Where did you go to college?
Sep 13, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #121 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpburton5150
*DREAM*

(We have a long ling of PhDs and Proffs and a Nobel Prize Winner in the family </brag>)

Sorry, I couldn't resist:

I'm the 10th generation in a row to attend this university (on my father's side, 3rd on my mother's)
eggosmile.gif
(the EGO smiley!)

/JF

Sep 13, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #122 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei
By the way, it is interesting that people in this forum seem very educated.

Hahah, yes, well, we all do seem to be educated but in practice...

Quote:

Now if UIUC would ever put out their application.

Applications will be accepted starting the 15th, so two more days. Get in before the preferential date of November 15th if possible. One of my buddies is doing your dream. He got a good fellowship with Stanford to do his graduate work. So he got his BS here and the lil traitor is going to get his MS and PhD out at Stanford.

Sep 13, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #123 of 208
I'm a sophomore at Georgia Tech majoring in civil engineering. Our campus is definitely urban, but it's been a nice change considering I grew up in the middle of nowhere. There's always WAY too much construction going on, though.

Sep 13, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #124 of 208
Undergrad-- University Of California San Diego

Masters-- San Diego State

God I miss San Diego!
frown.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #126 of 208
B.S. - Philosophy - University of California, Irvine
B.S. - Law & Criminology - University of California, Irvine
J.D. - Whittier Law School

M.S. - Headphonology - Head-fi University
Ph. D., magna cum laude - Negative Pocketbook Expenditures - Head-fi University
rolleyes.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #127 of 208
I know SunByrne in RL, and he really is that smart.

I made my own run at over-educated:
A.B., Brown University, Art History, Urban Studies
M.Arch., Harvard University Graduate School of Design

I also spent a year at Columbia, and a year at the University of Helsinki as Fulbright scholar. Didn't meet Linus Torvald, though -- that sure would helped out my geek cred.
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm now doomed to fifty years of Continuing Education to maintain my architecture licenses. E.g., I took a course last spring on drywall. It was (wait for it) kinda dry.

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #129 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
The only cool mascot i ever had were the Fordham Rams. Now that's a team.
Far better than the Oberlin Yeomen (yeo-what?) or the worst-

The University of Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens! Our mascot, a big blue fightin' chicken, is so ridiculous, that it's a perennial mascot on those college gameday promos on ESPN, right there with the Syracuse Orangemen lol.

Here at UC, Irvine, we are Anteaters. (Go 'eaters!). But the best I've heard is the UCSC Banana Slugs (no joke!).

Sep 14, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #130 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by timo_nyc
I know SunByrne in RL, and he really is that smart.

Not hardly--I'm just too pigheaded to know when to quit.
confused.gif

Quote:

I'm now doomed to fifty years of Continuing Education to maintain my architecture licenses. E.g., I took a course last spring on drywall. It was (wait for it) kinda dry.

Ouch. And... ouch.
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #132 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
But the best I've heard is the UCSC Banana Slugs (no joke!).

That's a good one! My favorite for college football is the Western Illinois University Leathernecks! It doesn't work so well with their women's softball team, but nothing is perfect. The mascot looks a little like a pug, but yellow and purple.

Sep 14, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #133 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
I got my BA from UMass Amherst, MAT from Tufts.

The Tufts mascot is an elephant- name of the sports teams: The Jumbos! I kid you not.
rolleyes.gif

Heh, Go Jumbos! Thank you PT Barnum!
tongue.gif

May 2003, B.S. Physics, Tufts University

Sep 14, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #134 of 208
Bah!

Essex County College -- Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts 2002 3.67 GPA
Montclair State University -- Bachelor's of Arts in English Creative Writing 2004 3.15 GPA
GRE: 570/800 Verbal, 470/800 Math, ?/? Analytical Writing

graduate programs for fall 2006:

Syracuse University MFA
Hunter college MFA @ CUNY
Brooklyn college MFA @ CUNY
NYU MFA Creative Writing
Cornell MFA Creative Writing
Columbia MFA Creative Writing
Rutgers MA Creative Writing
Rowan University MA Creative Writing
Sarah Lawrence College MFA Creative Writing
Manhattanville College MA Creative Writing
The New School MFA Creative Writing

I've decided to just let God pick the right graduate program for me in the next several months. Why go crazy when I already know that the high competition is fierce and ferocious? I got to compile a list of requirements that all of these hard ass schools want from me today: gre scores, manuscript requirements, letters of recommendation, undergraduate transcripts, etc. Maybe I'll get into at least one school for fall 2006. Who knows?
confused.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #135 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Bah!

Essex County College -- Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts 2002 3.67 GPA
Montclair State University -- Bachelor's of Arts in English Creative Writing 2004 3.15 GPA
GRE: 570/800 Verbal, 470/800 Math, ?/? Analytical Writing

graduate programs for fall 2006:

NYU MFA Creative Writing
Cornell MFA Creative Writing
Columbia MFA Creative Writing
Rutgers MA Creative Writing
Rowan University MA Creative Writing
Sarah Lawrence College MFA Creative Writing
Manhattanville College MA Creative Writing
The New School MFA Creative Writing

I've decided to just let God pick the right graduate program for me in the next several months. Why go crazy when I already know that the high competition is fierce and ferocious? I got to compile a list of requirements that all of these hard ass schools want from me today: gre scores, manuscript requirements, letters of recommendation, undergraduate transcripts, etc. Maybe I'll get into at least one school for fall 2006. Who knows?
confused.gif

For some reason I always thought you were more of a science person. Guess I was completely off the mark.
rolleyes.gif

I almost went into Creative Writing also. I love writing fiction, been doing it since I could put sentences together. But for me it just seemed impractical in the long run, so I went to law school instead. Anyway, hope things work out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back