Where can I demo headphones?
Jul 29, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 34
Best Buy is really chill with their return policies. I needed some Shure olives to use with my RE0's, and casually borrowed them forever from some SE210's. Great experience, would buy (borrow) again. 
biggrin.gif

DOWN WITH CORPORATE MONOPOLIES. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #20 of 34
Amazon. Definitely for Sennheiser cans. I told them I never received my Sennheiser HD 555's because I didn't know the USPS man hid them in the bushes near my door and they delivered a second set for free. I eventually found my first set and having morals, I returned them back to Amazon.

They have a great return policy too if you can cope with going to your local post office. I live within 5 minutes from mine, so it was never a problem. I think it was 30 days..? No restocking fee or questions about opened boxes FTW. If you have seen some HD 555 unboxing video's, you should notice that you DO NOT HAVE TO DAMAGE THE BOX TO OPEN IT. You know what this means. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #22 of 34

Quote:
Amazon. Definitely for Sennheiser cans. I told them I never received my Sennheiser HD 555's because I didn't know the USPS man hid them in the bushes near my door and they delivered a second set for free. I eventually found my first set and having morals, I returned them back to Amazon.

That's odd.  Are you sure it was delivered USPS versus UPS/Fedex?  Amazon does use the postal service but not usually for items where the price tag qualifies them for free second day shipping or items that won't easily fit in most mail boxes or for items they would want a delivery receipt.  Certainly if it was sold third-party through Amazon that would explain it ... but the chance that my postal carrier would leave a package other than my designated delivery spot (i.e. mail box or mail slot or mail room) without first obtaining a signature for it is zero.  

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #23 of 34
Oh whoops, typo. It was definitely a third party through Amazon. I had GREAT shipping experiences with UPS, USPS, DHL, and Fedex. They ring the doorbell at least. However, only UPS requires signatures, the other three is less.. professional.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:
Is Guitar Center a great place to go test out Boes Headphones? Thank you. 

Sarah

Bose headphones aren't exactly on the Head-Fi members' list of great headphones to test though
tongue_smile.gif
(Besides, your local big mall might have a Bose showroom anyways)

They might have Sennheisers and AKGs though...but I might be wrong since I haven't been to Guitar Center in years (I was in the US last year but didn't get to visit one as work keeps me from playing gigs anyways, so I'm happy with what I still have). Best bet is to just bite the bullet, buy then return - you'll have to pay return shipping, just avoid items or dealers that charge repacking fees (maybe buy refurb items?).

Another is to check some manufacturers' dealer network. When my brother (in California) was looking for headphones I advised him to check Grado's site, and he found one near his college. They carried other brands, including amps and DACs from Musical Fidelity, but he still ended up with the SR80i because he liked them best with his iPod Touch.

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #27 of 34
Try and see if any of your local Best Buys have a "Magnolia Home Theater" center.. you can get a good demo session and get familiar with some sound signatures

*some* of the Magnolia's will carry more audiophile-head-fi-friendly gear.

AT AD900's / ESW9
AKG K167 / K550
Senny Momentum
Senny HD 558 / 598
Sony MDR-1r
Denon AHD600
Martin Logan Mikros
B&W P series
Pioneer SAEs

Best Buy will typically have (that head-fiers don't frown upon):
UE 6000
HD428/439 & 280/380 Pros
Koss Pro DJ100/200
Skull Candy Mix Masters / Navigators (not bad from SC)
Aiaiai TMA-1s

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #29 of 34
Reviving a 6 year old thread, apologies. Hopefully a place or two has popped up in central Virginia I haven't been able to find since this thread was made. I've tried Best Buy but the selection there wasn't great, Guitar Center had maybe 7 headphones in boxes and not possible to demo, Audio Visions has a couple randoms to demo. So far no Sennheiser. A decent selection of Sennheiser or Hifiman would be awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back