Whens AT next LTD woodie?
Apr 17, 2006 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

coolshot

500+ Head-Fier
i was really interested in getting a w5000. The more i read on it, tho, the less i want to get it because of fit issues. Lots of people sing its praises and qualities decribe my perfect headphone. However there is a large chance they may not fit my oval head. So in the meantime i can save up for a nice dac and mpx slam.

Until then, does anyone know when AT is coming out with a w6000 possibly where they fixed the fit issues? Do they come out with one every year?hopefully it will come with a nice gloss finish and have an improved sound. $900 isnt a risk i can take especially when i still havent paid off my current cans.

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 21
Nobody knows for sure, but I'm guessing that Audio-Technica might release something for 2007. I'm assuming they might release it sometime near the end of this year or early next year. My reasoning is that 2007 is Audio-Technica's 45th anniversary. But then, I'm just guessing. Some more experienced members of ATOWF might be able to make better guesses.

[size=xx-small]You know something amazing will be coming out in 2012 though.
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 21
There really aren't fit issues. Nearly everyone who had them admits now that they can be fixed by rotating the pads.

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
so rotating pads is an absolute solution? or just quick fix, that can help somewhat?

It's as absolute solution as you can get to the fit problems. Basically, (if I understand this right) they weren't getting a full seal in some places, and rotated the pad. I tried Oski's pair and they fit me great... he explained what he'd done. Nobody at that minimeet had ANY problem with the fit, and we defintiely had a wide range of head types.

Here's the meet thread about it.

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 21
Can I ask what ATOWF means? I can guess the first two letters, but OWF...?

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Audio-Technica Oldie Woodie Fanboys.
biggrin.gif
Overlunge started it.

I think I did
biggrin.gif

At this stage, the release of a 45th anniversary headphone is pure speculation only, if it does occur, will likely be end of 2006 (following AT's recent pattern) or some time 2007 (which they have also done that before). Discussing how much of an 'improvement' over W5000 (to me) is meaningless since each and everyone of the ATH-W and L are different sounding to various degree. Will AT 'correct' the fit issue some people have with the W5000? I am not sure.

To the OP, my suggestion is to go along to a meet and try them for yourself since what we say that make you think it's the 'perfect headphone' for you, might be a hit and miss.

Just my two cents.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 21
Frankly, while rotating the pads did help alot, it's not always enough. In my case, I had to bend the metal bars a tiny bit (ever so delicately) to really get a proper fit, along with the pad rotation. I hated having to do so, but without it the bass seemed anemic and disappointing. Now the cans are fantastic, and burning in is only making them better. I wouldn't wait for the next iteration, at least not just because of fit issues.
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 21
I have a small ovular head and rotating the pads fixes most of the problem, but I also cut up a shoe shine cloth and lined the inside of the pads with it. It pushes the pads out and makes it sound better by putting the transducer a little further away from the ear. I doubt you will have any fit problems if you do this.

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
I think I did
biggrin.gif

At this stage, the release of a 45th anniversary headphone is pure speculation only, if it does occur, will likely be end of 2006 (following AT's recent pattern) or some time 2007 (which they have also done that before). Discussing how much of an 'improvement' over W5000 (to me) is meaningless since each and everyone of the ATH-W and L are different sounding to various degree. Will AT 'correct' the fit issue some people have with the W5000? I am not sure.

To the OP, my suggestion is to go along to a meet and try them for yourself since what we say that make you think it's the 'perfect headphone' for you, might be a hit and miss.

Just my two cents.

funny u might say that, i went to a meet with prolly every high end available. I basically stayed away from anything i couldnt afford at the time >$400. Well.... i did listen to the Orpheus combo and ps-1
evil_smiley.gif
. Well new job changes everything and i can defininately get a can in the 1k range and the gear to support it. I really wish i did try out all those AT woodies and k1000 and super modded 650s, and whatever sonys came in red/blue.

Apr 17, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
so rotating pads is an absolute solution? or just quick fix, that can help somewhat?

Quick kludge for me (at tops). Also, the QC issues on those headphones was horrible. Just FYI (do a search here on rattling drivers). The bass is still lacking and the fit is far from optimal (compared to even ATH-A900).

Apr 17, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #14 of 21
I do have a slight fit issue with my W5000, but by experimenting you can improve it after a while. By rotating the pads and pushing the top of the can a bit forward I get a decent fit.
In my case they do lose a bit of bass impact and a bit of body because of the fit, but this is the only con of the W5000 wich are still the best all around cans I have tried so far.
I am using them out of the Lavry black, and I think I can find a tube amp wich can improve those two issues and get a relly good sounding rig (may be SP MPX3 or Earmax silver with some tube rolling).
I have never heard of any can without any cons at all and the imperfect fit is the only one I can find in the W5000. Anyway, before spenidng this sort of maney you should try to audition them and play around with the fit.

Apr 17, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 21
Using the W5000 with the Lavry DA10's headphone port, I would agree that pressing the driver housings by hand to simulate a higher clamping force increases bass impact and body. I don't think the W5000 sounds bad paired with the DA10, but it is less smooth and more thin-sounding than when paired with the AT-HA5000. When driven from the DA10, I would prefer a higher clamping force and the fuller sound that results, while sacrificing soundstage and airyness.

When driven by the HA5000, the W5000 sounds much better to me worn normally. When the driver housings are pressed in, the soundstage becomes compressed. There is less airyness. Bass impact increases, but it is muddier and loses air and detail, becoming less realistic sounding.

I think the W5000 sounds best with its relaxed fit and a relatively low clamping force compared to the AD2000 or L3000. Soundstage size, imaging, airyness, instrument separation and the sense of depth and layers are better with the normal loose-feeling fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back