When you had your wisdom teeth taken out...
Jul 22, 2004 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

djgustashaw

1000+ Head-Fier
How long does it take for the swelling to go down? I had mine taken out yesterday (Weds. the 21st), and my face looks like a pear. Tomorrow is my last day off from work and I go back on Saturday, I really hope it'll be down by then. I've been going heavy on ibprofen to control the swelling but it got worse overnight. At least I have no soreness... and the procedure itself was actually damn fun with the laughing gas!
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 54
My experience was much like yours, only there was no nitrous oxide...just good IV drugs! I never felt a thing...
blink.gif

The swelling went down after a couple of days.

cool.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 54
"just good IV drugs!"

Yup same here. Maybe liquid Valium? They said some people fight it so they gave me 2 shots. I remember counting backwards from 100. I think I got to 96, the next thing I know I’m propped up next to an X-ray machine or something. They said they dropped a tooth but I wouldn’t notice?

Great fun.

Mitch

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 54
mine took two hours to extract. the pain was unreal. the teeth were so deep the dentist broke the metal extraction tool and had to get new one. the novacaine kept wearing off as well. he ended up taking a chisel to my jaw to remove the rest. the swelling wasn't bad but the pain was. i was on oxycodone for a while.
blink.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 54
I had my 12 year molars removed before my wisdom teeth came in right before I had braces in the 8th grade. So I actually do have my wisdom teeth, and am using them.

I had about 12 novacaine shots in the mouth that made everything numb from the tops of my cheeks to the middle of my neck.

I must say the pulling of my 12 yr molars was a pretty rough experience.

The dentist was pretty much putting his knee on my chest for leverage while pulling. He was violently yanking one them, swearing the whole time, as they were not coming out easily.

I practically had whiplash the next day , as my neck was sore. :eeK:

But at least they pulled the teeth out before the wisdom teeth were moving into place, which would've caused problems with having braces on.

-Ed

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
mine took two hours to extract. the pain was unreal. the teeth were so deep the dentist broke the metal extraction tool and had to get new one. the novacaine kept wearing off as well. he ended up taking a chisel to my jaw to remove the rest. the swelling wasn't bad but the pain was. i was on oxycodone for a while.
blink.gif

I'd been told stories like that for years from friends and family. As a result, I was extremely scared going in, but my experience was nothing like that...

eek.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 54
ooo ouch.

I had several teeth taken out for the sake of a straight smile
biggrin.gif
. 3 Molars and 2 wisdom teeth. They weren't bad at all except the fear and anxiousness before the extraction.

I hadn't had any swelling at all just a little pain afterwards. My last extraction was my wisdom tooth. The tooth grew in at an angle into my molar and because of that they had to remove it.

Because of the angle of the wisdom tooth they ended up drilling it in half to remove it in peices. Thank you God for drug they injected me with. I remember geting like 2 shots way back in the mouth after that I couldn't feel much of anything just pressure but I sure could as hell smell burning bone. The smell of burnt teeth is similiar to the smell of singed hair except its like 10x stronger.

I'm glad I extracted all the teeth i needed to and lets just say i don't want another experience like that as i'm already loosing a handful of teeth
redface.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 54
Mine were extracted one at a time when I was already into my 50s.

My first oral surgeon was a rather attractive young woman who I nicknamed Buffy the Oral Surgeon. She injected several shots of novocaine and then proceeded to chisel the tooth out of my jaw. In order to get leverage, she literally climbed onto the chair and straddled me. I felt no pain and actually started to laugh. I was told by the doctor that if she had known that the experience would be pleasurable, she'd double her fee.

Afterwards, I developed something called a dry socket causing raw pain for about a week. Such fun!

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
I'd been told stories like that for years from friends and family. As a result, I was extremely scared going in, but my experience was nothing like that...

eek.gif

i had been told "it's not that bad..."
plainface.gif
after, my wife got me a little stuffed animal and big bottle of pain pills, the sweety. the dentist told me later that he should have referred me to a surgeon.

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelk
Mine were extracted one at a time when I was already into my 50s.

My first oral surgeon was a rather attractive young woman who I nicknamed Buffy the Oral Surgeon. She injected several shots of novocaine and then proceeded to chisel the tooth out of my jaw. In order to get leverage, she literally climbed onto the chair and straddled me. I felt no pain and actually started to laugh. I was told by the doctor that if she had known that the experience would be pleasurable, she'd double her fee.

Afterwards, I developed something called a dry socket causing raw pain for about a week. Such fun!

Haha, how ironic, a friend of mine, after having his first young female dentist, just got done telling me that, "Having a female dentist makes the experience somewhat erotic." Of course, I wholeheartedly disagreed...

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

plainface.gif
after, my wife got me a little stuffed animal and big bottle of pain pills, the sweety. the dentist told me later that he should have referred me to a surgeon.

Ah Ha! Now we're getting to the root of the problem. See, I went to an oral surgeon and I guess that's why I got all the good drugs and none of the pain.

There's a lesson here, folks...

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

plainface.gif

What?! I'd find a new dentist.

-Ed

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
Ah Ha! Now we're getting to the root of the problem. See, I went to an oral surgeon and I guess that's why I got all the good drugs and none of the pain.

There's a lesson here, folks...

smily_headphones1.gif

Woah. I'll remember that if I have to have any major work done.

(knock on wood, not my R10's)

-Ed

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 54
The top and bottom ones on my left side came out when I was 23. The bottom one got infected and despite all attempts to save it, it was no-go. the matching top one came out as a matter of course. Something about how they both have to come out if you take one out.

Anyway, the funny thing is, I never bothered to change dentists when I grew up (I didn't have to go often), so I still had my children's dentist. No point in switching since I was moving to Finland soon. Anyway, he gave me some sort of juice stuff, then he gave me the gas, and then novicane. He even put on the Mr. Bean episode where he goes to the dentist. All-in-all that was pretty fun considering I was getting my wisdom teeth out.

I was so inflamed from the infection that getting them out was instant relief. No pain, no swelling, just healed up quickly and went on with life.

A little while later the other two came out here in Finland. I don't remember why the doc suggested it, I think there was a crowding problem in the bottom teeth. Anyway, this one wasn't so fun, but it didn't hurt either. Again, no swelling, no pain, just healed up quickly.

And I'm not one that usually heals up quickly. *shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back