Where can I get wooden Grado cups for my Turbulent X Drivers?
Jan 16, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 18
Headphile.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 18
Jan 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks guys but I only see the option for the V10 with wooden cups at the bottom of the page, I feel dumb but I just don't see it lol

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Thanks guys but I only see the option for the V10 with wooden cups at the bottom of the page, I feel dumb but I just don't see it lol

You passed all of the wood. Half way down is the [size=x-large]Grado Standard Woody + Mods SR / MS[/size]
And the very first option is [size=x-large]High End Grado Woody Wide Top & Triple Point[/size]

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 18
You passed all of the wood. Half way down is the [size=x-large]Grado Standard Woody + Mods SR / MS[/size]

And the very first option is [size=x-large]High End Grado Woody Wide Top & Triple Point[/size]

Yea but I don't need the actual head phone I just need the wood cups

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

Yea but I don't need the actual head phone I just need the wood cups

Yes, he does that..

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 18
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 18
I'm a bit behind on replying here, but you should look for a local woodturner. Besides the fact that you'll be supporting a local artisan, in all likelihood, they can make you some stunning cups at a mere fraction of the price people are charging online. While this is a fundamentally premium industry, hence the premium prices, Grado cups are among the simplest things a wood turner can make honestly. I had a local one make me two sets of Thunderpants cups for around $20 per pair, and that was her price when I asked her to charge me what she felt was fair. Although I don't have the lathe turning ability, making these things is honestly stupidly easy if you think about it (and can be a very rewarding experience to try doing your own, as many Head-Fi'ers here have in the DIY forum).

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't buy from someone like Martin because his designs and workmanship is just out of this world. I am suggesting though you look locally, if you're not interested in Martin or Turbulent, because you might just be able to find comparable (or even better?) craftsmanship and more down to earth prices. 

As for Turbulent, I can no longer recommend them at all. The cups I bought from them work perfectly, as they have since day 1. But their pricing is getting beyond reason (it was $75 when I ordered, a tad high compared to some other makers around here or Cabillas, but not out of line), then 90, which was still okay, and now 110. Don't quote me on this, but the vintage cups are in the 160 range. Again, they work fine, but so do your original Grado cups. If you're going to pay that much for a mostly aesthetic, minorly sonic upgrade, you might as well go get something done by Martin, who puts in the handwork and effort to make some masterpieces rather cups CNC-ed out of a cheap block of wood. Brilliant work on Turbulent's part no doubt, but it's hard to accept the price-gouging when you consider what you're actually getting. That's just my opinion though -- others may feel totally different, and are justified in doing so. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
I'm a bit behind on replying here, but you should look for a local woodturner. Besides the fact that you'll be supporting a local artisan, in all likelihood, they can make you some stunning cups at a mere fraction of the price people are charging online. While this is a fundamentally premium industry, hence the premium prices, Grado cups are among the simplest things a wood turner can make honestly. I had a local one make me two sets of Thunderpants cups for around $20 per pair, and that was her price when I asked her to charge me what she felt was fair. Although I don't have the lathe turning ability, making these things is honestly stupidly easy if you think about it (and can be a very rewarding experience to try doing your own, as many Head-Fi'ers here have in the DIY forum).

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't buy from someone like Martin because his designs and workmanship is just out of this world. I am suggesting though you look locally, if you're not interested in Martin or Turbulent, because you might just be able to find comparable (or even better?) craftsmanship and more down to earth prices. 

As for Turbulent, I can no longer recommend them at all. The cups I bought from them work perfectly, as they have since day 1. But their pricing is getting beyond reason (it was $75 when I ordered, a tad high compared to some other makers around here or Cabillas, but not out of line), then 90, which was still okay, and now 110. Don't quote me on this, but the vintage cups are in the 160 range. Again, they work fine, but so do your original Grado cups. If you're going to pay that much for a mostly aesthetic, minorly sonic upgrade, you might as well go get something done by Martin, who puts in the handwork and effort to make some masterpieces rather cups CNC-ed out of a cheap block of wood. Brilliant work on Turbulent's part no doubt, but it's hard to accept the price-gouging when you consider what you're actually getting. That's just my opinion though -- others may feel totally different, and are justified in doing so. 

Am having fun chatting to a local woodturner after taking your suggestion. Have fed him some measurements, sent him a few pictures and chatted on the phone a little. He is intrigued, and wants to show me a prototype soon (out of Poplar)...the final rendition will be either Cocobolo or Paduak. Probably Paduak as he has some on hand already. When I called him to today he was chuckling because I caught him in the middle of a Youtube video showing someone pulling their Grados apart.

Its rather nice to introduce someone to something new and indulge a passion of theirs at the same time.

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #14 of 18
Woo hoo just had an email from my lovely wood turning guy and he has some more exotic wood in stock .
He hasn't said what but I'm just waiting a reply.
I have redone the dims and once the new cups are made and I'm happy with the fit then they will be going on eBay
And I will make a run of them .
I don't know how to sell own here and I don't know if I have enough posts.
Could some one advise me please
Thanks

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 18
Beware the mods, become a Member of the Trade before you try to flog anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back