Where are the R2R Dacs in Europe?
Nov 1, 2020 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Deolum

1000+ Head-Fier
I live in Europe, specifically Germany, and can't understand the lack of R2R Dacs. When i look at different forums it seems that for many people R2R Dacs are the nonplusultra and the market in the US seems quite big.

In Germany there is exactly one ! shop that offers R2R Dacs and these are the Holoaudio May Level 2 and Level 3. Apart from those two Dacs it's impossible to demo or buy any R2R Dacs from a German distributor.

Are there some brands in Europe that offer R2R Dacs as well? Maybe i miss something because i'm mostly looking for Denafrips, Schiit and Holoaudio.

Nov 4, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 21
I contacted Soekris and it took a long time to hear back. I think it is a very small operation and the Danish site has nothing in stock as I understood it. I read here on headfi a new DAC is in development but the website is really bad and you have no idea what's going on.

I think there are some very high end R2R DACs made in Poland (not sure if Lampizator still makes one).

I have a cheap Audio-gd R2R and I'm so impressed with the device and the service that I would actually consider getting one of their high end units. The high end ones have a horribly weird UI but based on my bottom of the line unit, I guess the sound quality would be killer. They have retailers in Europe.

One way I find shops is to look at sites for products I'm interested in and then go look at the retailer links in Europe.

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 21
If possible I would consider getting some of the Topping DACs. Right now in this point in time, the really hot DACs are the Topping D90, the D70S and there probably will be another Topping DAC released sooner or later.

Also the SMSL DACs are also the hot “celebrities” too in the DAC world, Men are lusting after these hot DACs. I’m thinking of getting one myself.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 21
I have a cheap Audio-gd R2R and I'm so impressed with the device and the service that I would actually consider getting one of their high end units.
Is that R2R 11?
Have you compared it with Schiit Multibit?

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 21
Take a look at audiophonics.fr for
Audio-GD, Holo Audio or Musician Pegasus.

You can also have a look at magnahifi.com in the netherlands for Audio-GD and Holo Audio.

At headquarteraudio.de you can find some Denafrips devices.

Viel Erfolg. :)

BR
Chris

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 21
Is that R2R 11?
Have you compared it with Schiit Multibit?
No, I'm done buying schiit. The R2R 11 stands on its own merits.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #12 of 21
I have bought MHDT Orchid (second hand in UK), but is also usually also available new on ebay. I do not want to listen to other DACs than R2Rs now:)

I have also heard good views on Neko d100 and would like to try at some point.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #13 of 21
That would be a big mistake, imo. :)

Have paired my Mojo with my R28 recently and i'm happy i did.
I like to swap between the different signatures at wish to fit my different moods. ^^
But yes, the R28 has more head time/ listening bc my active speakers are connected to and they play very well with. :wink:

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #15 of 21
Based on different moods, i like the clarity via headphones the Mojo brings to the table.
Not that i dislike the sound of the R28 R2R, i love that sound signature, but sometimes, there's a need for the "higher" clarity and punch the Mojo has to offer in direct comparison.

Well, it's me and my habits, i've to say. :wink:
But all in all i'd miss something without having the opportunity to hook the Mojo to the fabulous amp of the R28.
Especially while listening with headphones, not so much when i listen to my Elac Air-X 407.
It also depends on the music i am listening to.

It's just great to have the choice. :)

P.s.
I don't mean trying the Neko. ^^
Just the "only listen to R2R". :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back