Where did you learn about DIY Audio/Electronics
Jul 30, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #16 of 24
Jul 30, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
I have only built a SSMH and a CMOY, and I am planning on building a Cavalli EHHA.
You might consider doing that. They aren't that expensive, and it doesn't seem extremely hard.

The beta22 seems like a direct successor of the M^3. I couldn't imagine that the M^3 would be better than the beta22 in any circumstance..

But the EHHA seems different. It does seem like a step down, but also a bit of a side step as well... and so it won't be completely useless later on.

Just a thought.

An EHHA, if built with the right parts and tubes is in no way a step down from a B22 and is a nice step above a M^3 IMHO.  Want more power in the EHHA?  Build it balanced and your power doubles.  Nice part is you can buy it as a kit from Glass Jar Audio. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #18 of 24
I started out with a CMOY, then moved straight up to the M^3 and S11, casing up the whole things myself (1st time I used a drill). It was not something impossibly hard tbh, I only blew several transistor, shorted the whole power line in my house (housemates were freaked out) but apart from that nothing nasty. The only thing that has bugged me till now might be Ti's design. I tried to read as much as I can to get hold of his idea but perhaps I still have a long way to go. But troubleshooting was fun too. Surely I learned a lot after this project. 
I'm 19 btw :wink:

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #19 of 24

I've already built a Starving Student (two, one PCB, one P2P) and the obvious next step would be something like a CKKIII, on to a SOHA or whatever and working my way up. The real issue with this is budget. If I can, I'd like to build a Beta 22 first so I can skip the intermediary steps. I could always sell them I guess, but for some reason I never feel comfortable enough with my handiwork to sell things that I've made.

I think I might pick up the Art of Electronics and There are no Electrons, too bad the new edition of the Art won't be out until 2012 
frown.gif

Well, it sounds like you already have you feet wet. I don't know if you have much interest in tubes, but one of the reasons I love them is because the circuits are much simpler. Audiophile arguments about simple circuits aside, it's much easier to grasp what's going on inside.

For an English major, it really hepled me get an understanding of what's happening inside without the complexity of solid state. Also, it's a lot easier to scrounge parts for tube gear. I don't know if you have any electronics surplus/junk stores nearby, but you can often get the iron and other parts for considerably less than buying new. You can often find old instruments and other junk with cases that you can repurpose. This all helps keep things under budget.

You've had a lot of texts thrown at you, but one that I found very helpful was the Boozhound Labs writeup on developing a tube amp. It cuts through a lot of the jargon and gives you a step-by-step explanation. And it's free, so you should really read it through.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #20 of 24
My dad pretty much taught me this last year. I enjoy DIY.

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #22 of 24
MisterX,
Wave Guide? I made that stuff for ITT, Varian, Raytheon and some special stuff for E Systems
Good to see someone put it to used and lived :)

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #23 of 24
I've been in electronics since 1978 (computer field service, to 1988). I actually learned to build when I became an Engineering Technician, since prototyping is large part of my job. I mostly do RF stuff, anywhere from 1MHz to 2 GHz, but I also do a lot of regular analog circuits as well.

I have a copy of The Art of Electronics at my desk, and I refer to it quite often. Lots of practical tips for building, things that you don't find in regular textbooks. Highly recommended.

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #24 of 24
BeerGuy,
I never knew a lot of the time what I was making since it was a prototype and not till after it was in production was we given a award of something did we know what we made...

I remember this one job was a 30ghz filter silver plated aluminum can that be to a ray gun :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back