When you had your wisdom teeth taken out...
Aug 17, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #46 of 54
Sorry folks but I've got to call BS on this one. Knees on your chest? C'mon. I know people like to dramatize and I'm certain it makes for a good tale and at the same time scares the hell out of prospective patients but that's ridiculous. I've been in practice for over 20 years and have done as much if not more oral surgery than many oral surgeons. The equipment and techniques don't involve any sort of jerking motion as described....."violently yanking". If you truly think that happened, I submit that perhaps your mind was, in truth, playing tricks on you. As for the number of "novacaine" injections received, uh, 12 carpules of anesthetic borders on overdose depending on how close together the injections were administered. Frankly, under such stress, I'm shocked someone had the presence of mind to count the number of injections. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Let's set the record straight. Removal of third molars(wisdom teeth) and other molars for that matter, is extremely safe and a very common procedure. Reasons for removal are numerous....impacted which could lead to damage of adjacent teeth, cyst formation, periodontal problems, decay, insufficient space and/or orthodontic concerns. The procedure can be done with nothing but local anesthesia(injections) or with additional anxiolytic measures including nitrous oxide(laughing gas) and IV sedation. Versed is the most popular medication today replacing Valium. With Versed, you have an emergency reversal agent(nicknamed "reversed") which only enhances safety. Versed also has the property of creating an amnesia effect which only serves to further lessen the perceived trauma of the procedure. If the wisdom teeth are impacted, the surgeon/dentist will use a scalpel blade to surgically penetrate and reflect the tissue to expose the tooth. At that point, he may use a handpiece to remove a small amount of bone from around the tooth and/or section the tooth. Sounds scary but bone has no "nerves" and using a smooth cutting handpiece with copious amounts of sterile saline makes it smoother than a filling! On some rare occasions, a provider might use and osteotome and mallet(the "hammer and chisel") but the surgical handpiece is the routinely used instrument on the lower arch. The bone around the upper third molars is egg shell thin in most cases and can easily be "flicked" away with a periosteal elevator and no "hammering" is needed. At that point, the tooth will be loosened using "elevators" which are small instuments(they look nothing like a crowbar!) placed between teeth or between the bone and tooth and ROTATED to loosen the tooth section. Usually, a couple of minutes max is all that it takes to loosen the tooth or fragment and ELEVATE it out if it's been sectioned correctly and prepped. No "yanking" or "jerking" is part of this process. It's a smooth and controlled motion and not the haphazard method described by several here. Once the tooth is removed, the socket is inspected and cleaned with a single suture is placed on the lower arch and usually none are placed on the uppers(gravity and the cheek hold this tissue in place.

Honestly, the procedure does have risk of complication too involved to go into here but suffice it to say, it's nothing like a few of the posts in this thread describe. If your description is accurate, I'll submit that a very inexperienced provider did the procedure and I'll also guarantee you he was NOT an oral surgeon. Frankly, I'll submit that a few of the more "graphic" posts in this thread are grossly exaggerated to enhance the effect of the tale on others.

To all who are considering or about to have the process done, plan on taking a couple of days off work/school and follow your post-op instructions carefully to minimize your risk of post-operative complications. It's not anything close to the nightmare you've been led to believe it is.

Aug 17, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrzejpw
Well, I got back a little bit ago. Vicodin's working quite well; gotta love this stuff. GF was over to make me some jello and a milkshake(and she's making me dinner tomorrow, so this isn't bad at all
wink.gif
). The swelling's not too bad, but I keep on forgetting that I can't lean my face on my hand.

Have to say though, that was my first time having anasthesia. Quite an odd experience. I got it through the IV. The surgeon just told me that if I think of happy thoughts I'd be out faster. Well, next thing I remember is waking up in a different room, having no recollection of me walking to it.

If you had an IV, the surgeon likely administered a steroid to help with the swelling. Glad it wasn't the doomsday experience you were led to believe it was.

Aug 18, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #48 of 54
Well the last couple of posts have greatly relived my anxiety. I'm having all four wisdom teeth out on Friday, as well as the four behind the canines. Everyone else made me
eek.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #49 of 54
I had 5 wisdom teeth. Yep 5.

I was thrown under and I didn't feel a thing. It was the closest I think I have ever experienced to being dead. One second I was in the chair mentally tripping out, the next they were trying to keep me awake because I kept wanting to fall back asleep. There was absolutely no registry of the time in between.

I would take an oral surgeon over dentist any day. Do it for the drugs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #50 of 54
Had all 4 of my wisdoms taken out a few years ago. Basically, I remember them sticking me with a needle, then all of a sudden, I'm in a wheel chair being pushed to the car. Kinda freaky. My swelling took awhile to go down, at least a week, maybe more, can't remember for sure. Keep in mind that I was eating KFC that same day, so that probably didn't help anything.
biggrin.gif
For those of you who might ask, "Why would you eat fried chicken after getting your wisdom teeth pulled?" Everything seems like a good idea when high as a kite, my friend. Besides, fried chicken is the greatest!
rolleyes.gif
Luckily for me, the pain pills they gave me made me sick (hydrocodine, i think), so I had to handle the pain all by my lonesome. Honestly, the pain wasn't even that bad. The most annoying thing was the fact I couldn't open my mouth very much for a couple months. Anyways, best of luck to you, and enjoy the week or so of complete irresponsibility.
eggosmile.gif

the Judge

Aug 19, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #52 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Honestly, the procedure does have risk of complication too involved to go into here but suffice it to say, it's nothing like a few of the posts in this thread describe. If your description is accurate, I'll submit that a very inexperienced provider did the procedure and I'll also guarantee you he was NOT an oral surgeon. Frankly, I'll submit that a few of the more "graphic" posts in this thread are grossly exaggerated to enhance the effect of the tale on others.

I stand by my post 100%. If anything it is the condensed and sugar coated version of the story. It was not grossly exagerrated and the procedure WAS performed by an oral surgeon recommended by and appointment made by my dentist.

It is not unreasonable to expect that a fraction of a percentage of the caregivers out there are uncaring, unprofessional hacks.

Aug 23, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #54 of 54
Well, they're all out! my story is almost exactly the same as Judge Crandall's so I won't repeat it. I didn't go outside in a wheelchair though. Only one side is swelling and nothing hurts so I guess I'm doing pretty good. Three cheers for the inventor of ice packs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back