimulus Package was for.

I think if i do get it I'll use it on food. The price of food in Hawaii is just silly. A can of spam here costs $2-3, I swear Hawaii alone is keeping the SPAM company from going bankrupt.

May 20, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by mstorie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stateside (U.S.)... the Federal Government is sending checks to most taxpayers in hopes that the money would stimulate spending within the US for goods and services... i.e. to stimulate domestic spending.

Thanks for the explanation.
Then it don't apply to me, since I don't live in the US...

May 20, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used it to buy a house

You must live in North Dakota, then
wink.gif

I looked at the range of incomes that get full stimulus checks. It's 75K for single and 150K for couples. After that, they subtract from $600 or $1200 5% of the amount over 75K or 150K that you earn. To be frank, that's complete bull. Most of this stimulus money is coming from the taxes of folks who earn more money, so it seems like it would be fair to give them some money back. When you consider that richer people are more likely to spend the stimulus on something other than bills, which is kind of the point of "stimulus," it makes little sense for the government to give richer people less stimulus. I feel for people who need the stimulus to pay bills, but this whole plan seems like another misguided income redistribution scheme, when it should be about kick-starting the economy.

May 20, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 61
Well, if you didn't get one, you're either rich or it just hasn't come yet. There's a set schedule as to when they are delivered based on the last two digits of your SSN. The exception is if you had your tax refund direct deposited, in which case your refund should already have been deposited as well.

I don't get mine until the middle of next month but I already have it ear marked for a specific receiver and tuner (the combined price of which cost more than the refund). If I do happen to come across a good deal on the items I want, I'll get them before the refund comes.

May 20, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 61
Gift for wife and donated the rest to China quake relief

May 20, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #15 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must live in North Dakota, then
wink.gif

I looked at the range of incomes that get full stimulus checks. It's 75K for single and 150K for couples. After that, they subtract from $600 or $1200 5% of the amount over 75K or 150K that you earn. To be frank, that's complete bull. Most of this stimulus money is coming from the taxes of folks who earn more money, so it seems like it would be fair to give them some money back. When you consider that richer people are more likely to spend the stimulus on something other than bills, which is kind of the point of "stimulus," it makes little sense for the government to give richer people less stimulus. I feel for people who need the stimulus to pay bills, but this whole plan seems like another misguided income redistribution scheme, when it should be about kick-starting the economy.

Uh, I think the tax cut to the rich and this kind of even each other out, but poor families HAVE to spend money to buy food, water, and what not. Not to mention inflation, no not core inflation, which is rampant.

What I don't understand is that to give stimulus to poor families, means that the will spend it, but doesn't that mean, they wont' buy American good? For example if you were to try to stretch a buck, would you buy American made or some item from Wal-mart which I'm sure is produced in another country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back