where did you get all this knowledge from?
Sep 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

adamlr

1000+ Head-Fier
except for the actual sound engineers who studied professionally, where did all you "audiofiles" get all this information? what internet sites? what books? what movies?

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:
except for the actual sound engineers who studied professionally, where did all you "audiofiles" get all this information? what internet sites? what books? what movies?

Head-Fi
Google Searching
Wikipedia
Finding and making friends on Head-Fi
And a plethora of audio sites

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 21
Nowadays, it's easy with the internet.  20 years ago when I started we had to rely on what the couple of shops in town had to say and offer.  And a few magazines, but you know how magazines are, advertising driven.  But still, there was a lot to learn from those magazines.  Actually, most of the shops were regurgitating a lot of what they read in the newest magazine.  Having read that same magazine they could have saved their breath most of the time.

An Audiophile movie would be hilarious.  Guy in the middle of a couch, speakers in the distance, lights out, LEDs and tubes glowing.  Occasional front view with a look of either enjoyment, or not.  Then turning the nearby lamp on and getting up every few minutes to swap out the CD, then repeat for two hours.  Now it'd be even more boring with all the computer systems around. Occasional close up shots of hitting the forward button.   

"Looks like he's enjoying that song quite a lot!"

"Shhhhhhhh!"

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 21
Even though my experience  is a bit limited compareed to others in these forums I did get most of my info from audiophile friends with different preference in audio. In my opinion the best way to learn is to get together with other people who likes different stuff.

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 21
The internet helps enourmously. I was forntunate enough (and still am) to have an audio dealer as a friend. And not the kind that is locked into certain brands. He would have all brands of what he liked in house to try out. It was mostly speakers and related equipment (amps, sources, etc) and a few headphones. Then owning and selling a butt load of stuff and going to local meets helps.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
Then owning and selling a butt load of stuff 

That's a unique group.  Compulsive and crazy, and maybe never satisfied (no offense 
biggrin.gif
). 

I had a buddy that gave me continuous 30 second samples of music from many CDs.  At that point I'm not listening to music, he's telling me to listen to the shimmer of the cymbal.  "Here it comes... that ain't right is it?"  Stops the CD, grabs another one... "Here, listen for the toe tap.  You can barely hear it!"  Another CD goes in.

"C'mon let the music play!"

"I'm selling this tomorrow."

"You just got it yesterday!"

Audiophiles are crazy people, I'm certain.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 21
No offense taken - I am crazy
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 21
LOL I know what you mean

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 21
Well, old Marconi and I were sitting down to a couple of beers, and he said "Wireless" - He always called me Wireless, short for "Wireless Willy" - "I think there's going to be a big future in headphones." So I looked at old Marco - I always called him Marco - and I said "Marco, you could be right, and I think if you can get that radio of yours working, the first thing we should do is tell everyone that the cables we use are made of magical unicorn hair - you know, to sort of keep it mysterious." And the rest is history.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 21
Finding out knowledge- perhaps the best way is to actually get off your butts and test out the gear and actually buy some gear. I've owned some headphones, amps and DACs and lived with them and it's given me some good insight. I've also attended meets to sample a bunch of stuff to gain some insight. It's also important to have some reference CDs so you know the recordings well enough for testing out gear. 

Of course, doing these things can be expensive especially if you end up buying gear so not everyone can have the personal knowledge which IMO is the best knowledge so you probably have to read reviews on the internet so get some kind of fuzzy idea. One thing that I learned is that in many ways, opinions do not matter. Sometimes, a very popular item turns out to be not my particular taste. Lobster is popular and loved but will every food lover love it? Does every food lover think highly of rib eye steak and caviar? Everyone is different so experience is the best tool for learning.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
Head-Fi
Google Searching
Wikipedia
Finding and making friends on Head-Fi
And a plethora of audio sites

yes i got as much.... i was asking for specific sites, i know how to use wiki and google, i just thought someone here may know a few helpful sites that i may not find on my own.

Quote:
Nowadays, it's easy with the internet.  20 years ago when I started we had to rely on what the couple of shops in town had to say and offer.  And a few magazines, but you know how magazines are, advertising driven.  But still, there was a lot to learn from those magazines.  Actually, most of the shops were regurgitating a lot of what they read in the newest magazine.  Having read that same magazine they could have saved their breath most of the time.

An Audiophile movie would be hilarious.  Guy in the middle of a couch, speakers in the distance, lights out, LEDs and tubes glowing.  Occasional front view with a look of either enjoyment, or not.  Then turning the nearby lamp on and getting up every few minutes to swap out the CD, then repeat for two hours.  Now it'd be even more boring with all the computer systems around. Occasional close up shots of hitting the forward button.   

"Looks like he's enjoying that song quite a lot!"

"Shhhhhhhh!"

lol... i was thinking more about documentarys about sound....

Quote:
Finding out knowledge- perhaps the best way is to actually get off your butts and test out the gear and actually buy some gear. I've owned some headphones, amps and DACs and lived with them and it's given me some good insight. I've also attended meets to sample a bunch of stuff to gain some insight. It's also important to have some reference CDs so you know the recordings well enough for testing out gear. 

Of course, doing these things can be expensive especially if you end up buying gear so not everyone can have the personal knowledge which IMO is the best knowledge so you probably have to read reviews on the internet so get some kind of fuzzy idea. One thing that I learned is that in many ways, opinions do not matter. Sometimes, a very popular item turns out to be not my particular taste. Lobster is popular and loved but will every food lover love it? Does every food lover think highly of rib eye steak and caviar? Everyone is different so experience is the best tool for learning.

im not talking about gear, im talking about what the gear does and how it all works.

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 21
Robert Harley's - The Complete Guide To High End Audio
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0964084945

Tell you everything you need. Even breaks down equipment and how it works.

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #15 of 21
head-fi,
jaben mayalsia,
google search
wikipedia
winamp and anything that has an eq

Users who are viewing this thread

Back