Where are the REAL Audio/Music fans?
Sep 21, 2003 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
From what part of the world do the greatest music lovers and audio fans hail?

I say Chicago has the best music fans,the best music stores,the greatest audio fans and stores and best of all, we are the real deal. There are no boutique stores here,just places where hard-core music and audio buffs get a fix and enjoy the rewards of living in the greatest music city in the world. There is a big reason all the great Music movies are set in the Windy City. When the producers of High Fidelity were considering a shooting locale only Chicago was really considered. When they got here they found all of us waiting with gear and music to use in the movie and a base of great music and audio lovers.

I got into an argument with a "audiophile" from San Francisco once when he demanded I sell him a record intead of offering a trade, which I prefer. He said "You Chicago people are the type that would have 10,000 records and play them on a $100 turntable" . I replied, "You California boys are the type that will spend $10,000 on a table and have 10 records to play on it". We never did do any business.

If you think otherwise, spill it. I'm not dissin' any other city, I just want to know what you think and want to hear you rep your hometown.

Chicago rules
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 53
Seattle is also a great place for music. It is very scattered about though and you need to know where to go. For instance tucked away in Ballard is a store where the guy has pretty much all LP's and the building is full of them. He has a basement collection that only the employees see and he dispatched them down there to find records when requested.

Sep 21, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 53
Well, I am NOT proud to say that south NJ isn't one of these places, at least where I live. It seems every single person only listens to pop music (top 40) or certain kinds of music that all of their friends like. They don't really seem to care much about how it sounds, as long as it is popular among their group. Of course, not all people here are like this, but most are.

Sep 21, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller

I replied, "You California boys are the type that will spend $10,000 on a table and have 10 records to play on it".

You say that like there's something wrong with that. (my half assed attempt to defend my people)

edit: oh yeah, remember that i'm from los angeles. i think the sf people are a little less guilty of that. i guess i'll find out soon enough about these davis folk.

Sep 21, 2003 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Seattle is also a great place for music. It is very scattered about though and you need to know where to go. For instance tucked away in Ballard is a store where the guy has pretty much all LP's and the building is full of them. He has a basement collection that only the employees see and he dispatched them down there to find records when requested.

THAT would be bop street records.

i'd be very careful about what you buy there. sure he has a lot of records, but that is because he takes EVERYTHING, including completely thrashed records. the only tt he has there to audition is sitting at an angle on a stack of old newpapers, with a stylus so worn out that it probably ruins any record you audition, and it is almost impossible to hear if the record is worn or not. also, despite owning tens of thousands of records, he does not own or offer any record cleaning (which to me is puzzling--one good clean with a nitty gritty and you've got a sale). his prices are high and he will not haggle (won't 'aggle!?!?), but i think he takes beer in trade.

i prefer places like easy street records in lower queen anne. they seem to be more picky about the records they take, they seem clean, and they have a couple of dj tt's that are in good enough condition to tell if an lp is still good. plus lou reed played there a few weeks ago.
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 53
There are also a couple of places over by the U District on 45th I think that I have visited. I also like easy street. I have never bought any vinyl at any of them just browsed. My son and I were there about about a 2 months ago and it cost me. He found a bunch of stuff he just had to have.

Sep 21, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by SteeleBlayde
You guys need to hook me up...
tongue.gif
Too bad I dont do vinyl.

No need. Just come to the meets, man
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 53
Well the Bay Area does have two Amoebas very close togther (Berkeley and SF) which are considered some of the best record stores there are. They are quite large. There are also Rasputins througout the Bay Area which are all pretty big as well, plus lots of independent record shops. I don't really see them having a shortage on being able to get records and there must be people buying/selling them to sustain the stores they do.
Over here in Socal it is quite different where there are hardly any in the OC area, and only in LA are there any record stores, luckily they opened an Amoeba in LA.

Sep 21, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by AC1

Over here in Socal it is quite different where there are hardly any in the OC area, and only in LA are there any record stores, luckily they opened an Amoeba in LA.

I used to go that amoeba at least once a week. But just cause people in LA have access to records doesn't make them REAL music fans as tuberoller puts it. We have a few, but a lot of it is just people following the hype. Even for the underground/indie stuff. Whatever, I still love LA.

Sep 21, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
I used to go that amoeba at least once a week. But just cause people in LA have access to records doesn't make them REAL music fans as tuberoller puts it. We have a few, but a lot of it is just people following the hype. Even for the underground/indie stuff. Whatever, I still love LA.

Ya that is true. Sounds like what people here would do, very "LA".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back