Where can I buy Etymotic ER6i locally?
Feb 16, 2006 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NoMoreNIU

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get the Etymotic ER6i before my plane trip this Sunday, where can I find it locally? I've checked BB, CC, Tweeter, Fry's, and Abt with no luck. Should I try GuitarCenter? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I live in Schaumburg IL. Weird Etymotic is in Elk Grove IL, it's not far from where I live but I can't find their headphones in any local stores.

Feb 16, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMoreNIU
I'm looking to get the Etymotic ER6i before my plane trip this Sunday, where can I find it locally? I've checked BB, CC, Tweeter, Fry's, and Abt with no luck. Should I try GuitarCenter? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I live in Schaumburg IL. Weird Etymotic is in Elk Grove IL, it's not far from where I live but I can't find their headphones in any local stores.

Try checking Etymotic's dealer locator page here. Proximity to their headquarters is probably not going to make a difference one way or the other.

Feb 16, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 13
Be sure to experiment with insertion and fit before you leave, so you don't spend the first leg of your trip fiddling with them. I think they will improve the quality of your travel experience -- even an imperfect fit will help somewhat with the cabin noise, but a great fit will make you feel sorry for people not wearing noise isolators on your flight.

Edit: Would you consider paying for overnight delivery from Amazon or some other online retailer such as the Head-Fi sponsors?

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
Be sure to experiment with insertion and fit before you leave, so you don't spend the first leg of your trip fiddling with them. I think they will improve the quality of your travel experience -- even an imperfect fit will help somewhat with the cabin noise, but a great fit will make you feel sorry for people not wearing noise isolators on your flight.

Edit: Would you consider paying for overnight delivery from Amazon or some other online retailer such as the Head-Fi sponsors?

I'll call my local Apple stores and see if they carry them, thanks AudioPhobe. Thanks for the insertion tip. Now I was thinking, does this get annoying for every day use? I plan on using these in the office too, and if it's that good in noise blocking it might be bad for work. And does it get gross with the earwax and all. I read the manual online last night and they said open your mouth or pull your ear when you insert, so I guess it must go pretty deep. My alternative is Shure E2c, the E2c doesn't look it it goes deep, but the E2c isn't rated as high in review as E6i.

Feb 16, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 13
I just happened to call the Schaumburg Apple retail store a couple days ago and the customer service person I spoke with didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked about ER6i's? Go figure.

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMoreNIU
I'll call my local Apple stores and see if they carry them, thanks AudioPhobe. Thanks for the insertion tip. Now I was thinking, does this get annoying for every day use? I plan on using these in the office too, and if it's that good in noise blocking it might be bad for work. And does it get gross with the earwax and all. I read the manual online last night and they said open your mouth or pull your ear when you insert, so I guess it must go pretty deep. My alternative is Shure E2c, the E2c doesn't look it it goes deep, but the E2c isn't rated as high in review as E6i.

It is very good in noise blocking, as is the e2c. You will not be able to hear your coworkers talking to you. They go pretty deep. It might be uncomfortable at first if you've never used canalphones before. However, if you have used something like the Sony ex71 or similar in-ear buds, I don't think you'll have much trouble adjusting to the foam tips. In my own experience, I got used to it pretty well, even though I thought it hurt horribly at first. I can now wear it, even with triflange tips, for five or six hours straight with minimal discomfort.

If you don't need something in-ear, and you're worried about comfort, I'd suggest the Sony e888 as a great alternative - it's probably the best earbud out there. You can get them at audiocubes:

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/So...Earphones.html

Feb 16, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 13
eBay if you're concerned re price, or contact Etymotic cust. svc.. Er-61 are an excellent choice. Then add Xin Supermini...........and ultimately get custom molds.

Feb 16, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 13
As Jagorev said, with the foamies the Etymotics don't go as deep. Replacing (or washing occasionally) the foam tips is a small price to pay for excellent isolation and sound. Also, easier to put in and take out, like at work for example, with the foamies. And you can always graduate to the flanges, which do insert deeply and which can take a few seconds (or more) to get out. (I've gone from the flanges to the foamies, and find the Etymotics much simpler to use now.)

Good luck in your search.
etysmile.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhobe
If you've got one nearby, Apple stores carry them, at least in SoCal.

In Portland they always did too. But they're not super popular because of price I guess so maybe they don't carry them in some locations. Sometimes they have them in the back too and you have to be really specific - since it's expensive they don't want to keep too many on the floor, so maybe call/ask again.

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 13
I checked 2 local Apple stores and both didn't have it, I guess it's not meant to be. Plus the comment about pretty much complete isolation to my co-workers probably not the greatest for office use. I commute by car and I would only use these headphones walking in/out of work and inside of work, I guess I'll look for something else. Thank you for all your help.

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 13
Contact Music Direct in your area. They have a store according to another poster here.

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #13 of 13
Canal phones might be a good solution for you -- not really isolators, but they stay in the ear far better than regular earbuds do, don't leak sound to annoy people around you, and serve to "override" most outside noise if you play them loudly enough ... but you can pretty much hear people if you play music at a relatively low volume. Of course, you might already have canal phones ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back