Where did beats go?
Dec 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

FlobHobNob

100+ Head-Fier
So, I've noticed that beats aren't as popular as they once were. I go to highschool and I've noticed the lack of beats users there are. And the people I do see using beats admit there trash and wish they would have gotten something else. I mean people are still talking about them on head fi but I find the lack of them in public interesting. So, why is this?

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 25
I think because people simply get too tired of talking about them, personally I think the topic of Beats are annoying.  When you bring up Beats around audiophiles, they always say they are trash (which personally they do sound like garbage to me, and yes i gave them a try... just far too muddy) But when you bring them up around other people that do not know much about real high-end/quality headphones, then they have mixed opinions and they judge mostly on the way they look and just the name on them.  It just gets annoying and I think everyone is finally getting tired of them in general.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 25
My guess is that most of the people that used to buy beats had their beats expire on them and now they probably wont want to get expensive headphones in general.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 25
I don't know where you are, but here in Texas, beats are still as popular and prevalent as they've always been....

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 25
Here in Memphis they are more popular than ever. At my High School I've seen literally hundreds of pairs of Beats. I know people that have had the headband crack on there pair and not even question build quality, and just go drop a couple hundred bucks on a new one. With Christmas coming up I am sure I will be seeing plenty more. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 25
I always thought that everyone here was bagging on the beats and making them seem worse than they actually are.
Today was the first time I sat down and listened to some Beats Studios seriously.  Oh. My. Lord.

They are $300?
I 100% came into this expecting them to sound better than the HD 555's I have right now.
I honestly don't really like the 555's much cause it's muddy and there's a serious lack of detail.
I thought, no matter how over-hyped, a $300 can MUST be better than my $90 HD 555's

Verdict?
I literally couldn't bare to listen to the beats for more than 1 song.
And keep in mind I listen to the types of modern songs that the beats were "tuned" for.

I couldn't believe it.  IMO, HD555's are *barely* middle end.  Probably top of bottom tier or low end of mid tier.
What does that make the beats?
I thought everyone was exaggerating how bad they were, but wow... this bad?

Not: I did do the foam mod, and the sound-stage mod on my 555's.
To be fair, I've listened to the $400 beats briefly before, and they sounded pretty nice.  Didn't compared them head to head, but they're probably slightly better than my HD 555's

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 25
Oh definetly, if you guys are under the immpression that I like beats you must have misunderstood me. I did a direct comparison to them and my un-amped dt770's and the dt770's destroyed them. I just thought it was weird that the beats fad had come to an end.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 25
i still see tons of beats everywhere i go.

not as many studios, but tons of solos.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 25
I listened to the solo's a little over a year ago.  I remember they sounded pretty good imo.  except the bass.  God i can't stand the bass.
I'm getting the HD600's soon.  On a scale of 1-10, how blown will my mind be compared to the 555's?

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 25
So, I've noticed that beats aren't as popular as they once were. I go to highschool and I've noticed the lack of beats users there are. And the people I do see using beats admit there trash and wish they would have gotten something else. I mean people are still talking about them on head fi but I find the lack of them in public interesting. So, why is this?

People read the reviews on amazon. The tours have 3x as many 1 star ratings as 5 star. Or they broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back