When you had your wisdom teeth taken out...
Jul 23, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by djgustashaw
How long does it take for the swelling to go down? I had mine taken out yesterday (Weds. the 21st), and my face looks like a pear. Tomorrow is my last day off from work and I go back on Saturday, I really hope it'll be down by then. I've been going heavy on ibprofen to control the swelling but it got worse overnight. At least I have no soreness... and the procedure itself was actually damn fun with the laughing gas!
biggrin.gif

Hey Bud,
ICE is the key to keeping the swelling down. I had all 4 out at once (While I was still in the military). They had us wear icepacks all night long on the first night. Hardly any swelling at all :600smile

I was lucky mine were all out in about 10 min. They only numbed me up with a few shots which was plenty. He grabbed the top ones with some type of pliers and they popped right out. The bottom ones he pried out with a small crowbar type device.
Everything was fine until the novacane wore off, then I was in the worst pain of my life until the Tylenol 3 hit.

Jul 23, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dweebgal
pay for it, it's worth it.

i thought the same (plus i hate dentists, mainly becuase local anasthetic doesn;t work on me, so i have to be sedated or be in agony) so i left mine for 2 years.

i now have a cavity in one, that, if it gets much bigger, or i knock it hard, will snap my tooth of at the gum line.

and it is very, very painful. there is no pain on this earth like toothache i swear

Spending a great deal of time with a urologist makes one appreciate the dentist!
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
At 24, I still have all of my wisdom teeth and, after reading this thread, I'm greatly inclined to hang on to them
biggrin.gif

I tried to keep mine too, but they grew in so far that I was no longer able to close my mouth!
basshead.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
At 24, I still have all of my wisdom teeth and, after reading this thread, I'm greatly inclined to hang on to them
biggrin.gif

my dentist told me that all that wisdom teeth do is come through in order to shunt your other teeth about a bit, after that, they are useless.

they are so far back it's difficult to clean, and if you are lucky enough not to ahve any impacted ones, they will probably decay eventually

Jul 26, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #36 of 54
wooooooo, i've just come back from having them out, and i feel lovely.

the worst part was having the canula put in the back of you're hand. pain free after that

plus: you get to be high for an afternoon for free!

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #37 of 54
I had one wisdom tooth removed a couple of years ago (the others grow straight and don't bother me). First went to my school dentist who tried to yank it out for half an hour or so. She finally gave up, ordered a new appointment to another dentist, gave two painkillers to go, and sent me home. Needless to say I didn't sleep much that night with the tooth dangling in my mouth and hurting like Hell. The other dentist didn't have any problems with the tooth. Just needled in some anesthesia and jerked the tooth out.

Still I think the worst part were the syringes in my mouth. I don't generally hate needles but I definitely don't want them in my gums.

And yes, this made me hate dentists even more.

Aug 10, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #40 of 54
I had all four yanked at once, after a few shots of novocaine. Let me tell you the worst part isn't having them pulled out, it's after, when the drugs wear off, and your mouth begins to sieze up and swell. I mean sure, it isn't a pleasant experience with the immense pressure you feel all the way down your neck when the Doc is jerking and twisting, all the crunching and popping sounds, the nasty smells, the mouth full of blood, ect, but that's the easy part. If you can take the aftermath without painkillers, you have my respect.

Aug 16, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #42 of 54
here's the way to deal with wisdom teeth removal, pretend you're in the ramones....

"I WANNA BE SEDATED!!!"

he he

Aug 16, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #43 of 54
Well, I got back a little bit ago. Vicodin's working quite well; gotta love this stuff. GF was over to make me some jello and a milkshake(and she's making me dinner tomorrow, so this isn't bad at all
wink.gif
). The swelling's not too bad, but I keep on forgetting that I can't lean my face on my hand.

Have to say though, that was my first time having anasthesia. Quite an odd experience. I got it through the IV. The surgeon just told me that if I think of happy thoughts I'd be out faster. Well, next thing I remember is waking up in a different room, having no recollection of me walking to it.

Aug 16, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrzejpw
Have to say though, that was my first time having anesthesia. Quite an odd experience. I got it through the IV. The surgeon just told me that if I think of happy thoughts I'd be out faster. Well, next thing I remember is waking up in a different room, having no recollection of me walking to it.

Sounds very much like my experience, andrzejpw. However, they gave me some Valium or something (pills) long before the IV. I just remember babbling my head off, just before I went under, about how much I liked the good Dr.'s sports car...

Next thing I know, I'm in that "different room" you mentioned.

Overall, it wasn't the nightmare that had been described to me by so many before the procedure...actually, it was kinda fun...

BTW, I don't think I actually "walked" to that "different room" because I woke up on a gurney...I think they moved me there.

cool.gif

Aug 17, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #45 of 54
I've had 3 extractions, all on my baby teeth "for the sake of a straight smile". I think it was a total of 5 teeth, like two baby molars, two cuspids, and something else. Anyway, I had two of them done back in PA where I was born, and both times they used this gross nitrous oxide that smelled like bubble gum. It was so gross, it could make you gag, and then after the operation you would still smell it for like a day or two. UGH. Then I had one done in NJ here where I live today, and the stuff didn't have any smell. It was actually the most pleasant surgical operation I've had to date. Just sit down in a comfy chair, and BAM you're out, then you wake up real tired in a room with gauze in your mouth.

Then you eat milkshakes for like a week...what a shame.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back